Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

mtnskater

Hey, I hope you all don't mind me crashing this thread party. I haven't really posted here before but have enjoyed all the recommendations.

I've been going to the same hairdresser for quite a few years now. Most of the time I am quite happy with what she does. But every so often I'm pissed as hell and hate what she does. This past week I asked for an overall color because I like to do that every so often to plump up and shine my hair. Most of my hair color visits are root color touch ups or foils to highlight or low light. I showed her a picture of a very pretty medium chocolate brown. She suggested we use Kevin Murphy color because she really likes their browns. She put the permanent color on and left it for about 30 minutes or so. I have alot of gray so I need permanent. When she washed it out it was close to black...just a very very dark brown. So harsh for a fifty-something and not what I wanted. My husband was not happy when I got home. I wore a hat to work the next day and washed the hell out of it over the weekend. I told her when we were done it was a lot darker than I wanted and she said she would rather have it too dark than too light because it will fade and wash out. I don't want to be unhappy and embarrassed how I look for several weeks though. Plus she charged $85 to turn my hair black. i don't think I will ever go back. When I used to do color myself, I would just put on the roots for the developing time and a much shorter time on the rest. Shouldn't she have known that?

I have washed my hair in clarifier several times over the past week and even added baking soda to one wash. My hair is only slightly lighter. I don't want to damage my hair trying to lighten it. I don't understand how it is so hard for a professional stylist/colorist to avoid doing this. Why can't I seem to be able to get a nice medium brown from a professional? They just want to slap the hair color on you and take care of another customer while you sit. She used to use Calura color that I really loved but told me she stopped using it because of the 45 min. processing time. She wants 30 mins. so she can get done quicker.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

mtnskater

^^^I have certainly thought of that, but I will have to find another hair dresser to do it. My hairdresser is completely booked most of the time and I have to book a month or more in advance. Plus I will have to shell out a bunch more money for the highlights. I have always thought one needs to wait a bit for putting in bleaching highlights to hair that was just colored overall. But I could be wrong. I would do it at home if I had a good suggestion as to what to do. (brand to use).

I feel like I have been "Ashley Wagnered" :angryfire

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@mtnskater Don't panic. I had an episode of "way too dark" last year. Part of it was the color, part was in my head. I know I had let too much time elapse between colorings, so had more gray than usual, especially in the front, so the act of coloring was a big difference. If you can't get an appointment with someone who specializes in color correction, there are a couple of things you can do to make it seem less harsh.

First, make sure you are using a brow color. Light/sparse brows accentuate the "too dark" effect. Try filling them in with a brown that's just a bit lighter than your hair.

The other thing is hair paint, hair mascara, or root touch up spray/powder. You could use a dark blonde, red, or a bright color. Apply it on some top sections, the part line, and near your temples. Since it washes right out, you can try a bunch of colors. For me, copper ended up being the best choice. I used it for a couple of weeks until my color faded a bit.

One last thing. If your colorist applied the same color all over, she did you a disservice. Next time, insist on 2-3 shades in the same family.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
@mtnskater i feel your pain. I hate the way she talked to you. Saying SHE prefered it too dark over too light. She was not doing her own hair or not charging you.
I am so pissed about this. I would have killed her.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
This is my favorite dress, although I deliberately chose a picture where you can't see the hem because sadly, it has fringe which is completely superfluous IMO.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
This is my favorite dress, although I deliberately chose a picture where you can't see the hem because sadly, it has fringe which is completely superfluous IMO.
Who is that?

And Z's dress is over the top, but I agree with Tom and Lorenzo that that's what you do for the Met gala.

IceAlisa

Who is that?

And Z's dress is over the top, but I agree with Tom and Lorenzo that that's what you do for the Met gala.
That's Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis' daughter, Lily Rose. She is the current face of Chanel. Rough life, eh? I guess I don't like wearing images of animals. Otherwise I'd like the look.

Oh what wouldn't I give to own this D&G creation OK, maybe not at the MSRP. That's an Israeli actress wearing it, Gal Gadot. They also have a gorgeous rose dress that just above $2k on sale. :rofl:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
That's Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis' daughter, Lily Rose. She is the current face of Chanel. Rough life, eh? I guess I don't like wearing images of animals. Otherwise I'd like the look.

Oh what wouldn't I give to own this D&G creation OK, maybe not at the MSRP. That's an Israeli actress wearing it, Gal Gadot. They also have a gorgeous rose dress that just above $2k on sale. :rofl:

You would look amazing in that dress. I on the other hand would look like the escaped prison inmate trying to disguise herself by going all girly. :rofl: I'd go for something like this, I don't know who it is or who designed it:http://www.vogue.com/slideshow/met-gala-2017-red-carpet-live-celebrity-fashion#52

IceAlisa

That's Naomi Campbell, looking badass as always. It's awesome but I am not sure who designed it. And thanks, and likewise.

Why do I know this stuff??!!!

Aceon6

Quick update on my mascara sampler. I'm on the Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir. Hate it. Well, hate it for me. It's got a dumbbell shaped wand that doesn't get to the base of the middle lashes and it's a bit clumpy. It does stay put, though. I still think the MUFE Excessive Lash is the best of the lot.

Reactions: fan

Aceon6

Quick update on my mascara sampler. I'm on the Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir. Hate it. Well, hate it for me. It's got a dumbbell shaped wand that doesn't get to the base of the middle lashes and it's a bit clumpy. It does stay put, though. I still think the MUFE Excessive Lash is the best of the lot.
I threw it away. It melted on a 70 degree day and left a large black smudge under my left eye that I didn't notice until I got home.

On a more positive note, I'm really happy with the St Tropez Self Tan Classic Bronzing Lotion. It's tinted, so you can see where you're applying it, absorbs easily, and has a barely perceptible self tanner smell. The only downside is that you really need a mitt or gloves as the tint is hard to wash off your palms. Instead of buying a mitt, I just used standard latex gloves with no problem. You get a bit of color from it right away and it develops in about 3-4 hours. It works well with my skin tone, light but not pale. For reference, I use Dior Star 22 on my face and the self tanner brought my legs up to about a 30.

skategal

Bunny mama
On a more positive note, I'm really happy with the St Tropez Self Tan Classic Bronzing Lotion.

I use the St. Tropez bronzing Mousse and mitt and love it.

I found a lower cost mitt at Sally's Beauty supply rather than buying the St. Tropez one.

vesperholly

St. Moriz is a great alternative for half the price. It's sold at Ulta for around $12, though years ago I used to see it at TJMaxx for $4-5.

oleada

So....maybe you guys can help with this. I'm getting married in two weeks. I have tan lines on my back - how do I get rid of them?! It looks so tacky. Someone told me I should spray tan but I don't do that regularly and it's not something I want to try 2 weeks from now.

skategal

Bunny mama
So....maybe you guys can help with this. I'm getting married in two weeks. I have tan lines on my back - how do I get rid of them?! It looks so tacky. Someone told me I should spray tan but I don't do that regularly and it's not something I want to try 2 weeks from now.

There is waterproof/sweatproof body makeup on the market.

Don't buy anything that's not 100% waterproof as you will most likely sweat on your wedding day.

If I couldn't get waterproof body makeup I would just sweep some powder bronzer over the tan lines. It's not a compete cure but does tone it down a lot so that they don't look like they are glowing.

I've done this to my tan lines on the shoulders and it was okay. Not a perfect fix but not bad considering it is a such a low cost, low time option.

I wouldn't try putting self tanner on by yourself. Or try putting it only on the tan lines. I've tried to do that on my tan lines and it was super hard to do and didn't look great.

I would have you try a spray tan today as a test if you were more than 3 weeks away from the wedding.

If you liked the results, then you could get another one a couple of days before the wedding.

But with only two weeks to go, it's pushing it to try one now because if the results didn't come out well, they would still be there two weeks from now.

I usually find my spray tan is pretty much completely gone by 3 weeks.

I guess another option would be to try and get a tan on your back next weekend. How's the weather forecast? Lol!

Or go to a tanning bed. I've never used a tanning bed, so no advice there.

Aceon6

Please don't use a tanning bed or booth. Even if yours is calibrated properly, they can do a lot of damage.

Try a very, very, very light coat of tanning moisturizer starting this week and see if you like the result. It'll be gone in 3 showers. The Jergens Daily Glow should do the trick. If you go the self tanner route, just be careful to paint within the lines!!! You don't want to make the tanned skin darker. As for the day, gently wash the area to make sure you don't have any buildup.

Are you having a professional do your makeup? If you are, I'd just make sure you don't add to the tan lines and let the professional deal with it. Too risky to end up with makeup on your dress, or a worse situation trying to correct it with something you've never used before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information