Scratch spin body position

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
hey everyone, I have a question re the body position during a forward scratch spin. With a back scratch spin, the shoulders should be facing the right side (ccw rotation), but with a forward scratch spin, should the shoulders be facing the left side or should they be square?

Thank you!!!

treesprite

Are you talking about the entry or the spin itself? I have never heard of having shoulders facing sideways for either a back scratch spin or a forward scratch spin.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Are you talking about the entry or the spin itself? I have never heard of having shoulders facing sideways for either a back scratch spin or a forward scratch spin.
The spin itself. Like for a back spin, the shoulders are facing the right side since I'm trying to stay on the right side, otherwise the spin falls to the left ( I have a feeling I'm not explaining myself very well... :fragile:)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The spin itself. Like for a back spin, the shoulders are facing the right side since I'm trying to stay on the right side, otherwise the spin falls to the left ( I have a feeling I'm not explaining myself very well... :fragile:)

I don't understand this either. Your shoulders should be square like @treesprite says. If you're moving any of your upper body to keep you over one side or the other, it's usually your arms. Like if you are doing a CCW backspin on your right foot, you might clasp your hands over the right side of your chest, instead of in the centre of your chest. But your shoulders would stay the same no matter if you were doing a forward spin or a back spin.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
I don't understand this either. Your shoulders should be square like @treesprite says. If you're moving any of your upper body to keep you over one side or the other, it's usually your arms. Like if you are doing a CCW backspin on your right foot, you might clasp your hands over the right side of your chest, instead of in the centre of your chest. But your shoulders would stay the same no matter if you were doing a forward spin or a back spin.

Really? Whoops :slinkaway

Thanks guys :40beers:

antmanb

I think this is an area where coaches differ. On the Backspin every single coach that teaches Mishin's technique will have you keep the shoulders facing to the right on backspins, the idea being you want as little movement in the upper body with the exception of arms coming in. Even at full spinning speed the shoulders are checked to the right and the arms are in close to the body.

That then translates back to every single jump entrance (bar the waltz or axel) - shoulders are checked round to the right and the speed of the arms coming in is what controls rotational speed and that checked position to the right is the entrance to every single jump, again bar the waltz or axel, the air position you achieve, and the checked landing position on the exit.

Most coaches I've come across teach that the right arm coming in is what controls the rotation on the backspin, but the left arm pulling out is what controls the rotation on a forward spin so you end up with shoulders square. Some of the Mishin technique coaches, however, are teaching a shoulders checked to the right position on a forward upright spin. I had varying degrees of success trying it, but usually default to using the left arm on forward spins and ending up with shoulders square.

Last edited:

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
I think this is an area where coaches differ. On the Backspin every single coach that teaches Mishin's technique will have you keep the shoulders facing to the right on backspins, the idea being you want as little movement in the upper body with the exception of arms coming in. Even at full spinning speed the shoulders are checked to the right and the arms are in close to the body.

That then translates back to every single jump entrance (bar the waltz or axel) - shoulders are checked round to the right and the speed of the arms coming in is what controls rotational speed and that checked position to the right is the entrance to every single jump, again bar the waltz or axel, the air position you achieve, and the checked landing position on the exit.

Most coaches I've come across teach that the right arm coming in is what controls the rotation on the backspin, but the left arm pulling out is what controls the rotation on a forward spin so you end up with shoulders square. Some of the Mishin technique coaches, however, are teaching a shoulders checked to the right position on a forward upright spin. I had varying degrees of success trying it, but usually default to using the left arm on forward spins and ending up with shoulders square.

Thank you! Glad I wasn't completely crazy :p yeah I guess my coach uses the mishin approach for back spins, and it's worked really well for me. My forward scratch isn't as strong, and I thought maybe my shoulders shouldn't be square, but I guess it's something else that's the issue ;)

You all rock!

Doubletoe

Backspin (CCW): Hips, torso and face are squared, but left arm & shoulder are closed (never opened out to the left) and right shoulder and elbow stay pulled a little to the right throughout the spin.
Forward spin (CCW): Head and left arm/shoulder rotate to the left for the entrance edge, but once you hook the spin and bring the free leg to the front, everything should be completely squared.

Ironically, I'm now finding the forward upright spin harder than the back upright as well. It used to be the opposite. To get a good forward upright spin I need to really focus on sweeping the left arm into the circle and following it into that concentric circle, curling the entrance edge and feeling the blade staying level and controlled until it's time to hook the spin. Once I hook the spin, keeping the free leg extended straight in front of me until I've centered the spin really helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information