Your top three favorite things of this season

Foolhardy Ham Lint

1. Alexandrovskaya and Windsor's remarkable debut season, culminating in a win at the World Junior Championships
2. Brendan Kerry's fabulous short program in Helsinki, and backing that up with a solid free skate, too.
3. Kailani Craine registering a personal best and qualifying for the free skate in Helsinki

aftershocks

Banned Member
So many more than three memorable moments, but I will group some unforgettable ones together:

James/Cipres' performances at Euros and WTT & their kiss 'n cry reactions w/ coach John Z at Euros (speaking to Vanessa at Skate America); Savchenko/Massot fp at Euros, plus the groundbreaking choreo of their quick-step sp; the Shibutanis' performances at Skate America & prevailing under pressure at Worlds; Cain LeDuc winning bronze at Golden Spin of Zagreb & silver at U.S. Nat'ls with award-winning sp, & their determination at WTT; Hubbell/Donahue's performances at Skate America plus placing third in SD at Worlds & their kiss 'n cry reaction

Adam Rippon's and Jason Brown's performances at Skate America (and speaking to both Adam & Jason at Skate America), & Jason humorously refusing to leave the ice so he could sign as many autographs as he could for fans; plus Adam landing a quad at Trophee de France, and Jason prevailing through injury at U.S. Nationals and skating great at Worlds to help regain 3rd spot for U.S. men; Vincent Zhou winning Junior Worlds; Nathan Chen winning U.S. Nationals and 4CCs with a record 7 quads & practically clean performances; Karen Chen sp/fp at U.S. Nats and her Worlds comeback showing helping to retain 3 spots for U.S. ladies after her 4CCs letdown

Gabby Daleman's performances at Canadian Nationals & 4CCs & Worlds; Virtue/Moir SD; Papadakis/Cizeron FD at Euros and Worlds; Piper/Paul disco SD and Tango FD; Denney/Frazier at Skate America; Mariah Bell's success at Skate America; the Parsons' successful season & winning Junior Worlds; Stellato-Dudek/Bartholomay sp at U.S. Nat'ls; Weaver/Poje fighting back & giving their best performances of the season at WTT; Misha Ge at Worlds; Sui/Han comeback from injury; Stolbova/Klimov at Russian Nationals; Luba/Dylan winning bronze at 4CCs; Peng/Jin performances at 4CCs; Ruest/Wolfe sp at Canadian Nationals; depth & excellence of U.S. ice dance; Honda vs Zagitova at Junior Worlds

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Probably if a poll were taken, the top 3 overall might be:

James/Cipres at Euros & WTT (breakthrough season)
2 Canadian ladies on Worlds podium: Daleman & Osmond
Virtue/Moir comeback and their boffo SD

with Papadakis/Cizeron Euro & Worlds FD performances neck-and-neck for a place in top three, along with Sui/Han comeback & Nathan Chen 7-quad breakthrough

Last edited:

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
-The 24hrs when I seriously believed H/D could medal at worlds :drama:
-The whole Pairs field: great comebacks (S/H), new teams (Cain/LeDuc, the leftovers), new breakthroughs (J/C), excellent programs, high standard of competitions. The pairs SP at worlds is the perfect example of all these combined :kickass:
-Having the chance to watch so much live skating, enjoying skaters and programs evolving throughout the season, from the 'program testing' first senior Bs to the adrenaline at Worlds:cheer2:

Bonus: Bavarian Open with @Jeschke for the good times:40beers::dog::drama:

danibellerika

1) Yuzuru's unreal comeback to win worlds. I've been to three worlds and that is probably the best moment I've ever experienced. The energy from the crowd, the elation at him getting his scores, the celebration with fellow fans afterward:cheer2:. I don't think I've ever screamed like that while not being on a roller coaster. He took me to figure skating heaven:swoon:. It was completely unforgettable and I think it'll bring a smile to my face whenever I think about it for the rest of my life. I still get emotional about witnessing Shen and Zhao's win in 2003. I actually met Shen in Helsinki and told her as much. And she smiled so I'm sure she'll remember that one too.

2) Shoma making the world podium :respec:. It was so fulfilling to see him turn that frown upside down compared to last year. And only he could make me love Loco Loco Loco.

3) Meeting so many skaters and coaches in Helsinki. Almost everyone was so kind and appreciative and it was surreal to be around them and watch skating with them. It's so much more fun to watch with people that know the sport.

Honorable mentions: Sui/Han winning worlds; Nate shaking up the field; Satoko's free program. And seeing a clean SpiderJin (that program is a guilty pleasure).

tamms

1. Shoma being on the Worlds podium this year. The 7th place finish last year definitely motivated him to do better.

2. Sui/Han’s programs. Love the SP!

3. WTT. Signs for Mao, team spirit, Shoma wearing a flower crown and cracking a smile in his exhibition, more of Yuzu and Shoma.

Roux

Darn, I thought I had three, then I kept reading...

1) Exciting Men's event at Worlds (I couldn't stop talking at people who knew nothing about it) -- & Shoma's silver
2) Patrick's SP (whichever performance I can find with the music!) -- & Adam's LP (maybe I could defer that one to next season's top 3, since he's keeping it?)
3) Jason Brown.

For an extra bonus:
Josh Farris announcing comeback
-- & yes, stealing this too ^^

Honorable mentions to... all the other disciplines :p

Ka3sha

-The 24hrs when I seriously believed H/D could medal at worlds :drama:
Good to know that someone also actually believed in that :40beers:

My top 3:
- Amazing pairs short at Worlds :kickass:
- Carolina and Tessa&Scott's comebacks :swoon:
- the whole men's field: a lot of different quads, interesting programs (Chan's and Hanyu's SPs, Uno's and Adam's FPs) and amazing performances this year (GPF, 4C, Worlds)

Last edited:

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Good to know that someone also actually believed in that :40beers:

I started a bit skeptical that H/D could keep the bronze, but they looked so good in the FD morning practice, and then @Jeschke kept sending me messages during the FD when others were screwing up like 'they are skating last, the emotions, the drama, believe, believe, '... and then nightmare!

#Istillbelieve #HDfor2018Worldsmedal #ReadytocryonTV

clairecloutier

I started a bit skeptical that H/D could keep the bronze, but they looked so good in the FD morning practice, and then @Jeschke kept sending me messages during the FD when others were screwing up like 'they are skating last, the emotions, the drama, believe, believe, '... and then nightmare!

#Istillbelieve #HDfor2018Worldsmedal #ReadytocryonTV

I believe! ;) I totally think H/D had the bronze. I really believe it would've been theirs ... if it weren't for that fall. :wall:

It took me several days to get over that moment.

J

Jeschke

Ooooopsie :saint:
But in my defense, your mental state was close to that, and I wanted to avoid you getting a heart attack before they even set a foot on the ice.

Pattina

1 - Shoma's outstanding season, culminating in silver medal at World: his beaming and proud smile after tears of 2016
2 - Carolina's comeback - her 10th medal at Euros, of course, but more than this, the regained confidence in herself after all her personal issues and the look of pure joy and love for FS in her eyes;
3 - 2016 Lombardia Trophy again as B competition, so I had the chance to watch live high level skaters (shouting out loud for Shoma and Jason)

Bonuses:

1 - Jason grabbing my mobile with a giant smile "let's do a selfie together!!!" and later hugging me. He is really a wonderful person;

2 - Daisuke working as tv commentator for 4CC and Worlds. Many people shared on social media pics and clips of him in the arena. He is still so loved by FS audience and this is a great joy for me and for all people who miss him on the ice.

giselle23

Nathan Chen's Free Skate at US Nationals
Mirai's Bronze Medal-winning free skate at Four Continents
Sui and Han's Free Skate at 4CC and Worlds

Honorable mentions:
Mao's Bach exhibition at Skate America-really should be in top 3
Mao's short and long programs-I wish she could have skated them clean
Karen Chen's short and long programs at US Nationals and her 4th place finish at Worlds
Rafael Arutunian's reaction to Nathan Chen's skating (shaking the water bottle--can't remember which competition this was)
Mirai's short program
Mirai's triple axel
Boyang Jin's Spider Man
John Coughlin's commentary on Sui/Han's free skate at 4CC (she is like Michelle Kwan reincarnated as a pairs skater)

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
*whispers* What medals has Australia won? (apart from juniors)

JGP Tallin: GOLD (Katia and Harley)
Warsaw Cup: Silver (Kailani)
Volvo Cup: Bronze (Kailani), Silver (Paris and Matthew), Silver (Holly)
Reykjavik Games: Silver (Brooklee)
Triglav Trophy: GOLD (Brooklee)
Junior World Championships: GOLD (Katia and Harley)

Brendan collected a lot of 4ths and 5ths this season. But the good kind. :)

tas

1. Sui/Han's amazing comeback. It's crazy to think that about a year ago, Wenjing could barely walk. Kudos to them!
2. The sheer unpredictability and hilarity of the men's event. The GPF was wild.
3. Anastasiia Gubanova and Marin Honda. Lovely skaters that have revived my passion in watching the ladies discipline.

nguyhm

Seeing Mao (and her glorious programs) live for one more (and last) time (for me) at SA
Mirai's SP at Nationals - only to be heartbroken a day later
Tie between Patrick Chan's Quad Sal, V/M's SP and Nathan Chen's SP and Exhibition at US Nationals

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information