ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2017/18 Olympic season

nyrak

I thought Adelina Sotnikova was coming back next year? Coached by Plushenko? Or was I making that up?

Skate Canada roster looks awesome - can't wait!

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
The ice dance selection looks a bit ?? (but it probably makes sense checking the SBs and world standings?)

For example Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen and Parsons with only one GP, no Hurtado/Khaliavin or Min/Gamelin, but two spots e.g. to Pogrebinsky/Benoit and Abachkina/Thauron, one for Kuzmichova/Sinicyn.
I guess the TBD Skate America should go to the Parsons.

Adding Coomes/Buckland on top of the list of the 'wtf' reactions looking at the selections :confused:
Hopefully some spots open up for them and the other deserving teams.

DobrinFan

I thought Adelina Sotnikova was coming back next year? Coached by Plushenko? Or was I making that up?

That's the plan (like every year) but as of now, she is injured (ankle) and Plushenko says the main goal is recover and then test skates in September. That's when, according to Gorshkov, the TBD spots at RC will be decided.

angi

Bad news everyone. There's a reason Coomes & Buckland didn't get any events: https://twitter.com/PennyCoomes/status/868190252430753792
That means no Nebelhorn Trophy either, and probably no Olympic berth, even if they're healthy by then.:wuzrobbed
She broke it last year and they missed the entire season, she's (semi)healthy now and was surprised they did not get assigned and wondered if this is the math they did, they will go to Nebelhorn Trophy I believe.

clairecloutier

Ah. So it was as I first thought and this is a classic case of big country feds being too chickenshit coward assholes to pick up a little country team that might beat theirs. Back to angry now. :angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

I would hesitate before jumping to that conclusion. The 5 teams that @kwanfan1818 mentioned above, who got 2 non-home country slots, are all substantially higher than A/W on the seasons-best list. Therefore, I don't see how the hosts can be accused of cowardice in picking them. Basically, the teams they chose are more likely to beat their own teams than A/W (or C/LD, R/W, or E/K) would be. So if anything, they made it tougher on themselves.

It is a mystery why so many teams that were only guaranteed 1 spot actually got 2. It does seem like there must have been a group decision to pursue that course. I don't know what the rationale was--maybe rewarding teams that did qualify, maybe feds wanting to build up their potential Oly pairs as much as possible. Whatever the reason, I don't think it was cowardice.

Have we considered the possibility that A/W decided to stay junior on the Grand Prix and didn't actually submit for senior Grand Prix? AFAIK, they never stated publicly that they were going for senior GP--just Nebelhorn. Duskova/Bidar were in the same position last year and chose to stay on the junior GP.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Have we considered the possibility that A/W decided to stay junior on the Grand Prix and didn't actually submit for senior Grand Prix? AFAIK, they never stated publicly that they were going for senior GP--just Nebelhorn. Duskova/Bidar were in the same position last year and chose to stay on the junior GP.

I would highly, highly doubt it. They need to build momentum so that they can qualify for the Olympics and help Australia qualify for the team event. They would know this. And jumping back and forth between Junior and Senior programs would be hard work in a season where they need to be ready for Seniors.

Whatever Duskova/Bidar did last year is irrelevant. This is the Olympic season. Totally different kettle of fish.

chameleonster

Also A/W(and Duskova/Bidar for that matter) both have to qualify at Nebelhorn in September, which is when the JGPs that include a pairs event are. There's no point in spending time on multiple layouts and competing so close to the qualifying event when the Olympics are on the line.

jtpc

I'm assuming Russia had a higher pick than Canada when it came time to allocate the men who finished 1-3 at Worlds. If Canada could have chosen Hanyu, I'm guessing they would have, since his presence would have had an immediate impact on ticket sales.

When Hanyu was announced for Skate Canada in Mississauga and Lethbridge, the lower bowl each year sold out within hours of the GP assignments being released. It was amazing to watch online how fast tickets were selling. For this year in Regina, the lower bowl is mostly sold anyway, but an announcement of Hanyu being assigned there could have potentially sold out most of the entire rink.

Seeing how tickets really didn't move at all yesterday, I think SC will probably have to hope for large walk-up crowds or people waiting for single event tickets to go on sale, in order to try and sell most of what's left.

Looking forward to attending my 3rd SC in a row, and being able to see Olympic programs early in the GP season! :cheer2: :biggrinbo

J

Jeschke

Let the TBD speculations begin!

Men:
RUS: Shulepov
CAN: Elvis
CHN: :confused:
JPN: Drama-Hino
USA: Miner SP; Dornbush FS

Ladies:
RUS: Konstantinova
CAN: Schott :p
USA: Zhang

Pairs:
RUS: Yuko/Sasha
JAP: Mari/whoever
USA: Cain/LeDuc
All other spots (CHN/FRA) are better given to non-host-entries for the sake of god.

Ice Dance:
RUS: Wife/Finnboy
NHK: Danes
FRA: Lorenza/Puky
USA: Penny/Nick

A boy can dream :gallopin1

Sylvia

TBD
Misha Ge's message (re. his GP selection to RUS & FRA): https://www.instagram.com/p/BUmVrTlBCwU/
*Note* in recent two days there a lot of people texted me and congratulating me about next season (as they see my name on the GP list). To clarify : as my federation did put me on the list, is far to the final decision to be on the next season. There many circumstances and difficulties need to be seeing and think to finalize everything. #ThankYou

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
When MK was getting SA and SC, they were back to back and the first events of the season. So she got to get her programs out there, two competitions within the span of 10 days, probably no more than a 3 hour time change at most, then she could sit back, apply the feedback she received and watch everyone else while she built up to a 'peak' for the GPF.

Now SC and SA are the 2nd and last events, respectively. That is not a great schedule for anyone, imo.

But missing GPF in the Olympic season is really far from the worst thing that could happen to a ladies skater, imo.

Let the Russians and Japanese have their mini nationals, lol, while you beef up your levels for early 2018.

I'm hoping that Mariah and Mirai look at their schedule as an 'all pressure off' set of circumstances. Winning their events is out of the question, just go for broke! Focus on doing your absolute best!

topaz

It's looking like Grenoble is going to be my choice. However, NHK lineup is great and I'm seeing deals on expedia between $1200 to $1600(hotel/air w/taxes and fees) for 4 nights in Osaka.

However, I know getting nhk tickets will be virtually impossible.

So Coco and JKL... I would welcome company in Grenoble :)

SkateFanBerlin

It's looking like Grenoble is going to be my choice. However, NHK lineup is great and I'm seeing deals on expedia between $1200 to $1600(hotel/air w/taxes and fees) for 4 nights in Osaka.

However, I know getting nhk tickets will be virtually impossible.

So Coco and JKL... I would welcome company in Grenoble :)

Looking at Grenoble also. When do tickets go on sale?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
@topaz IT IS VERY TEMPTING!

I was thinking about Skate Canada, but the flight to Regina looks to be about as expensive as getting to Grenoble....more or less :)

jkl

@topaz As much as I would love to do Grenoble this year doing Worlds in Helsinki consumed my 2017 skating budget.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Will I need to "travel afar" if I ever hope to meet you?

I don't think so. Eventually we will live binationally but that might not be til we retire. If they would put SKAM in a reachable place I'd be more likely to get there on a US trip! (Grumble.)

And @topaz if we are both in Grenoble, you know I'm gonna put a small Sephora order in with you before you leave :D

Last edited:

topaz

I don't think so. Eventually we will live binationally but that might not be til we retire. If they would put SKAM in a reachable place I'd be more likely to get there on a US trip! (Grumble.)

And @topaz if we are both in Grenoble, you know I'm gonna put a small Sephora order in with you before you leave :D

Be still my heart there is a Sephora Store in Grenoble.
Located in: Grand'Place
Address: Grand Place, 38100 Grenoble, France

Skating and Sephora is a dream day for me. It's destiny!!!! I just got back from a Las Vegas/Denver trip last week(my cousin graduated from UNLV). I drove from LV to Denver with my dad, stayed a few days and drove back to Milwaukee last week.

I have some opportunites to work overtime, so I will definitely take advantage of that.

topaz

@jkl - I completely understand. However, I am seeing hotel/airfare deals to Grenoble from $800 to $1000 for 4 nights(11/15 to 11/20) on expedia.

@Coco - at those prices it is cheaper to go France than it is to attend the North American GP events. That's silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information