DWTS Season 24

nubka

I thought the ending was horrible.

Here's your mirror ball...but you can't celebrate with your friends. Instead we are going to get on this stupid looking golf cart for no real reason, to go outside so that nobody gets to see you celebrate with your friends because we will run out of time! Whee!

I agree - I hated that! It totally ruined the moment.

bardtoob

Yeah, sure :rofl: . . . David Ross :rofl: . . . is a better dancer than Nancy Kerrigan and Simone Biles :rofl:

pixie cut

Yeah, sure :rofl: . . . David Ross :rofl: . . . is a better dancer than Nancy Kerrigan and Simone Biles :rofl:

No one said that. Okay, maybe someone said it, but I missed that. Seriously, of course he's not, but for whatever reason people connected with him more. That's the essence of the show. Like how SYTYCD changed it's saying to "American's Favorite Dancer." The celebrities who win DWTS capture a moment or have a big fan base. Sometimes, they're the best dancers, like Meryl Davis, but sometimes they just get the votes.

skatesindreams

We have discovered over the years that contestants attached to "team sports" often control the outcome.
Their fans support/vote for them in droves; even if they wouldn't ordinarily even watch DWTS.

bardtoob

Seriously, of course he's not, but for whatever reason people connected with him more.

Merican Meritocracy! F"*kYeah!

That's the essence of the show. Like how SYTYCD changed it's saying to "American's Favorite Dancer."

A judging panel of experts in Ballroom Dance gave him perfect scores. Let that sink in, perfect scores from Ballroom Dance experts.

The celebrities who win DWTS capture a moment or have a big fan base. Sometimes, they're the best dancers, like Meryl Davis, but sometimes they just get the votes.

Sometimes you are told you are too perfect to be good, and sometimes you are told you are perfect when you are completely hopeless.

I'm not certain why you were defending the show against my rhetorical comment but ... So how is the blue pill?

https://youtu.be/zQ1_IbFFbzA

Last edited:

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over the results considering this is a TV show for entertainment purposes. If it were a true ballroom competition, there wouldn't be any audience voting involved. It happens every season, some people overstay their welcome, others are bounced way too early. Both of those happened this season, and will in future seasons.

A judging panel of experts in Ballroom Dance gave him perfect scores. Let that sink in, perfect scores from Ballroom Dance experts.

They did. For a freestyle dance.

screech

Count me in as another one who hated the ending. I always loved seeing the cast members rush out to congratulate the winners. IMO Sasha should have been able to run out to congratulate them, and I feel like they missed out on that moment.

Also, I loved Emma and Rashad's interview after winning with Access Hollywood. Melissa Rycroft said to Emma that she knew how much she wanted it and Emma said something like 'I never really wanted it. It's silly." But that she wanted Rashad to get everything he deserves. Kind of makes me think of when Maks finally won with Meryl, and he said that it's crazy because the trophy is just plastic, but it has so much meaning.

To be fair, only Julianne and Len are really ballroom experts...

Normani left me cold from the very first episode. And her 'fans' are really turning me off right now. Any time I've come across something online about DWTS the last few days, there's tons of 'Normani was robbed' and 'Normani was the best' and 'this is a joke' comments. Not even just about David but also about Rashad. I know she's not the one telling them to say those things, but it keeps me from wanting to be a fan.

pixie cut

I appreciate him as a baseball player as much as any as well as that he tried, but even doing freestyle there was a heaviness to his steps and awkwardness to his body movement.

So don't watch it.

The finals are almost always judged way too high.
The freestyle routines are not judged on technique, but moreso on entertainment value.

This is not a full on dance contest. A myriad of factors come into play -- likability, fan base, entertainment value, social media presence, popularity of the pro partner and sometimes dancing. It's not a level playing field. If the reality of this reality show distresses you, tune out. It's not required viewing. Find a more full on dance show. Any show that has viewer voting will have strange results. On top of that, the producers give instructions. That's the way it plays.

bardtoob

Seriously, of course he's not, but for whatever reason people connected with him more. That's the essence of the show.

So don't watch it . . . If the reality of this reality show distresses you, tune out. It's not required viewing. Find a more full on dance show. Find a more full on dance show. Any show that has viewer voting will have strange results.

@pixie cut please keep in mind I was dealing with it with humor, hence the :rofl: emoticons and used no negative words. You went all "Seriously" :TT1:.

:lol: . . . G*d, I am a figure skating fan that comments on Figure Skating Universe (FSU). I know how to deal with "strange results" :p I laugh and b!^*h :D and apparently you wanted to hear me b!^*h by taking my laughter all "Seriously" :ds1:

Last edited:

bardtoob

Rashad and David were critiqued on their dancing. Simone was criticized for her personality. Big difference. I think the judges' incessant harping made her more self conscious and internalized. Judges judge. It's part of the entertainment value of the show, but this is clearly a sensitive young woman. Come up with another angle.

That's the essence of the show. Like how SYTYCD changed it's saying to "American's Favorite Dancer." The celebrities who win DWTS capture a moment or have a big fan base.

I have a variety of thoughts when I consider that you expressed mixed feelings about the show before the final results, then chose to defend the show after the final results. Among them are that your response had nothing to do with me or my post :rolleyes:

. . . I will keep the armchair psychology to myself.*

If only Simone had bared her soul the way David has each and every week.............................

I trust you're being sarcastic.

Also, I am thinking sarcasm confuses you.

No one said that. Okay, maybe someone said it, but I missed that.

---------------------------
*Hmmm . . . Is it armchair psychology if I am technically qualified to teach psychology at a community college level? . . . Yep, right up there with "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? . . . The world may never know." :p

Last edited:

pixie cut

. . . I will keep the armchair psychology to myself.*

Also, I am thinking sarcasm confuses you.

You know, you're right. I'm stupid. You're the wittiest. Also, I'm medicated. Right? Oh wait, of course, that was sarcasm not inappropriate rudeness because you have to obnoxiously one-up someone who disagrees with you and show your fabulous insights and quick wit.

Just a thought, if you have to tell someone you're being sarcastic, you missed the mark and you're just obnoxious.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
I think David Ross should have won. I mean, c'mon. How many football players and gymnasts and singers have won? Major League Baseball wuzrobbed.

This was not a serious post. It was an attempt at levity. The writer apologizes if anyone is concerned, offended, or hurt by this post.

bardtoob

Alas, when I said directly about myself that I b!^*h, I thought obnoxious was implied and I was being self-aware.

I'm also not required viewing. I'm just a person that laughingly mocked DWTS results, then got an explanation of the business model and told the show was not appropriate for me, a figure skating fan during a season that included a famous figure skater.

I don't think this was inappropriately rude or directed at any one individual, but, once again, I am not required viewing if somebody felt I was speaking to them, unless they were producers, production staff, cast, or a broadcasting executive because, of course, I'm the consumer :2faced:

Last edited:

pixie cut

Some day I would love to read a tell-all book about DWTS that includes all the behind-the-scenes maneuvering, hookups, celebs/pros who hated each other or other celebs/pros, politics, if certain pros chose their celeb partners, etc.

I cannot believe one hasn't been written, but either there's something in the contracts restricting it or the celebs just want their paychecks and the dance pros want to keep their jobs.

bardtoob

I have heard that certain dancers have thrown fits until they got the ringer (ie figure skater, gymnast, other kinetically aware performer/athlete). Isn't it well known that Max did this in order to get Meryl?

screech

A lot of the hook ups and relationships are fairly well known. It would be interesting to know whether they were all true or not. Karina engaged to both Mario Lopez and Maks. Maks having a fling with Cheryl before getting with Peta (and apparently with Erin for a while). Derek supposedly with Shannon Elizabeth, Joanna Krupa, and Katherine Jenkins. Val with Amber Rose (and it was rumoured that Rumer Willis had the hots for him but he shot her down). Artem used to date Carrie Ann...

As for who hates who, they made a big deal about Maks' views on Derek getting ringers when both came back last year. With pros and celebs Cheryl Burke made it well known how much she hated Ian Ziering, and Maks and Hope Solo's hatred of each other is pretty well known.

What I'd love to see is the numbers game. Exactly how many votes people get and how it's all calculated. The websute PureDWTS tries to calculate how many more votes celebrities need each week to overcome points deficits. Like Celeb A had 3 points less in the scoreboard than Celeb B, and was 2 points ahead of Celeb C, meaning if B and C had X and Y votes more than A, A would be eliminated. It kind of makes my head hurt.

I'd also like to see how much the judges actually know. I find often that if a celeb is in jeopardy or eliminated, that will happen to be the night that they get their highest scores and the most praise. It's one of the reasons I preferred the 2-night format because there was no way for the votes to affect the judging like it seems to now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information