The Amazing Race 29 - complete strangers

BaileyCatts

^^ Yea, I agree. I bet they had to go thru a safety/training talk before they jumped that may have taken quite a bit of time. At least I hope they don't just strap you to a guy, kick you out the door and say "hang on"! :lol:

skatemomaz

Resist
Brooke and her nonstop whining is ridiculous. Loving Logan and London, Matt and Redmond, Joey and Tara, and Team Fun.
Ashton and Vanck are so badly mismatched it's almost painful to watch them.

Tinami Amori

^^ Yea, I agree. I bet they had to go thru a safety/training talk before they jumped that may have taken quite a bit of time. At least I hope they don't just strap you to a guy, kick you out the door and say "hang on"! :lol:

Tandemhopp Fallksjermsenter a Skydive company in the area is the only one allowed to do "snap-training" and tandem air-dives. They are is very easy going, they will not raise up above 1500-1600 meters even if you beg them and Instructions for a "tandem" jump takes 15-20 minutes, if it is your first time. Then assent about takes ..... 10 to 15 minutes, but the time before you jump depends how much "sight seeing" you want to do before jumping. Then the fall takes about 10 minutes (depending on wind).
So from the time they got to the helicopter platform, and the time they landed, all together could be between min 45 minutes (not likely) to 60 to 90 minutes.

First time to watch this season so I don't know who's who, but the girl in black crying because she can't cut the metal, needs to turn the sheers THE RIGHT way instead of whining. She had them upside down, the idiot.
exactly....... and none of them were doing it right by starting to cut out circle from the begining.. First you draw a cirle as close as possible to the edges in the corners of the metal sheet, then you cut out the square that encloses the circle, and then just cut the corners off.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EUniKpNlEyg/UT-LWSOgu7I/AAAAAAAAAJA/PhBW5ALy9aU/s320/b.png

Last edited:

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
Is there anything that Brooke can do? I feel like every small task she's whining I CAN'T DO IT. Making a ladle, finding a key in a drawer, eating a plate of fish, walking up stairs. And that's just in the last two legs, and I probably missed something in there.

I think it's kind of shitty that the fast forward task took longer than a detour and a roadblock combined. I could understand if a team had an express pass to use to bypass a challenge, but when two teams can easily fly past and come 1-2, that's kind of crappy. I miss the days where teams had to compete for the fast forward, instead of just the first team to get the clue goes for it and automatically gets it, assuming they complete the challenge. Also, what's up with all the lopsided detour options this season? The kayak fishing challenge had nothing to it if you read your directions correctly, Tara & Joey found the right lure at the first building they checked.

For some reason I'm just intrigued by how different Vanck and Ashton are and kind of want them to stick around as long as possible to see how it unfolds. Then again she's super annoying. But not as annoying as Big Beard. He's fine when they're leading. When they fall to the back he becomes such a monster.

Moto Guzzi

exactly....... and none of them were doing it right by starting to cut out circle from the begining.. First you draw a cirle as close as possible to the edges in the corners of the metal sheet, then you cut out the square that encloses the circle, and then just cut the corners off.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EUniKpNlEyg/UT-LWSOgu7I/AAAAAAAAAJA/PhBW5ALy9aU/s320/b.png
I would have killed that challenge as I've done metal working in jewelry making classes and this is how I cut out a circle. Brooke was doing so many things wrong and I was hoping she'd fail so I wouldn't have to listen to her whining.

Tinami Amori

I would have killed that challenge as I've done metal working in jewelry making classes and this is how I cut out a circle. Brooke was doing so many things wrong and I was hoping she'd fail so I wouldn't have to listen to her whining.
... and your punched-holes would have been nicer too.... there were some UGLY rough holes on the ladles... :lol:

D

Deleted member 1204

I'm not really enjoying this season. With all the bickering, it feels like something from the Bravo network.

(I so need to visit Norway though!)

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I'm not really enjoying this season. With all the bickering, it feels like something from the Bravo network.

(I so need to visit Norway though!)
Agree. I'm behind by 2 1/2 episodes and really don't care about catching up.

BaileyCatts

^^ I wish I could "like" that post a thousand times, because that exact phrase is exactly what I was thinking as well!! :rofl:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
It's like being caught in Millennial hell- they're all "I'm the best!" until they actually have to do something, and then they're all "I can't!" Boo hoo hoo, this is so unFAIR!

Well, Brooke does that. And maybe Shamir. But I don't see any of the others behaving that way.

BaileyCatts

OMG .... the look on Scott's face when Brooke said she didn't know she was being that vocal??!!!! :lol::rofl::lol::rofl: Oh man I hope someone has clipped that to put it up on You Tube. That's definitely a keeper! Oscar worthy performance for 'most dumbfounded expression ever'!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did anyone hear what the food was that they had to eat on the trolly ride? Having to eat it all before the trolly ride was over would be hard as it didn't seem like the trip was that long. And then they had to eat it all again! Yikes. Just from eating it fast and getting stuffed, I don't know that I woulda been able to wolf it all down that quickly.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Did anyone hear what the food was that they had to eat on the trolly ride? Having to eat it all before the trolly ride was over would be hard as it didn't seem like the trip was that long. And then they had to eat it all again! Yikes. Just from eating it fast and getting stuffed, I don't know that I woulda been able to wolf it all down that quickly.

The ride is called “ATMosfera”. It has only 2 rides per night, @ 20:00 and 20:30 o’clock. It has 3 menus. Meat, Fish, Vegi. Paid passengers choose in advance when booking. Contestants were asked in advance as a “general pref” question before the show started, without disclosing the specifics of the challenge..
For the record, imho, this ride is a total waist of time, the food is ok, but there is not much you can see out of the window when it gets dark shortly after 8 PM.

Meat
Grilled potato, roast beef and green sauce
Crunchy salad with balsamic vinegar and thin pork slices in carpione with onions
Paccheri with tomato confit, crunchy pork underbelly, sweet onion and Stracciatella cheese
Medium-to-rare beef sirloin (slow cooking) with stir-fried spicy Swiss chard and a beetroot-based mayonnaise
Yoghurt-based mousse with red fruits and mint
Coffee and biscuits

Fish
Crunchy puff pastry of brown bread, lemon and anchovy carpaccio in green sauce
Marinated salmon with citrus fruits, Taggiasca olives, mixed salad and yoghurt-based sauce
Risotto with wild herbs, wild mussels and sour cream drops
Steamed salt cod with tomato crema and almond cream
Coffee and biscuits

Vegi
Jelly of tomato, pomegranate and Ricotta cheese
Charcoal grilled aubergine, buffalo’s milk mozzarella, San Marzano tomato confit and basil
Sardinian dumplings with rocket- and almond-based pesto sauce with candied courgettes
Stir-fried green pods, poached agg and Mediterranean's herbs crumble
Coffee and biscuits

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
I am enjoying this season more than the previous couple that have aired, it seems a bit less pre-packaged and more along the lines of the seasons from the middle of the series. That being said, once again we get a completely lopsided detour option, IMO. Even whiner Brooke was able to make it up and down the gigantic rock pretty quickly.

If the series is picked up for more seasons, I would like to see an alteration to the double U-turn rules. First, it needs to be placed after the detour is finished. This season it is beforehand and basically there is little chance for placement shuffling beforehand. If everybody knows they have to get through the detour quickly to get to the board, you're going to get some very competitive action, and probably some pretty epic mistakes from time to time as people try to rush through. Better TV that way. Additionally, and I think more importantly, since teams have figured out how to burn the second U-turn option so that only one team has to take the hit, I would like to see a rule where when teams get to the board, they are required to take their picture out of the box so they can not be U-turned by another team after they have moved along.

It was glaringly obvious halfway through the episode that Vanck & Ashton were going home, especially with how quick everybody was getting through the rock climbing. Even if they hadn't gotten lost getting to the U-turn board, they wouldn't have even had a shot to make things interesting.

Tinami Amori

Melanzane - Aubergine (not calling it eggplant :p )
Gnocchi
Are you sure all they got just two dishes? (i'll re-watch...). If true then for 70 Euros per person TAR got ripped off...
https://www.atm.it/en/AltriServizi/TempoLibero/Pages/ATMosfera.aspx
There are 3 menus to chose from, with a lot more dishes. This is what one supposed to get.
https://www.atm.it/en/AltriServizi/TempoLibero/Documents/Meat Menu.pdf
https://www.atm.it/en/AltriServizi/TempoLibero/Documents/Fish Menu.pdf
https://www.atm.it/en/AltriServizi/TempoLibero/Documents/Vegetarian Menu.pdf

Melanzane should be about 6-8 euros
Gnocchi - 8 - 12 euros.....

Tinami Amori

As far as I could see those were the only two dishes served.
i re-watched, you're right!. each contestant, per ride, got 2 dishes. .. maybe it is special arrangement, probably is.

I think TAR missed a great opportunity for a challenge (instead of the trolley dinner ride), and that is counting spears on Duomo Cathedral. In order to do that one must start on the ground and then go to the roof.
http://www.shuhadaholidays.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/milan_cathedral_by_naiko7-d3c3224.jpg
https://cdn.getyourguide.com/img/tour_img-273135-70.jpg

...... or count all the gargoyles (there are 135 total)...
https://images.fineartamerica.com/i...-duomo-di-milano-italia-sally-rockefeller.jpg
http://footage.framepool.com/shotim...anta-maria-assunta-marble-sculpture-siena.jpg

Rogue

Sexy Superhero
If the series is picked up for more seasons, I would like to see an alteration to the double U-turn rules. First, it needs to be placed after the detour is finished. This season it is beforehand and basically there is little chance for placement shuffling beforehand. If everybody knows they have to get through the detour quickly to get to the board, you're going to get some very competitive action, and probably some pretty epic mistakes from time to time as people try to rush through. Better TV that way. Additionally, and I think more importantly, since teams have figured out how to burn the second U-turn option so that only one team has to take the hit, I would like to see a rule where when teams get to the board, they are required to take their picture out of the box so they can not be U-turned by another team after they have moved along.

I agree that the U-Turn should be after the first task is completed, but I disagree about taking the picture out of the box or even showing who did the U-Turn. It was more interesting when the team arriving at the U-Turn had to try to figure out who was even behind them, sometimes U-Turning someone who had already passed by.

Tinami Amori

I agree that the U-Turn should be after the first task is completed, but I disagree about taking the picture out of the box or even showing who did the U-Turn. It was more interesting when the team arriving at the U-Turn had to try to figure out who was even behind them, sometimes U-Turning someone who had already passed by.
I am against U-turns in general. If a lesser team is jealous of a better team and U-turns them, it is not a real competition, but rather "catering to one of the Deadly Sins"... :D
For the life of me i don't understand, why in America, a country which claims to have moral superiority to the rest of the world, it is permitted to structure game shows with monetary rewards, which allow as part of the rules the "Official Sins": envy, lying, cheating, stealing.

smurfy

I can't even with Brooke. She wins any whining tasks. Scott is way to patient.
I want her gone.
The premise this season is interesting - but they way they talked about Vanck and Ashton - seemed junior high - the cool kids clique which turned me off.
Team Fun and Tara & Joey are worth rooting for. The Boys - something about them bugs me. Initially it was the way they talked to Ashton after the U Turn - but now - I do not know what it is, they seem competent - but I can't root for them. I really don't know why.
Lake Como looks so beautiful.

merrywidow

I can't really get into this season. I'd like to see the UTurn eliminated completely. Go back to the early days when each team had 1 fast forward they could use in the game. That way the team needed a strategy as well as talent/skill to do detours. Or penalize teams for aiding &/or aligning with others. Do it on Your Own!

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
It was glaringly obvious halfway through the episode that Vanck & Ashton were going home, especially with how quick everybody was getting through the rock climbing. Even if they hadn't gotten lost getting to the U-turn board, they wouldn't have even had a shot to make things interesting.

What I found odd about that was that they all said that TAR is a social game and that the reason Vanck and Ashton had to go was that no one wanted to spend time with them. Um, since when is TAR a social game? It's not Survivor, where you have to win over the jury; it's a RACE. The only reason the U-Turn exists is to keep one team from dominating the entire race. It's not so a weaker team can be eliminated because no one wants to have dinner with them.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I think Brooke must be pretty personable when she's not performing tasks. I don't think I have ever seen so many people go out of their way to help another racer as helped her with the ladle task. And Scott hasn't strangled her yet, either.

Many of them are now expressing nothing but love for Ashton on her Facebook page and barely mentioning Vanck, so I'm guessing his social awkwardness was the main issue.

Chemistry66

Via Reddit and statements made there by London of Team LoLo, apparently on the flight to Italy, Ashton managed to get herself and Vanck upgraded to first class while the rest of the teams were still in Economy. This sort of isolated them from the rest of the teams. While it seems to us like a silly reason to be frustrated with V/A (because it's not like they broke any rules since free upgrades are allowed), I can understand how it may have annoyed everyone else during the actual race itself. It seems like most of the teams get along outside of the race now that it's over.

In a video recap London did with her sister (Reddit thread here for video + some comments), there's a picture of a bunch of racers at a viewing party, where you can see a smiling Vanck right in the middle of everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information