2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

lauravvv

They haven't done anything else Davis/White have done? D/W pretty much just skated to warhorses though, so Idk what the issue is.
They also skated to 'Polovtsian Dances'. But there is no big issue - just a thought. Both Shpilband and Zoueva tend to give music to their skaters that they have already used for other skaters. Of course, they are not the only ones who do that.

arakwafan2006

I think Shae-Lynn Bourne choreographed Elena's short program this past season. I loved it, and I think Elena was very committed to the choreography throughout the season. Wonderful news!

It was her!!! I did not care for the music but after I saw the way it transported her, i was sold. Shae does not work for everyone but when she connects with someone, it's refreshing material.

arakwafan2006

Elena Radionova will be working on her new Free Program with Shae-Lynn Bourne
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20170429/1119759859.html

Shae's perspective is so fresh and not traditional. She's young enough in age and at heart but mature as well. I actually like that she doesn't do busy choreography but allows the viewer to be drawn in and see and experience the movement and performances. I'm a fan of her work.

SkateFanBerlin

Now the question is what does Shae give her and how much of it will remain in the program?
She did something for Elena last year. Shae Lynn is a great choreograher and Elena is a "heart on the sleeve" type like Ashley. But the result seemed same-'ole-same-'ole. I assumed that coaches reworked it to cram as many points into it as possible. I am surprised Shae Lynn wants to work with her again.

analia

Not a fan of Shae Lynn's choreography. Can't remember a single piece I really like and that program she did with Daisuke was deplorable. On the other hand, Averbukh's programs for Radio were all pretty good in my opinion. Now if only he would give Evgenia those types of programs.

DobrinFan

Not a fan of Shae Lynn's choreography. Can't remember a single piece I really like and that program she did with Daisuke was deplorable. On the other hand, Averbukh's programs for Radio were all pretty good in my opinion. Now if only he would give Evgenia those types of programs.

I really miss Averbukh's programs for Rad. I haven't liked a program of her's since. Did not like Morozov's or Shae Lynn's or that Turandot Lp :scream:

skatingguy

decently
You just had to... :rolleyes:
Yes. Yes I did.

Really, not a single piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_exzrV6yMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyjfqsNdjv4

I really miss Averbukh's programs for Rad. I haven't liked a program of her's since. Did not like Morozov's or Shae Lynn's or that Turandot Lp :scream:
I agree (that's a strange sensation :rolleyes:), possibly the best Averbukh choreography - no gimmicks - mature choreography suited to the strengths and personality of the skater.

S

SmallFairy

I love Winter!!!!! It's the one overused piece I never grow tired of, as who can grow tired of Vivaldi? Brilliant choice for my man!

I'm no fan at recycling programs, but look what happened when queen Shizuka brought back her Turandot for Olympics:D And Uno's Turandot was pretty amazing. I guess the program will have some rework, but maybe he need time cleaning up his jumps and technique instead of doing choreo? Or maybe he's learning yet another quad?

analia

Yes. Yes I did.

Really, not a single piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_exzrV6yMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyjfqsNdjv4

I agree (that's a strange sensation :rolleyes:), possibly the best Averbukh choreography - no gimmicks - mature choreography suited to the strengths and personality of the skater.

Nope, especially Hanyu's POTO. I fail to see how that's remotely good.
On the very topic, the thought of Radionova skating to Titanic ruins my appetite on a daily basis. I'm entirely missing the 13-14 season with angsty Adelina, innocent Lip, perky Radi, Don Proklova, Pina Maria and Ballerina Evgenia in Zagitova's dress getting a 0 on her tremendous step sequence. Says a lot that I don't even remember what Pogo skated to that season.

VGThuy

Recycling the 3rd time was Arakawas lucky charme, not sure it works with 2 :p

This!

She did win Worlds the second time she did it. ;) Heck, she even recycled her SP that season too.

Not sure if I like the decision to reuse Turandot for Uno, but then it'll be most of the Olympic audience's first time seeing it.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
'Samson et Dalila' will probably suit them, but it's one more music choice from the Davis/White repertoire for them.

I really liked T/T in person, but then I was a fan of his with his previous partner. The good thing about that music is that it allows them to be sexy, dramatic grownups, which is clearly their strength.

I loved D/W's version but it was a long time ago.

VGThuy

I forgot that D/W's Samson and Delilah will be 9 years old when T/T skate to it.

lauravvv

I agree about POTO, but that's 'Semei' in that link. Bourne choreographed that program too. There is not as many choreographic nuances in it as you would probably like to see in a figure skating program, but I think it's still as good as a program with that technical content can realistically be if a skater wants to execute it cleanly.
There have definitely been programs choreographed by Bourne that I have liked. Daisuke's 'Mambo' was enjoyable, Hanyu's last LP was not that bad either (again, taking into consideration his technical content), and, unlike some other people, I personally liked the programs that she choreographed for Weaver/Poje. I think there were some other programs that I am not remembering right now.

As for Radionova's last SP, I don't understand how it can be seen as bad. Allright, the music is not to your taste (I am not talking just about you, as I don't know if that's your reason for disliking it), Radionova still has bad posture and not the best skating skills, but if you manage to look past that (especially as the latter is in no way Bourne's fault), you should be able to see that the choreo for that program is quite rich and nuanced, very appropriate for the music and accentuating it really well + really right for Radionova's temperament and strengths as a performer. I don't think that we can truly ask for more from a choreographer, except that they choose music that we love, but this one is not an objective criteria, as someone else might hate the music that we love, including the skater (which would be the worst possible scenario).

skatingguy

decently
On the very topic, the thought of Radionova skating to Titanic ruins my appetite on a daily basis. I'm entirely missing the 13-14 season with angsty Adelina, innocent Lip, perky Radi, Don Proklova, Pina Maria and Ballerina Evgenia in Zagitova's dress getting a 0 on her tremendous step sequence. Says a lot that I don't even remember what Pogo skated to that season.
Well I agree regarding POTO - though it was Hanyu who insisted on skating to that music and I think Shae-Lynn did what she could. Personally, if no one ever skates to POTO again ever, it will still be too soon for me. And yes, I didn't enjoy Radionova's free skate to Titantic either - that is a major motion picture that I've never mentioned to watch from beginning to end at one time though I think I've seen the whole thing if I pieced altogether - plus I know that in the end the boat sank.

I agree about POTO, but that's 'Semei' in that link. Bourne choreographed that program too. There is not as many choreographic nuances in it as you would probably like to see in a figure skating program, but I think it's still as good as a program with that technical content can realistically be if a skater wants to execute it cleanly.
From my perspective that program is the best men's free skate ever. It may not have the most technically difficult choreography but the choreography fits the music beautifully, Hanyu clearly is engaged in the program and gives it everything and that moment where he is doing forward crossovers towards the judging panel gives me chills every time I watch it. Doing everything and nothing in the same moment and the performance power to command the audience and the judges in that moment - it is a rare thing to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information