ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2017/18 Olympic season

tas

Going to NHK is the dream, but that's not going to happen...:notworthy:

I'm super excited this season to see how some of the newcomers (mainly Vincent, Cha, Aliev, Alina, Marin) will perform in the senior circuit.

Dobre

If C/B were submitted as return skaters, I think this would be the first time that any were skipped. I can't remember any that weren't given *two* in the initial selection.

Polina Edmunds & Josh Farris are both return skaters that did not receive two in the initial selection, correct? Or are the asterisks meant to imply two including potential host spots?

Also A/W(and Duskova/Bidar for that matter) both have to qualify at Nebelhorn in September, which is when the JGPs that include a pairs event are. There's no point in spending time on multiple layouts and competing so close to the qualifying event when the Olympics are on the line.

There could be a point if there are more team qualification points for Australia medaling in three JGPs versus a low finish in one senior GP. (I feel like I read this somewhere, though I no longer know if it is relevant for the next stage of team qualifying). Nebelhorn, of course, would still be first priority for A&W and team Australia.

If all the spots are filled with higher-ranked teams, though, then all the spots are filled. If all the spots are filled & we are leaving out junior world champions, then IMO that is a strong argument for expanding the number of available spots. (And for filling openings when they become available *cough* TEB last season).

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Polina Edmunds & Josh Farris are both return skaters that did not receive two in the initial selection, correct? Or are the asterisks meant to imply two including potential host spots?
I mean up until now. The Announcement is pretty clear that if a return skater is from a host nation, they expect any second spot to be given by the host, which USFS has not done. If they didn't get two, it's on USFS. If C/B were submitted as a return couple, it's unconscionable that they didn't get one, if everyone guaranteed theirs got them.

dinakt

If all the spots are filled with higher-ranked teams, though, then all the spots are filled. If all the spots are filled & we are leaving out junior world champions, then IMO that is a strong argument for expanding the number of available spotss. (And for filling openings when they become available *cough* TEB last season).
This. I am quite sore that Alexandrovskaya/Windsor did not get a GP. The rule about Junior World champions having a guaranteed GP should be reinstated, and, I think, include the medalists, as well. The transition into the Seniors is hard enough without depriving young teams of their chance to move up in standings (especially teams from smaller Federations who cannot just wave a wand and have a host pick arranged).
The situation with Coomes/Buckland is murky, as well- especially since it seems from Penny's tweet that it is an unexpected slight for them, not some strategic choice.
#givemorespotstopairsanddance!
PS. NHK rosters are dreamy.

Dobre

If C/B were submitted as a return couple, it's unconscionable that they didn't get one, if everyone guaranteed theirs got them.

Yes, it's very odd. It's not like Shpilband has never gotten in a team that's a close call before, much less a slam dunk. Coomes & Buckland's score from the 2016 Worlds slides in after Hawayek & Baker and just ahead of Zahorsky & Guerreiro. There are at least 17 dance teams ranked below that on the GP. It's why I wonder if the British Fed missed the return-skater deadline somehow. Coomes & Buckland did have a tough time getting a second GP spot after missing Worlds in 2015. But the field has expanded since then. I could see C&B not having made it with eight; but with ten, they should be safely on the list & logically-speaking with two. Provided they are healthy enough to compete.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The rule about Junior World champions having a guaranteed GP should be reinstated, and, I think, include the medalists, as well.
Right now, medalists and JGPF champions are eligible for a pick. Minimally make it mandatory that any Jr. Worlds medallist or JGPF champion who is not from a host nation be guaranteed one. They could also guarantee one non-host pick to the host's top-ranked skater/team if more than one make the Jr. Worlds podium or win JGPF. If there are others from the same host, the host can use a host pick or TBD independent from whether another host gives them one.

MAXSwagg

I'm assuming Russia had a higher pick than Canada when it came time to allocate the men who finished 1-3 at Worlds. If Canada could have chosen Hanyu, I'm guessing they would have, since his presence would have had an immediate impact on ticket sales.

When Hanyu was announced for Skate Canada in Mississauga and Lethbridge, the lower bowl each year sold out within hours of the GP assignments being released. It was amazing to watch online how fast tickets were selling. For this year in Regina, the lower bowl is mostly sold anyway, but an announcement of Hanyu being assigned there could have potentially sold out most of the entire rink.

Seeing how tickets really didn't move at all yesterday, I think SC will probably have to hope for large walk-up crowds or people waiting for single event tickets to go on sale, in order to try and sell most of what's left.

Looking forward to attending my 3rd SC in a row, and being able to see Olympic programs early in the GP season! :cheer2: :biggrinbo

Yes. My friend and I were 100% planning to go to SC but since Yuzuru is not there, we are not going. We will be going to Autumn Classic if he starts there again, however.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I think its fine that the A/W didn't get a spot, when taken in context with the actual fields and the fact that there are only 8 teams per event (which sucks, but that's another battle). Which of those teams are they supposed to beat? Maybe the JPN team? Anyway they will probably gather a spot when other teams withdraw, but if all they get are senior B events, maybe that will serve them just as well. Also, Australia is super far from everywhere not Asia. I wouldn't want to bother with the flight, personally. :p I am thinking half the top 10 retires after this season so then there should be more opportunities.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Which of those teams are they supposed to beat? Maybe the JPN team?

Actually, at Senior Worlds, they beat three of the teams that got at least one, if not two: Suto/Boudreau-Audet (2), Denny/Frazier (1), Ziegler/Kiefer (1).

It's not just their own momentum this presents issues for. It's Australia's qualification for the team event. The Czechs and anyone else in Team Australia's vicinity just got handed a HUGE free kick.

greenapple

My understanding is that the reigning World champions get to choose their GP events and are not selected or chosen in a draw.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
That's nowhere in the stated rules, and the hosts can trump that with a host spot in the 1-3 group.

Allegedly the podium gets to choose what's left after host spots, in podium order.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

It may not be in the stated rules, but I've heard suggestions that this is the case as well. I think the World champions (and probably World medalists) let their feds know what their preferences are, and then it probably all gets discussed at the GP meeting. I mean, medalists are going to be reasonable about their picks. Like, Sui/Han probably aren't going to request Rostelecom, knowing it's Tarasova/Morozov's home GP. Virtue/Moir aren't going to request France, knowing it's Papadakis/Cizeron's home GP.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Also, Australia is super far from everywhere not Asia

They don't train or spend that much time in Australia though right, so I dont get that statement.

Even Harley's mama says she barely sees the kid.

And Brooklee trains out of NYC and sometimes FL from what I heard.

Sylvia

TBD
They don't train or spend that much time in Australia though right, so I dont get that statement.
Alexandrovskaya/Windsor train in both Sydney and Moscow.
And Brooklee trains out of NYC and sometimes FL from what I heard.
Off-topic: Brooklee Han has been based in Dallas since last year. Brendan Kerry is based in Los Angeles (Riverside) and Kailani Craine splits her time between Australia and Los Angeles.

Here's the breakdown of the 42 pairs spots that were assigned at the GP selection meeting:

Top 10 Pairs at 2017 Worlds (were each guaranteed 2 GPs):
1 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) (SB 1, WS 6
2 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT (GER) SB 2, WS 3
3 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV (RUS) SB 3, WS 1
4 Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG (CHN) SB 7, WS 14
5 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) SB 6, WS 8
6 Liubov ILYUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN) SB 9, WS 5
7 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) SB 5, WS 2
8 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA) SB 4, WS 4
9 Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK (ITA) SB 11, WS 7
10 Alexa SCIMECA KNIERIM / Chris KNIERIM (USA) SB 12, WS 16-tie

Top 24 in both SB and WS - 7 of the 11 teams received 2 GP assignments:
Julianne SEGUIN / Charlie BILODEAU (CAN) SB 8, WS 9
Cheng PENG / Yang JIN (CHN) SB 10, WS 24
Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT (RUS) SB 13, WS 11
Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO (CAN) SB 14, WS 23
Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER (USA) SB 15, WS 21
Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA) SB 16, WS 10
Anna DUSKOVA / Martin BIDAR (CZE) SB 17, WS 15
3 of the remaining 4 teams received 1 GP:
Kristina ASTAKHOVA / Alexei ROGONOV (RUS) SB 18, WS 13
[Not submitted by RUS? Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV (RUS) SB 19, WS 20]
Marissa CASTELLI / Mervin TRAN (USA) SB 22, WS 19
Tarah KAYNE / Danny O'SHEA (USA) SB 24, WS 16-tie

Top 24 in SB only:
Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG (CHN) SB 20* - received 2 GPs (RUS & FRA)

*It seems that SB scores could have been weighted the most in the selection process?

Top 24 in WS only:
12 Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER (AUT) - received 1 GP
22 Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU-AUDET (JPN) - received 2 GPs (1 was a host spot; the other came from Russia who, in theory, had at least 2 opportunities to select the Australian pair with the Russian girl but chose not to?)

6 host spots in pairs are still TBD. That totals 48 spots.

Season Best total scores (next in line without an assignment): http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2016-17/sbtspto.htm
25 Ashley CAIN / Timothy LEDUC USA
26 Tae Ok RYOM / Ju Sik KIM PRK
27 Alina USTIMKINA / Nikita VOLODIN RUS (ISU Junior age-eligible)
28 Camille RUEST / Andrew WOLFE CAN
29 Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER AUT (WS 12) - received 1 GP
30 Alisa EFIMOVA / Alexander KOROVIN RUS
[31 Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU-AUDET JPN (WS 22) - already have 2 GPS]
32 Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR AUS (Junior Worlds gold)

Last edited:

greenapple

That's nowhere in the stated rules, and the hosts can trump that with a host spot in the 1-3 group.

Allegedly the podium gets to choose what's left after host spots, in podium order.

It is not in the rules but that is how it works. They do not choose what's left - they get to choose their events first. One of the benefits of being a world champion.

meggonzo

Banned Member
I'm surprised USFS wouldn't give Cain/Leduc the TBD spot at SA since they didn't get any other spots, unless they are assuming they will pick one up as alternates? :confused:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I'm surprised USFS wouldn't give Cain/Leduc the TBD spot at SA since they didn't get any other spots, unless they are assuming they will pick one up as alternates? :confused:

Well, as I think @Sylvia pointed out, at number 25, they are next on the list.

But USFSA loves the TBD spots. All 4 disciplines have them, and every year they usually do. One good thing is that USA has enough talent to consider and reflect on who they could go to. Other countries its rather obvious who their host spots go to as talent isn't as deep.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It is not in the rules but that is how it works. They do not choose what's left - they get to choose their events first. One of the benefits of being a world champion.
Right, so if Fernandez, when he was WC, wanted Japan, the Japanese Fed would have skipped Hanyu. Or if V/M wanted France, the French Fed would skip P/C or, Skate Canada would skip Chan, or the French Fed Joubert, or the Russian Fed, V/T.

I don't think so.

Seerek

There could be a point if there are more team qualification points for Australia medaling in three JGPs versus a low finish in one senior GP. (I feel like I read this somewhere, though I no longer know if it is relevant for the next stage of team qualifying). Nebelhorn, of course, would still be first priority for A&W and team Australia.

I believe it's only the single best point earning result per discipline that counts.

It's true that a Junior Grand Prix gold is worth more towards team event qualification than last place in Senior Grand Prix. As it is, Australia may end up qualifying if countries ahead of them don't qualify for Pyeongchang for a required minimum # of disciplines.

MAXSwagg

Lol Javi trying to get Japan. Funny. NHK spot is Hanyu's, and rightfully so. I bet Skate Canada is scrambling since revenue will be down...

Marco

It's unfortunate that Cain & LeDuc didn't get sufficient cred / points / standings for a GP invite from their several opportunities last season. Same for the Aussie pair.

If a spot opens up, I think I am going to be torn on which pair I will root for getting that spot. If C&LD will at least get the host pick, then I hope the Aussie pair gets a shot first. This is ofcourse after Nebelhorn anyway so their Olympic fate would have been sealed at that point.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

It's unfortunate that Cain & LeDuc didn't get sufficient cred / points / standings for a GP invite from their several opportunities last season. Same for the Aussie pair.

If a spot opens up, I think I am going to be torn on which pair I will root for getting that spot. If C&LD will at least get the host pick, then I hope the Aussie pair gets a shot first. This is ofcourse after Nebelhorn anyway so their Olympic fate would have been sealed at that point.

I was feeling the same way about the Aussies until I read in another thread that someone said that if they got a Gold or Golds in the JGP that would be worth more than say coming in 8th place in Senior GPs as far as points go towards qualifying into team event for Olys (Aussies TOTAL points towards team).

I think there is 0% chance that we won't see Cain & LeDuc in the GP. They will for SURE get SkAm if they aren't picked up elsewhere.

Id Love to see Stellato & Bartholomay get a shot still too. Their maturity works for me on the ice!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I was feeling the same way about the Aussies until I read in another thread that someone said that if they got a Gold or Golds in the JGP that would be worth more than say coming in 8th place in Senior GPs as far as points go towards qualifying into team event for Olys (Aussies TOTAL points towards team).

Great! Except:

- That would mean going into Nebelhorn with no Senior momentum, added to the already thorny issue of little-country PCS;
- That would mean having to train both the Junior and Senior layouts of their FS, rather than just the Senior;
- The four JGPs with pairs are all in very tight proximity with Nebelhorn (one is actually the same weekend) meaning they would have to do the most important event of their careers within a week of another competition.

YukiNieve

There's a random draw for each discipline among the hosts. Although not described in the Announcement, people have posted that the hosts pick first, and then they go by groups until everyone guaranteed two and then one have been selected, and then they fill in the rest. There's a specific order to be sure skaters who are guaranteed spots get them, that everyone gets (at least) one from each Worlds grouping, etc. etc.

Thanks and sorry for the late reply.

So, for example, Russian federation picks a skater first since Rostelecom Cup is the first GPS event, and then there is a draw for the other 5 countries to decide who gets to choose (invite) a skater next?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Great! Except:

- That would mean going into Nebelhorn with no Senior momentum, added to the already thorny issue of little-country PCS;
- That would mean having to train both the Junior and Senior layouts of their FS, rather than just the Senior;
- The four JGPs with pairs are all in very tight proximity with Nebelhorn (one is actually the same weekend) meaning they would have to do the most important event of their careers within a week of another competition.

Totally get it! And that was how I was thinking until yesterday.

Now Im rethinking it... I say go in and win your JGP events (because they probably won't finish any higher than 7th at a GP event with that current competition) get the points hopefully to get Australia into Team Event at Olys...

These kids are young and have energy galore.. I say they can wing it again doing Jr and Sr.

After the Olys when lots of senior teams retire, they can reposition themselves on the senior scene as a much better threat for the new cycle staring 18/19.

Don't get me wrong I wanted them in the Senior GP bad... and they still could but Im looking at it at another angle now.

Now, having said all that I could be totally wrong..LOL. going night-night now. Well, after I watch me an Angela Nikodinov video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information