WHAT MEDAL DID YOU WIN IN YOUR LAST COMPETITION?

FSWer

Say,I was wondering what color Medal all our Skaters won in their last Competition? If you do more then one Discipline, please say the Medal you won in the last competition in each Discipline.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Silver, but that was years ago, I skated against a 12 year old and there were only 2 of us competing! I didn't care about the medal, just glad I competed after several years and skated well.

ioana

Silver in adult silver freestyle and bronze in adult silver spins. This was a well-attended local competition but I was mostly happy to have done good forward camels in all events. Definitely not a fan of that spin, so doing all 3 of them was a big deal for me :).
I don't always control how much training time I get before I compete, depending on my work schedule, so I mostly worry about skating well for how much training time I had. As long as that happens, am happy regardless of placement.

FSWer

Silver in adult silver freestyle and bronze in adult silver spins. This was a well-attended local competition but I was mostly happy to have done good forward camels in all events. Definitely not a fan of that spin, so doing all 3 of them was a big deal for me :).
I don't always control how much training time I get before I compete, depending on my work schedule, so I mostly worry about skating well for how much training time I had. As long as that happens, am happy regardless of placement.
ever
COOL!!! I've never heard of Adult Silver Spins.

FSWer

Silver, but that was years ago, I skated against a 12 year old and there were only 2 of us competing! I didn't care about the medal, just glad I competed after several years and skated well.

How do you have a competition with only 2 Skaters?

Yazmeen

FSWer, not every competition is like Nationals or Worlds. Local competitions may only have a few skaters in each competitive category. Normally, I wouldn't have been competing against a young person except that we were the only two that signed up for that particular part of the competition. It's also possible to skate "against the book" - meaning you are the only competitor. That doesn't happen often, it's more common in recreational skating (non-USFS) competitions. But it's also possible to occasionally not get first place when you skate against the book if certain moves are required in your skate and you don't complete them.

I hope you understand that many of us here compete in more local and regional competitions, not Nationals or international competitions you may see on TV. That's part of the fun of skating - there is lots of opportunity to compete as long as you skate well enough to meet the requirements/basics of the individual competitive categories.

Last edited:

ioana

COOL!!! I've never heard of Adult Silver Spins.

Most competitions have separate moves, spins and jumps events that they offer in addition to freestyle and interpretive events. All that means is someone who doesn't have enough time to put together an entire program but would like to compete, can still do so. Here is the competition announcement from the event I did, in case you want to see what that requires.

Adult Silver max length 1:30
1. Camel spin (3)
2. Layback, sideways leaning or sit spin (4)
3. Combination spin with at least one change of position, no change of foot (3 in each position)

http://comp.entryeeze.com/Files/CASC 2017 Competition__ Announcement 2.13.2017 v2.pdf

FSWer

FSWer, not every competition is like Nationals or Worlds. Local competitions may only have a few skaters in each competitive category. Normally, I wouldn't have been competing against a young person except that we were the only two that signed up for that particular part of the competition. It's also possible to skate "against the book" - meaning you are the only competitor. That doesn't happen often, it's more common in recreational skating (non-USFS) competitions. But it's also possible to occasionally not get first place when you skate against the book if certain moves are required in your skate and you don't complete them.

I hope you understand that many of us here compete in more local and regional competitions, not Nationals or international competitions you may see on TV. That's part of the fun of skating - there is lots of opportunity to compete as long as you skate well enough to meet the requirements/basics of the individual competitive categories.

Can you explain how that works? Any youtube clips of any?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

@FSWer if there are YouTube clips, they wouldn't show anything other than someone doing a program. If a competition is being filmed by a professional photographer - who will sell DVDs or photographs of what they film - you usually are only allowed to post a video of your own program online. If the skaters were allowed to post video of the entire competition, the professional photographer would not make any money selling DVDs, because people could just watch the skaters in YouTube.

When we say that a competition only had one or two skaters, we usually don't mean that was the number for the entire competition. We usually mean that is the number for the category we were in. I've skated in competitions where I was the only skater in my category, and I've skated in competitions where there were 15 or more skaters in my category. How many skaters there are in your category really depends on how many skaters sign up and how many have passed the same tests as you.

Skating "against the book" means that you are the only person entered in your competitive category. When that happens, the judges can't judge your performance compared to someone else, because there's no one else in the same category. So when you skate "against the book" the judges judge you by how well you perform each move in your program, compared to the standards for the skating test you passed to be in that category. As @Yazmeen says, if the judges don't think your program as you do it in the competition would be good enough to pass the test, you can end up in second place or even lower, even if you are the only skater.

I once saw someone place fourth when they were skating "against the book". She had a really bad performance and the judges gave it very low marks.

Yazmeen

No, because any YouTube clips would have to be up personally by the skaters. The best way I can explain this is that there are many types of competitions, small and larger. Including some geared more toward recreational skating, meaning skaters at beginner levels on up. There is a world of skating and competition beyond what you see on TV and YouTube. And it all starts with learning basic skating skills in any type of learn to skate program you are in, whether private or group lessons. The most important thing, however, is learning to skate first and getting your basics down. My first coach didn't allow me to compete until I had the basic skills down for the level I was competing at. And my current coach and I are not even discussing ice dance competition until my skills in my new skates improve to the level where I could realistically compete well in solo ice dance. You don't just compete because you want to; you have to have the skills to do it.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
My last individual competition I got the bronze in my dance event (I was in first after the first dance but got too, um, enthusiastic in the second dance and dropped in the standings), and finished in second to last in my freestyle event. That was ok, though, as I hadn't done freestyle in years and only did it because AN was at my club. I had a blast skating the program and that's what counts.

My last synchro competition we took gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information