U.S. Ladies [#17]: Heading to Helsinki in a Handbasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwanatic

All this :drama: over 3 spots at the Olympics is meh. The past few seasons we have had 3 spots for Worlds and we still have the same inconsistent skaters yo yo'ing with their results on the world stage. Maybe with 2 spots, we will finally see skaters raise the bar and take American skating up another notch. JMO

This is the "glass half full" approach I'll take if we drop down to 2 spots. That 3rd spot is a cushion in some ways. Taking it away may inspire a bit more competition across the board. So if by the end of next month we know there are only 2 spots for Pyeongchang, I would hope that would light a major fire under everyone's butt next year...plus, can you imagine how intense nationals would be? :watch: Triumph for the top two, heartbreak for whoever is 3rd. That makes for great drama which is what this sport is all about anyway :lol:

petro

This is the "glass half full" approach I'll take if we drop down to 2 spots. That 3rd spot is a cushion in some ways. Taking it away may inspire a bit more competition across the board. So if by the end of next month we know there are only 2 spots for Pyeongchang, I would hope that would light a major fire under everyone's butt next year...plus, can you imagine how intense nationals would be? :watch: Triumph for the top two, heartbreak for whoever is 3rd. That makes for great drama which is what this sport is all about anyway :lol:

Oh my gosh blood bath next year! Especially if Gracie is back to her old self and Polina manages to return from her injury finally. But I don't even want to THINK about the potential outrage if Ashley finishes third at nationals and still gets sent... Which is entirely possible! :scream:

mrinalini

Yay, Caroline! She seems to be getting that FS consistency of hers back which was one of the hallmarks of her higher-flying days. The jumps look higher and overall she seems much faster too except for that footwork sequence which is so pathetically slow that even I could probably have done it. I don't know why anyone would've choreographed it that way; it's painful to watch in every iteration of this FS that I've seen.

Dobre

Kaitlin, Caitlin, Kaitlyn, kaetlyn, katelynn, Caitlyn, are some of the variations I've seen, even if you spell someone's name "correctly" half the time it's still wrong :shuffle:

Caetlyn. (Just met someone with this rendition this past week).

I get all the "k" names mixed up. Kaitlin, Kayleigh, Kayla, Kylie--they are all unfortunately stored in the same section of my brain.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Caetlyn. (Just met someone with this rendition this past week).

I get all the "k" names mixed up. Kaitlin, Kayleigh, Kayla, Kylie--they are all unfortunately stored in the same section of my brain.

At one point in my life, I had a Kaleigh, a Keeley, a Kayla, and a Kylie with whom I came into frequent contact. Needless to say, every so often, one of them was called by someone else's name, lol.

berthesghost

I'm currently struggling with a Kirsten and a Kristen that I sometime flip-flop.

In the past, J guys were my kryptonite: Justin, Jason, Jordan...

Vagabond

Things would be so much simpler if their parents had given them a common, traditional name like Katharine. ;)

bardtoob

Or, even better, ONE spot. That would light a fire! Red meat, people, red meat... Guarantee! :inavoid:

The first thing I though in this scenario is that Wagner would be going.

Yeah but if they skate badly, even with 2 spots, Mirai's stock rises significantly. She still has to deliver all of next season and at Nationals no matter what though.

You also can't count out the return of Gracie.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
My mom used to go: Debby, Bobby, Susan, Mary.....right down the line until she got to the one she wanted. I, of course swore I would never be that stupid! Who doesn't know their on child's name................oh I am so humbled!

Joubabe

Don't you remember 2014 Nationals? Agnes Zawadski, Ashley Cain, Christina Goa, among others were absolutely crushed at not making the Olympic team? I was there and that was more than enough drama for me. Three spots for 2018, please.

clairecloutier

Don't you remember 2014 Nationals? Agnes Zawadski, Ashley Cain, Christina Goa, among others were absolutely crushed at not making the Olympic team? I was there and that was more than enough drama for me. Three spots for 2018, please.

This. There's enough heartbreak even when there's 3 spots, let alone just 2.

Sylvia

TBD

leigh466

Caroline's is especially beautiful (to Dante's Prayer by Loreena McKennitt): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_V1l59MqM0

Stunning. It is a testament to Caroline's strength of character and unbelievable resilience that she has been able to come back at this level after hip surgery. First, I hope somehow the US has 3 spots to the Os. Then, I might have to really root for this young woman to get one of those spots. I bow to her determination and hard work.

PDilemma

Kaitlin, Caitlin, Kaitlyn, kaetlyn, katelynn, Caitlyn, are some of the variations I've seen, even if you spell someone's name "correctly" half the time it's still wrong :shuffle:

You forgot Catelyn, and last week, I had a Kaytlyn.

And don't get me started on Michaela. And McKayla, Mikayla, Mickayla, Mickaela, Mikaela, McKaela, Makayla, and I could keep listing spellings...

I had three in one section of a speech class once. All spelled differently. I would have kids draw for speech times/days then post the list on the bulletin board. Half the time, I would inadvertently mix up the spellings and they would freak out.

Creative name spelling is the bane of teachers' existences.

Iluvid

aftershocks

Banned Member
I was listening to Scott Hamilton's Episode 11 on IN: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v1225269283
After the fun interview with Tanith & Charlie, Scott answers viewer questions, and then he offers his 'Final Spin.' Scroll to 21:32 for Scott's comments. What do others think Scott was saying exactly in discussing 'the journey'? My take is that in regard to Nathan, Scott is observing that the sky is the limit, and that Nathan is a fierce competitor who never lets up when he achieves success. It's always pedal to the medal for Nathan. IOW, Nathan's journey is not about stopping at random destinations, or doubting his GPS and his mapped-out plans. Per Scott: "It's how you plan your days and how you arrive at the promised land... Nathan has won at every level, and he's done so because every level was not a destination..."

In referencing Mirai Nagasu, in this context, Scott apparently is saying that her success has been up and down, but that her talent should be nurtured "and not just fall in love with the next big, beautiful thing." I think these are worthwhile points Scott is making. Although, I think there are too many factors involved to definitively characterize individual skaters' trajectories. Perhaps if Mirai had been with coaches who understood her personality earlier on, and could have provided the nurturing she needed, maybe her trajectory and overall journey would have been different. OTOH, it's not even certain that had Mirai moved to Tom Z immediately after 2010 Olympics that she would not have had her ups and downs. But it's possible he could have guided her at that point to greater success. However, Tom did still have Rachael Flatt at the time, so taking on Mirai at that point was not something anyone would have likely considered. Perhaps the timing worked out the way it did for a reason.

A lot of getting over hurdles for most skaters is about self-belief, gaining and learning from competitive experiences, and developing self confidence. I'm not certain who Scott was referencing re skaters 'extending their journey past where they can really be competitive.' Hmmm. :COP: Oh well, in any case, Scott is always positive, and he ended on the note that he cheers for these skaters too. :)

Last edited:

berthesghost

Oh the 20s. I think most if not all of us had big ups and downs in our 20s. One minute we're all youthful ambition and soaring talent, the next we're just not getting the job done. In the low moments we can tend to get self indulgent... Maybe if I went to the other schools, things would be better. Maybe if I took that other job, maybe if ___________ ....

Mirai has had like 4 different coaches and has had ups and downs with all of them. What's the common denominator here? Her best results were with Frank, but those were also her prime years, so who's to know....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information