Disson Skating Shows discontinued

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
As linked on the Facebook page - from: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...keting-and-Sponsorship/The-Lefton-Report.aspx
COMINGS & GOINGS: After 28 years and hundreds of made-for-TV shows featuring top gymnasts and skaters, Steve Disson has decided to hang up his skates. He insists retirement is not in his future, “it was just time to do something altogether different.” Disson’s first made-for-TV skating/gymnastics special, “The Sudafed Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular” in 1989, was not altogether different from his last: January’s “The Colgate Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular.” Each included Nadia Comaneci and Bart Conner, first as participants and more recently as hosts. “I had an option to continue procuring shows for ABC, but I just thought this would be a nice way to end it,” said Disson, the first marketer to work for ProServ, an original sports marketing firm and antecedent of today’s Octagon. Outside of skating and gymnastics, Disson produced events around basketball, beach volleyball and bicycling for networks that included ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, USA Networks, Bravo and the Hallmark Channel. As for what’s next? “Something in sports and entertainment,” he said. “I just wanted a new challenge.” …

mollymgr

I wasn't expecting it to be done so soon. They had signed a "multi-year agreement" with Colgate and ABC in 2014 which made it seem like it would be around longer. That just leaves SOI as the the only big event for show skating in the US and that's not even televised.:wuzrobbed After reading the SOI thread, I wonder how long that will survive.:wuzrobbed

Barbara Manatee

I am disappointed! I'd hoped they'd at least run through next year to take advantage of the Olympic interest. Maybe if the US wins a couple of medals someone else will give it a shot.

mollymgr

I am disappointed! I'd hoped they'd at least run through next year to take advantage of the Olympic interest. Maybe if the US wins a couple of medals someone else will give it a shot.
The sad part is none of the Olympic hopefuls can actually take part in it because it is right during the Grand Prix season. Most of them want to focus on their competitive events. It would have made sense to have these during the off season so more current skaters could participate.

Willowway

Regardless of my occasional quibbles with formatting, etc., these shows gave Kulik's Krew so many wonderful times and such great opportunities to see Ilia, and other terrific skaters, do their thing. I have nothing but gratitude and appreciation for all the shows, will miss them and the lovely Disson folks who produced them. I am hoping that for a coming generation of pro skaters something will rise naturally to fill the void.

Last edited:

midori

So sad. Disson shows are big part of things that guided me into ice shows. We have broadcast of their shows in Japan, started right around the time I started following figure skating, and through watching them I found many great entertaining performances by professional skaters.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Sad. I especially loved the Family Tribute shows.

Some of the shows were becoming so cheesy, with voice-overs of screaming teens in audience (esp. the gym show), but it was all that existed on U.S. TV on the "pro skating" front. The interest in skating, in the USA, has hit rock bottom. This is reflected in this news. Sigh.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

I wasn't expecting it to be done so soon. They had signed a "multi-year agreement" with Colgate and ABC in 2014 which made it seem like it would be around longer. That just leaves SOI as the the only big event for show skating in the US and that's not even televised.:wuzrobbed After reading the SOI thread, I wonder how long that will survive.:wuzrobbed

The almost-certain fact that the upcoming Olympics in Korea will likely be the worst for Team USA - particularly the prospect for USA Ladies, which is what really counts with the general public, let's face it - portends a gloomy future for figure skating's entertainment value in this market. Disson sees it; hence, it's time to get the heck out of Dodge!

The gay community alone cannot prop-up men's and ice-dancing figure skating in the US forever. Sorry for Nathan Chen and Shibs. If they take the Gold in the Olympics, the best that they can hope for is a gig with Dancing w/ the Stars or a job on a cruise ship.

Last edited:

Meredith

what a glorious day!
I just want to express my appreciation to Steve Disson for the opportunities he gave a diverse group of skaters over the years. As a skating fan and member of Kulik's Krew it was a pleasure to attend several of these shows, which remain some of my favorite skating memories.

I will miss the shows. Disson and his staff were a class act.

kittyjake5

The almost-certain fact that the upcoming Olympics in Korea will likely be the worst for Team USA - particularly the prospect for USA Ladies, which is what really counts with the general public, let's face it - portends a gloomy future for figure skating's entertainment value in this market. Disson sees it; hence, it's time to get the heck out of Dodge!

The gay community alone cannot prop-up men's and ice-dancing figure skating in the US forever. Sorry for Nathan Chen and Shibs. If they take the Gold in the Olympics, the best that they can hope for is a gig with Dancing w/ the Stars or a job on a cruise ship.

I would not worry about Nathan or the Shibs. They always can get work in Japan they are very popular in that country. I don't think we will
be seeing the Shibs or Nathan on a cruise ship anytime soon. :rolleyes:

That said I am disappointed to hear the news about the Disson shows. They were a mainstay for so many years and I will miss them.

blue_idealist

They don't show SOI on American TV anymore? The Canadian version is still shown (on CBC).

Frau Muller

I would not worry about Nathan or the Shibs. They always can get work in Japan they are very popular in that country. I don't think we will
be seeing the Shibs or Nathan on a cruise ship anytime soon. :rolleyes:

That said I am disappointed to hear the news about the Disson shows. They were a mainstay for so many years and I will miss them.

I was just thinking in the USA. How crazy that the best opportunities for US skaters are in Japan.

glorybox64

This is such sad news, as cheesy as the Disson shows had gotten.

Fingers crossed that something - anything - crops up to fill the void of televised professional opportunities for the crop of skaters who were showcased in these events. I'd still love to see a rebirth of a small "Masters"-style pro competition circuit, though that seems unlikely..

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information