The Shoma Uno fan thread - Go for número UNO!

S

SmallFairy

He says Turandot which he skated in his debut season in Sr field is the program he loves and he has lots of memories with it. He says he's excited, and it'll be fun as well as difficult to skate it again. He wishes to show how he improved since the debut season.

As for Winter, he says he'll skate it in summer shows although the image of the program is winter.

Any thoughts, guys?

I cross-post from the program thread:

"I love Winter!!!!! It's the one overused piece I never grow tired of, as who can grow tired of Vivaldi? Brilliant choice for my man!

I'm no fan at recycling programs, but look what happened when queen Shizuka brought back her Turandot for Olympics:DAnd Uno's Turandot was pretty amazing. I guess the program will have some rework, but maybe he need time cleaning up his jumps and technique instead of doing choreo? Or maybe he's learning yet another quad?"

Thanks @rosewood for writing about Shoma's thoughts on re-using Turandot. I love that he fees he is more mature and can bring more to the choreo now. I'm actually never worried about his programs, he always pays such attention to detail, he can make me love any music. (Like Daisuke, he's the only skater who could make me re-watch a POTO-program over and over, and even that horrid rumba:p)

floskate

Vacant
If there was one good point made in the TSL men's recap of World's it was Johnathan Beyer's suggestion that Shoma skate to Elgar's cello concerto played by Jacqueline du Pre. That would have been amazing :swoon:

Suffice to say I'm not thrilled about this. :(

S

SmallFairy

Oh sigh, YES! Elgar it must be! But I guess not this season....

tamms

Can't wait to see the programs! I wonder if he'll keep his green costume for Turandot? A new one would be nice since he's grown since then.

Winter by Vivaldi is a gorgeous piece. So happy he's skating to it!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
We've seen/enjoyed the process of the progress of his programs (especially this season's LP which lots of people complained about at the beginning of this past season) these years. I'm kind of imagining we'll see this type of process next season again. Wish it'll be the most exciting and fulfilling, EVER. :cheer:

kittyjake5

Love his SP choice but surprised about using Turnadot again. I am sure it will be fabulous!

kittyjake5

^ I don't think Shoma has much do to with the decision regarding his programs or choreography. I have read
numerous times in interviews where he says he leaves all of that up to his team and that he trusts their decisions, which have been very successful so far.

The circumstances may change in the future as he matures as a person and skater and he may want to have more input
into his programs but right know he is satisfied.

tamms

I remember Kurt Browning mentioned in one of the CBC coverage of Worlds that Shoma doesn't have any interest in picking his music (?) and whatever music he's given to skate to, he "interprets the hell out of it". Seems to be successful so far as @kittyjake5 as pointed out.

MAXSwagg

I remember Kurt Browning mentioned in one of the CBC coverage of Worlds that Shoma doesn't have any interest in picking his music (?) and whatever music he's given to skate to, he "interprets the hell out of it". Seems to be successful so far as @kittyjake5 as pointed out.

Shoma himself explicitly said Higuchi chooses his musics...

Areski

Shoma performed his new SP at FOI "Winter"

It is a little bare right now but the base is there and it has the potential to be a knockout.
Love his "Dai" pose to the audience half way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCSspS_fRyc

Big thanks :)

Attendance in Makuhari and all those shows even without Hanyu confirm exceptional status &
popularity of figure skating in Japan.

Last edited:

tamms

Big thanks :)

Attendance in Makuhari and all those shows even without Hanyu confirm exceptional status &
popularity of figure skating in Japan.

We also have Mao and Dai to thank for being the trailblazers and bringing the sport to its current state of popularity there. But that’s another topic hehehe.

Back to Shoma! His SP definitely has lots of potential. I can’t wait to see a refined version at the GP events. Also liking the music cuts so far.

Curious as to see how Turandot 2.0 will turn out. It’s too early to find out, of course, but it was a good program to begin with so making it Olympic medal worthy will be a tough job.

Sylvia

TBD
Uno, Ouriashev prove to be winning combination
Japanese prodigy has sought out coach last two years for jump expertise

Posted 8/22/17 by Philip Hersh, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/08/22/249936070
It was a perfect mid-August morning, sunny and dry with a temperature in the low 80s. On such a summer day, most people would do anything to get outdoors.
That is where field hockey player Itsuki Uno, 15, and his father, Hiroki, were going to be. They were headed for the golf course, just as they had almost every day during the Uno family's three-week stay in the Chicago suburbs.
Itsuki's older brother, Shoma, 19, would not be in the golfing party.
"I don't particularly like being outdoors," Uno said through an interpreter, with a sly grin that needed no translation.
By the time Uno's three-week stay in the Chicago suburbs ended Sunday, he had landed both a quad lutz and a quad salchow, the coach said.
Uno's plan is to have a fifth quad in his free skate this season after having done four -- two quad toes, a quad flip and a quad loop -- last season.
Such are the demands on top male skaters in an era when the quad ante seems to ratchet up every year.
"I'm amazed at how fast everyone has improved," Uno said. "Fortunately, I am one of them, so it doesn't feel that hard to compete at this level."

Last edited:

Roux

He could very well be going for a 3A-4T... Oddly enough, just yesterday I happened across this video of him doing one in practice at 4CC last year: https://youtu.be/-mtRcGSxpic?t=1m50s
So now I've found this calculation of base values that shows a 3A3T in his layout for that competition (two other 4T in there). I've never paid too much attention to jump layouts, so that's all the info I have at the moment, and I should probably get some work done now... XP

Roux

So, yeah, looks like he changed his layout at 4CC to include the 3A+3T and completed it at both the Asian Winter Games and WTT last season. I could believe that he's going to try to put in a 3A+4T this season, and earlier!

antmanb

There's just no point in doing a 3A+4T under the current rules (there might be next year when the number of jumping passes is reduced in the LP). Unless the ISU ever comes round to giving second and third jumps in combination some kind of multiplier he's better off doing both jumps by themselves or in easier combinations.

Roux

^ I don't know, then. Is he planning ahead for the rule change? Trying crazy jumps as a break from routine? I don't understand these athlete people. XD

Interviews before and after SP:
http://shoma-uno.tumblr.com/post/167601253962/interviews-with-shoma-after-his-official
http://shoma-uno.tumblr.com/post/167602841157/shoma-after-the-short-program-november-17th

Aw, Shoma! He didn't look upset in the K&C. :( I know it's a ways behind Javier and his PB, but I think he could be proud of that SP. Well, the free will be harder to get through, but a good night's rest can make a big difference! :cheer2:

DDNatalia

I really hope his team understand how to pace him ... he is like a thoroughbred and one hopes he has enough in the tank at the right time this season. Seems like he came out super gangbusters at Lombardia, and since then, has been more of a mixed bag. AND I think Japan nationals is not the time to "put it out there" either necessarily. It's about February. And, then March.

kittyjake5

Shoma lost time training because of flu. He said that he was in bed for four days with fever and lost about 5 pounds. It was clear he was not 100% today. He also has been dealing with an ankle problem for awhile now. Poor guy. A lot of pressure on him from his Federation too. Good luck to him tomorrow fingers crossed that he can get through the LP

kittyjake5

For some reason I can't edit my above post.

Congrats to Shoma for winning the Silver Medal! Rough competition for
this young man but he did enough to get through it and secure his spot for
the GPF. :cheer2:

Roux

Yes, rough going but a good fight!

I so hope he can do well at the GPF in his hometown! It must be a terrible amount of pressure... but then, that's probably good practice in an Olympic year...

Roux

Is the 3A+4T particularly difficult/dangerous because the second jump is a quad and it's less likely to be landed, or...?
Just looking at Nathan's 4Lz+3T...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information