Ru Paul's Drag Race - Spring 2017

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
That's what lead me to think that Charlie was courted/encouraged/invited on the show. The producers have no problem throwing an auditioner who fails into the shade bucket. The edit seemed to go overboard in trying to minimize how badly she did.

Sparks

I can't remember where I read it, but Charlie allegedly cracked a rib during the cheerleader challenge and was on pain-killers, which (if true) could account for her being so flat in the episode and barely moving during the lip-sync.
I know someone who knows one of the queens. Apparently, this is true.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Well that was interesting. Don't know what to think. However I didn't mind the outcome.

berthesghost

It's hard to recreate that "Wilam moment" lol

But... I never know how to take reality tv. Ot1h it seems way too odd a coincidence that the doctors call came right during elimination. Otoh, if it was timed on purpose for drama, it seems mean to make the 2 go thru the trama of lsfyl if you know they're staying.

Aceon6

The Ru exit seemed staged, but the timing seems right if they were doing an episode a day. Charlie would have been feeling about as bad as you can feel at 48 hours, and Eureka may have had an MRI the same day.

antmanb

That Charlie Hides Lip synch was just awful. He really didn't do a great deal on the show and even in the untucked episodes he didn't really have a lot to say, and just seemed to keep going on about his age all the time. Even with a cracked rib he could have walked around the stage even if he didn't dance.

@allezfred has Charlie Hides moved back to the US? I thought he'd lived in London for 20+ years. I've seen his show twice in Manchester and I think he's still on the roster of drag queens that come up here from London every few months. I have to say that his show was very slick and he sang well, but I would definitely agree with Michelle Visage's comment that he's a control freak and clearly is happy when he's rehearsed something so much it's second nature.

The last episode was really bizarre and since the poor editing for drama is one of my biggest pet peeves about the show, I don't believe for a minute that it was all a huge coincidence when the news came in just after the lip synch. Also if Eureka was hurt so badly, why didn't even a hint of it make it into the previous episode, and then all of a sudden that's all they're talking about in the last episode, it seems weird because I didn't even notice her limping or anything in the previous episode and then she's barely able to walk using crutches?

I guess they have a big personality that will stir things up for next season though :lol:

I'm also a little surprised that the panel hasn't called Nina Bonina out for constantly wearing the same enormous breast plate...it was kind of comedy at first, but I think that coupled with the cartoony/almost comedy bum padding makes her shape look ridiculous.

Aceon6

I didn't even notice her limping or anything in the previous episode and then she's barely able to walk using crutches?
From personal experience, you can function with a busted knee for 24-48 hours, then the swelling takes over and you can barely put weight on it. My thinking goes like this...
  1. Cheerleading episode. Both Charlie and Eureka get injured. Neither thinks anything's seriously wrong.
  2. Cheer+1 day (fairytale princesses). The mostly sewing episode allows both queens to minimize movement. Both are noticing problems, but they don't interfere with the challenge, so they push on.
  3. Cheer+2 days (talk show). Charlie hasn't slept since the cheer episode and is in serious pain. The swelling in Eureka's knee keeps her from bending it. Both are sent for x-rays/MRI. Eureka is given crutches, but she decides to try to get through the challenge without them. Charlie packs it in. Eureka's test results come in at some point during the day.
  4. Cheer+3 days (Kardashian). Eureka can no longer bear weight on the injured knee. Production is told that she needs at least two weeks of non weight bearing so Ru "consults with the doctors" and Eureka is sent home.
So that's my guess as to how it played out. We'll know more after the reunion show.

antmanb

I have no idea. I'm probably a bit confused as to where she is from. :shuffle:

Ah ok - I'm fairly sure that she's lived in London for ages, which is probably why she does such a good Madonna impression :lol:

ETA: re the attempts to recreate the "willam" moment. What was the reason she was given the boot? I read that it was because she had contact with her boyfriend or something like that, and yet Chad Michaels got to call his boyfriend on their anniversary in that season I thought?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Ah ok - I'm fairly sure that she's lived in London for ages, which is probably why she does such a good Madonna impression :lol:

ETA: re the attempts to recreate the "willam" moment. What was the reason she was given the boot? I read that it was because she had contact with her boyfriend or something like that, and yet Chad Michaels got to call his boyfriend on their anniversary in that season I thought?

Willam had a :sekret: visit from his boyfriend which was against the rules. The Chad Michaels call was a reward for a challenge.

Aussie Willy

Yes it would have been good to have something more saucy.

The best bit about Willam being kicked off the show was his response to it.

Jayar

I did an Atlantis vacation last year, and Charlie Hides was one of the entertainers. He mentioned that he lives in Boston.

Aceon6

Worst.... snatch.... game.... since season 3. Even the good ones weren't as good as some of the middle of the pack ones from seasons 4-8. At least the right queen was saved in the LFYL.

Aussie Willy

Yes it was a bit of a let down. At least there were no kimonos.

Valentina for me is becoming a front runner. Just gorgeous, very funny in Snatch Game and her Madonna, while minimal, was probably the most interesting out of the bunch.

Last edited:

berthesghost

Not only was I getting all "Sasha wuz robbed" but I thought for sure that they would put Alexis second if only to prompt a ratings friendly 'always a bridesmaid never a bride' meltdown.

Peppermint's lip sync was one for the ages!

Willin

This is the first season in years where I haven't had a clear favorite.
I really like Shea Coulee, Valentina, and Sasha Velour, but I don't think there's anyone that I'm rooting for at this point.

I really want to like Nina because of her interesting aesthetic, but I can't get over her attitude. I understand having anxiety and having the worst brought out of you in a reality competition show (particularly with the underhanded/strange tactics producers use). BUT, if you don't get the role you want, which chances are you won't most of the time, don't mope and blame people - run away with what you've been given. I hope she can do that in the competition. Based on the last episode and the advice they've been showing RuPaul giving her, I think she's either getting the redemption arc this season or leaving shortly.

Aceon6

Last night's 90210 episode was quite good. A big rebound from Snatch Game. I'll stay vague for those who haven't seen it yet, but the queen who sashayed away deserved it just for being scared of the main challenge. It didn't help that her lip sync was a bit basic. I was a bit surprised by the winner as I expected it to go to the one who switched roles with Ms. Sashay. As usual, Valentina turned it out on the runway.

all_empty

Unrelated, but I was just at DragCon and was blown away how articulate Eureka was in person. She did a panel with Bob the Drag Queen (who is also well-spoken) and Alaska (who is just herself at these things). I hope the YouTube of it goes up. It was a really great conversation.

Aussie Willy

Unrelated, but I was just at DragCon and was blown away how articulate Eureka was in person. She did a panel with Bob the Drag Queen (who is also well-spoken) and Alaska (who is just herself at these things). I hope the YouTube of it goes up. It was a really great conversation.
Was there anything else at DragCon worth reporting? Any of the queens really stood out (apart from Eureka)?

I already said that I though Valentina was a favourite, but I am really liking her more and more. She has the same beauty as Violet Chachki but also seems to be a nice person.

berthesghost

I was a bit surprised by the winner as I expected it to go to the one who switched roles with Ms. Sashay.
me 2! But in the untucked lounge they were all so sure the winner would be the winner, so maybe it was edited to seem a lot closer than it was. Shrug.

After Peppermint last week I thought both lip syncs were so basic bitch they should have been wearing uggs and sipping pumpkin spice lattes.

berthesghost

No idea why the brought back that challenge, especially with no known insult comic like Bianca, but it was just painful to watch.

Aceon6

No idea why the brought back that challenge, especially with no known insult comic like Bianca, but it was just painful to watch.
I think Ru and production might have been surprised at how dull this group turned to be. Bringing back the roast gave them a chance to see if anyone learned anything from snatch game. While I expected Farrah to struggle, I was shocked at Alexis' big miss. She didn't get ANYTHING right other than winning the lip synch.

berthesghost

Well, that was shocking! And yet, completely makes sense.

We knew from the get go that she was a baby with little to no experience, but week after week she impressed us with not only how polished her looks were but how mature she seemed. Then the veil dropped... Literally.. And there she was, a rookie going head to head against a veteran. I feel sad. But she's got star quality and that you can't learn. She's a prime candidate for one of those queens Ru brings back as a surprise twist.

Aceon6

I see Ru stocking up on young queens she could bring back for a special version of All Stars. I was really surprised that she couldn't handle Greedy as it's a soft lob to her demographic. Say what you will about the winner, but she nailed every word.

Down to 6. What's everyone thinking? I don't see Nina or Alexis making the final 3, but I'm having a hard time spotting this year's winner. Ru & Co typically telegraph it by now.

berthesghost

Well, i thought for sure she was telegraphing Tina for the win, right up to and including her parting comment "we thought you had what it takes to make it all the way, now sashay away", so what do I know.

I agree that they're keeping her on speed dial for the next gig, but I'd have to say the other queens weren't too nice to her. After a few early digs, most seemed to just ignore her existence.

I also thought peppermint would be gone by now, but she really seems to have rallied for a late surge after a rather lackluster first half.

Alexis... whatever she's selling I'm not buying, so I'm always shocked when the other queens gush all over how great she is. Her runways looks all seem so basic and lazy to me and someone needs to explain to her that a passive aggressive villain is still the season villain. To me, she just comes off as a bitch pretending to be nice. She always argues back to the judges and the whole "not trying to throw my sisters who I love under the bus, but I did all the work" is a perfect example. Ugh.

In addition to being a ticking time bomb of self-sabotage headcaseness, Nina also seems to be too set in her ways to change. She's got a distinctive look which is great but doesn't scream variety, which is what the show asks, right or wrong. And she seems to have gotten thus far with a wing-it strategy to certain things beyond her look, which I think is gonna run her afoul soon, this past challenge being the perfect example.

I'd previously pegged trinity for 4th, so I guess she'll probably join Sasha and Shea in the top 3, although I've been wrong before so why break my perfect record. Lol

Last edited:

berthesghost

for a pageant queen who felt uncomfortable doing club kid, she turned it out, especially compared to alexis' lazy lace onesie throw-on-and-go. Did she even have to steam press that thing?

susan6

I see Ru stocking up on young queens she could bring back for a special version of All Stars. I was really surprised that she couldn't handle Greedy as it's a soft lob to her demographic. Say what you will about the winner, but she nailed every word.

Sad to see her go, but, yeah, it was fairly obvious who won that lip sync. A question--do the queens have some idea of what songs they should "know", or are they just expected to have familiarity with a LOT of songs by famous female singers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information