Russian Ice Dance champion Zhiganshin retires

hanca

Values her privacy
Ruslan was probably the best she could get at the time (I like him, but yeah, maybe they aren't 100% well-suited). Khaliavin only became available after she and Ruslan had already paired up, and I can't think of anyone else. IIRC, Guerreiro was already skating with Zahorski.
Tkachenko was available.

blue_idealist

Tkachenko was available.

I forgot about him, oops. I'm not sure if that would have been any better. I can never remember much about Tkachenko, even what he looks like, since his partners always show up more strongly, it seems (both Riazanova and Tobias).

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm not sure he was available, available. If Tobias/Tkachenko officially teamed up right after the 2014 season, then chances are Tobias knew Stagniunas was planning to retire and was already in talks, or, Tkachenko wasn't interested in continuing, but when presented with the opportunity to skate with Tobias again, decided the offer was good enough. By this time, he was older and married, and, perhaps, his wife thought it would be a good opportunity.

Back in the day, when he described his American partner's father's private helicopter that took them to practice, he said that he was happy to have a Russian partner and represent Russia at the highest levels. Teaming with reigning Olympic Bronze Medallist Ilinykh would have given him an excellent shot at being the highest-ranked Russian team shortly out of the gate with a chance for a high international placement, especially with D/W and V/M out of the way for at least one season, and the Russian Fed's lukewarm support for B/S. So if there were serious talks about the potential pairing/interest with Ilinykh, either 1. His priorities changed since the first time they (T/T) skated together, 2. He decided that skating with Ilinykh wasn't worth it, or 3. There was a sekret tryout that didn't work out and, improbably, no one leaked it.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I'm not sure he was available, available. If Tobias/Tkachenko officially teamed up right after the 2014 season, then chances are Tobias knew Stagniunas was planning to retire and was already in talks, or, Tkachenko wasn't interested in continuing, but when presented with the opportunity to skate with Tobias again, decided the offer was good enough. By this time, he was older and married, and, perhaps, his wife thought it would be a good opportunity.

Back in the day, when he described his American partner's father's private helicopter that took them to practice, he said that he was happy to have a Russian partner and represent Russia at the highest levels. Teaming with reigning Olympic Bronze Medallist Ilinykh would have given him an excellent shot at being the highest-ranked Russian team shortly out of the gate with a chance for a high international placement, especially with D/W and V/M out of the way for at least one season, and the Russian Fed's lukewarm support for B/S. So if there were serious talks about the potential pairing/interest with Ilinykh, either 1. His priorities changed since the first time they (T/T) skated together, 2. He decided that skating with Ilinykh wasn't worth it, or 3. There was a sekret tryout that didn't work out and, improbably, no one leaked it.
I thought Kustarova grabbed Elena and persuaded her to have a try out with Zhiganshin. There was an interview saying that Zhiganshin went home to have some time off and she phoned Zhiganshin to tell him to get his butt back to the rink that she had set up the try out. So it is possible that Elena did not approach Tkachenko because Kustarova got to her first and persuaded her that they look good with Zhiganshin.

blue_idealist

Wow. I didn't know Tobias's father had a helicopter that took her to practice! I knew he was rich, though, or at least had heard that.

quirky rhumba

Tkachenko mentioned in some interview some time later that his coach Gorshkov got a call from Ilinykh but then nothing again and he learnt she teamed up with Ruslan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information