From Russia with love [#27]: Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from th previous thread:
On Thursday I was in Tartu at Alexei Mishin's training camp. Carolina Kostner was there, Lisa Tuktamysheva, Andrei Lazukin, Alexander Petrov, younger ones. Lisa and Alexander were working with new choreographer Adam Solya (Jorik Hendrickx's choreographer) on their free programs. I interviewed Carolina and Lisa together with Andrei, stay tuned. :)
Alexander Abt has been working as a permanent coach at the rink since one and a half years and he says he is very happy there. His little son Semion already was on the ice ;-). Sascha Abt teaches skating skills in the training camp.
New interview with Nina Mozer: http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/299...e-v-mire-to-s-kem-my-budem-sorevnovatsya.html
( Google translation )
In June, a similar camp, however, a little in a different format, we will conduct in America, Denver, and there have already registered 27 pairs. ... Vladislav Zhovnirsky and Robin Szolkowy will have a few days with me. Experienced American coaches will come to Denver, and one of the topics that we plan to discuss is how to approach athletes in modern conditions. This is a very important and subtle point.
It's great to hear that Team Mozer will participate in USFS' National Pairs Camp (senior/junior), June 10-17, in Westminster, Colorado!

zebraswan

Dave has power? In his dreams maybe...

Anyway, I was more interested in the part of the article where Nina mentions another coach possibly joining her team...someone who already has pairs. Who could it be?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
She haven't mentioned whether it's juniors or seniors, however, who coaches pairs in Moscow except for Pavlova and Dmitriev?

zebraswan

Well, Vasiliev moved to SPB, so I guess it's possible a coach from outside Moscow could move there...but probably logistically difficult to move multiple pairs in that scenario. I hope it's Dmitriev. Plus Sergey Komolov is on vacation with the Mozer guys, although that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Sylvia

TBD
Bringing over a few more items from the previous thread:
Same link says the Junior test skates are scheduled for August 10-11 in Novogorsk.
I visited Tamara Moskvina's new ice rink in St. Petersburg today [Friday 19 May]. Her school has moved there at the beginning of May. It is a great facility they have now. Boikova/Kozlovskii were there working on the free program (music not confirmed yet, it may still change) with Peter Tchernyshev. Oleg Vasiliev has joined the group as a coach. He is there with Andrei Deputat (who is trying out with potential partners), Osipova/Tarasenko and Efimova/Korovin [E/K will represent St. Petersburg]. Artur Minchuk (Boikova/Kozlovskii's coach) has three other junior teams. Tamara Moskvina as the head coach supervises everyone and helps. There are also single skaters training in the school. Today I saw Andrei Kutovoi, he is too cute.
From what I understand he [Andrei Deputat] did try out with Katia Borisova, but she was not there anymore. Sasha Proklova is not there either.
As for Efimova/Korovin they were coached by Zaitsev at least at Russian Nationals and after that, apparently Pavlova was not working with them recently.
Interview with Ekaterina Borisova that was published on May 9th: https://babysport74.ru/ekaterina-borisova-figurnoe-katanie.html
( Google translation )
- As I understand it, now you have an important period in your life - a new partner will soon appear. Or has it already appeared?
- Has already.
"Tell me about it?"
- I can say one thing: he is an experienced partner and a knowledgeable person. I trust him.
Not sure when the interview took place (Borisova's icepartnersearch.com profile is dated May 2nd.)

According to this Google translation of article "International summer camp for pair skating is held in Novogorsk," participating Russian pairs included: Elizabeth Zhuk - Yegor Britkov, Anastasia Poluyanova - Dmitry Sopot (new), Elizaveta Martynova - Roman Zaporozhets, Elena Pavlova - Daniel Parkman (new), Olga Starikova - Vlad Kharitonov.
Pairs demonstrating at the ISU camp were Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov, Natalia Zabiiako/Alexander Enbert and Anastasia Yugai/Maxim Miroshkin.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It was such a pity Davenkova outgrew Deputat as they were so good together, but it was clear she was going to be too tall for him early on. I hope he finds another partner as he is pretty. Pity about Proklova, but not a real surprise given her injuries and other issues.

Stephanie

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I have an impression the test skates will be the official place for the skaters to retire. As Trankov mentioned in one of his interviews `they have to announce it officially'. So I expect Lipnitskaya, Volosozhar/Trankov and Zhiganshin to announce it there (obviously it's my own speculation back uped only with TRankov's interview and the info about Zhiganshin's retirement here).

hanca

Values her privacy
I confess I don't know a great deal about how these things are done, but it would seem a bit silly to train all summer in order to retire at the test skate.
With Volosozhar/Trankov, they will probably want to skate at some show, so the program what they would show at the test skate would not necessarily be a competitive program. Or a program built as a competitive program but with easier elements. But I agree that I can't imagine why would Zhiganshin train the whole summer and then retire. I believe the gossip is that they are not practicing at the moment, so if I/Z skate at the test skates at all, it would not be to retire (but they probably won't skate there).

Cherub721

YEAH!
My feeling was that Trankov wants to have programs ready and do the test skates on that itty bitty chance that they would be needed to do the Team Event. It's a possibility of a third Olympic gold medal just for doing an SP (or an LP against the B-teams) so it's hard to give up. With Z&E inconsistent and S&K always injured, the possibility is there. It seems that Voloshozhar still wants to train and compete but he doesn't want to train seriously, so this is like their compromise, kind of like in 2016 when they peaked for Europeans but kept themselves half in shape just in case they would be needed at Worlds due to S&K's injury. It isn't really a great strategy IMO to go into the Olympics half-assedly, but I think they are keeping it on the back burner. Just my speculation though.

Yehudi

AITA
I confess I don't know a great deal about how these things are done, but it would seem a bit silly to train all summer in order to retire at the test skate.

Who said anything about training? As Танька said, they won't consider you retired unless you put it in writing, so you can spend the whole summer in the Maldives and pull a salary. I believe Maxim Shabalin was still part of the team in the 2010-2011 season and still getting paid, even though everybody knew he was done, because didn't actually submit it in writing.

Xela M

My feeling was that Trankov wants to have programs ready and do the test skates on that itty bitty chance that they would be needed to do the Team Event. It's a possibility of a third Olympic gold medal just for doing an SP (or an LP against the B-teams) so it's hard to give up. With Z&E inconsistent and S&K always injured, the possibility is there. It seems that Voloshozhar still wants to train and compete but he doesn't want to train seriously, so this is like their compromise, kind of like in 2016 when they peaked for Europeans but kept themselves half in shape just in case they would be needed at Worlds due to S&K's injury. It isn't really a great strategy IMO to go into the Olympics half-assedly, but I think they are keeping it on the back burner. Just my speculation though.

Except the Team Gold is now Canada's to lose. Russia would need divine intervention to win it

Cherub721

YEAH!
Except the Team Gold is now Canada's to lose. Russia would need divine intervention to win it

Canada is the favorite but Russia has a decent chance. Russian pairs are capable of beating Canadians in pairs, or staying just one or two points below. Russian women are capable of winning both rounds and it'll depend on whether Canada can put up second places and stay close. Russia will lose a few points in ice dance but have to try to stay within two places of Canada. The men will be tougher, but Kolyada has actually beaten Chan a couple of times (2016 Worlds and 2017 WTT)... he won't if Chan is clean but he could stay close or beat Chan with mistakes.

Sylvia

TBD
Team Russia's Grand Prix assignments (2 assignments each for 6 men, 8 women, 5 ice dance teams & 3 pairs; 4th pair Astakhova/Rogonov has 1 GP): http://www.fsrussia.ru/news/3001-so...v-etapov-serii-gran-pri-sezona-2017-2018.html

Rostelecom Cup (Moscow, Russia). 20-22.10.
Men
: Dmitri Aliev (debut), Mikhail Kolyada + 1 TBD.
Pair Ksenia Stolbov - Fedor Klimov, Yevgeniya Tarasova - Vladimir Morozov + 1 team TBD.
Women : Evgenia Medvedeva, Elena Radionova + 1 team.
Dancing : Ekaterina Bobrova - Dmitry Solovyov, Aleksandra Stepanova - Ivan Bukin +1 team TBD.
"Moscow stage of the Russian participants of the third Grand Prix of the rooms will be determined after the test skates, which will be held in early September in Sochi."

Skate Canada. Regina (Canada). 27-29.10.
Men
: Maxim Kovtun, Alexander Samarin (debut).
Pair Natalia Zabiyako - Alexander Enbert.
Women : Anna Pogorilaya, Maria Sotskova.
Dancing : Alla Loboda - Pavel Drozd (debut).

«Audi Cup of China». (Beijing, China). 3-5.11.
Men
: Mikhail Kolyada, Alexander Petrov.
Women : Elena Radionova, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Alina Zagitova (debut).
Couples : no Russian participants.
Dancing : Ekaterina Bobrova - Dmitry Solovyov, Tiffany Zagorski - Jonathan Guerreiro.

NHK Trophy. Osaka (Japan). 10-12.11.
Men
: Dmitri Aliev, Sergei Voronov.
Couples : Kristina Astakhova - Alex Rogonov, Kseniya Stolbova - Fedor Klimov.
Women: Alena Leonova, Evgenia Medvedeva, Polina Tsurskaya (debut).
Dancing : Victoria Sinitsina - Nikita Katsalapov.

Internationaux de France. Grenoble (France). 17-19.11.
Men
: Alexander Samarin.
Couples : Evgeniya Tarasova - Vladimir Morozov.
Women : Maria Sotskova, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Alina Zagitova.
Dancing: Alla Loboda - Pavel Drozd, Aleksandra Stepanova - Ivan Bukin.

Skate America. Lake Placid (USA). 24-26.11.
Men
: Maxim Kovtun, Alexander Petrov, Sergei Voronov.
Pair Natalia Zabiyako - Alexander Enbert
Women Alena Leonova, Anna Pogorilaya, Polina Tsurskaya.
Dancing : Victoria Sinitsina - Nikita Katsalapov, Tiffany Zagorski - Jonathan Guerreiro.

hanca

Values her privacy
The same we heard four years ago. I wouldn't celebrate Canadian victory yet. Canadian ladies can be great like at worlds 2017, or they can be average and be beaten by Russia and Japan. Canadian pairs may be also great (they were world champions), or they can skate as they did at worlds 2017. I know they were injured, but the level of pair skating has moved and they will have to do their hardest elements to get decent marks, and the hardest elements are risky. They land it and get a lot of points, or not land it and get burried. Even if they were healthy, l can't imagine that at 2017 worlds they would have placed better than bronze, if we take into consideration Savchenko/Szolkowy and Sui/Han's skating. Canadian men can be beaten by Japanese, Chinese and USA men.

hanca

Values her privacy
Today there is the meeting in Moscow skating federation to make decision about skaters changing coaches, changing clubs, skating for other countries etc. Moscow federation is only a part of the Russian federation, so it won't be for the whole Russia but only for the skaters who skate in Moscow or surrounding areas, but last year we learned from that about quite a few changes. I can't wait when they post the report from the meeting.

hanca

Values her privacy
Bummed that Proklova is retiring. :( She was so good.
There have always been certain amount of girls who looked very promisisng, but puberty and injuries prevented them to stay at that level or transfer it successfully to seniors. It is very sad, but it's life. When watching Sakhanovich from 3-4 years ago, it makes me feel quite sad too. It shows how one can't make predictions based on junior success. From those four newly eligible that season, I liked most Proklova and Sakhanovich, and much less Medvedena and Sotskova. But no one could predict which of them would make it to the top, which of them will be in contention (not quite on top but still in the group to be counted), and which of them will not make it at all.

Looking at the newly junior eligible for this coming season, I am wondering who from Tarakanova, Trusova and Scherbakova will make it, and who will go Proklova and Sakhanovich's route.

Last season, Tarusina was looking promising (based on the results from the summer before and the junior nationals) and then the serious injury at the beginning of the season completely derailed her progress. After she returned, she was not as consistent as she used to be. I wonder if she will manage to get back on track, or whether this injury took away the best chances she had.

caseyedwards

The same we heard four years ago. I wouldn't celebrate Canadian victory yet. Canadian ladies can be great like at worlds 2017, or they can be average and be beaten by Russia and Japan. Canadian pairs may be also great (they were world champions), or they can skate as they did at worlds 2017. I know they were injured, but the level of pair skating has moved and they will have to do their hardest elements to get decent marks, and the hardest elements are risky. They land it and get a lot of points, or not land it and get burried. Even if they were healthy, l can't imagine that at 2017 worlds they would have placed better than bronze, if we take into consideration Savchenko/Szolkowy and Sui/Han's skating. Canadian men can be beaten by Japanese, Chinese and USA men.

Isn't a big issue the absence of any really high quality competitive men?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think Team gold is for Russia to lose, but thery won't have it sewn up before the final FS/FD starts. There's only one entry/country for each segment, and depth isn't important within segments.

Germany wouldn't make the FS, and it will be up to Savchenko to decide whether she even wants to compete. If Germany 2 does the SP, that could well mean a point closer between RUS and CAN, who have to be hoping that S/M, Kostner, C/L, P/C, Sui/Han, Jin, N. Chen, K. Chen, and the Shibs or C/B play spoilers and get between RUS and CAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information