The development of skating in Southeast Asia & OAS skater updates

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
From what I understand, there needs to be a minimum of 8 competitors to have the points qualify towards jr worlds.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
The rule for senior WS points is eight skaters in singles from five members.

To get the TES minimums, it has to be from a recognized international with a minimum of two skaters from at least two members. Plus the right number and distribution of judges and tech panel.

Sylvia

TBD
I wonder what could be the reasons for a full on disqualification, at Junior level no less.
@Tony Wheeler brought up in the RIG competition thread that Rowe had competed for USA in the Junior Men's event at the Philadelphia Summer International in July 2015 (even though USFS didn't assign any senior/junior skaters to that international; skaters could pay the entry fee like it was a regular club competition).

Many skaters don't realize that any federation they switch to needs to ask the original federation for an official release before they can be cleared to compete for the new fed. (even if they have never competed internationally before, I believe) - this is likely what led to Rowe's DSQ in Reykjavik when it was discovered, after the fact.

Vagabond

I wonder what could be the reasons for a full on disqualification, at Junior level no less.

I see the venerable Sylvia has answered this, but I'll add something here.

He has competed internationally for the U.S. (Philadelphia Summer Internationa,l 2015). Perhaps he didn't satisfy all the ISU requirements to represent the Philippines. Citizenship or residency for at least one year? Permit from the USFSA? Clearance certificate from the ISU Secretariat?

That last bit (the clearance certificate) is a new requirement pertaining to skaters who either (1) wish to skate for a country of which they are not a citizen or (2) have previously skated in international competitions, and he may not have realized that it would apply to him.

:oops:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
According to the RIG event announcement (like most, if not all, other internationals), it was up to him to present a clearance certificate upon registration,

"In accordance with Rule 109 of the ISU General Regulations and ISU Communication 2030 all Skaters who do not have the nationality of the Member by which they have been entered or who, although having such nationality, have in the past represented another Member, must produce an ISU Clearance Certificate. Passports of all Skaters, as well as the ISU Clearance Certificate, if applicable, must to be presented at the accreditation of the event for verification."

I don't think the ISU will sanction the Icelandic Federation, but according to Communication 2030,
ISU Members as well as Skaters are responsible to give full, correct and true information on all facts and circumstances relating to a Skater's citizenship, residence, past activities etc. and to produce the required documents. If an ISU Member enters a Skater as defined in Section A. a) i) or ii) above who is not in the possession of a valid Clearance Certificate in ISU Championships, in another ISU Event or an International Competition or if a Skater and/or ISU Member has given incomplete and/or false information and/or has produced an improper document supporting such information in the application for a Clearance Certificate, penalties may be imposed by the Council upon the ISU Member and/or disciplinary sanctions by the ISU Disciplinary Commission upon the Skater in accordance with Articles 17 paragraph 1. t) and 25, paragraph 9 of the Constitution.

ETA:
That last bit (the clearance certificate) is a new requirement pertaining to skaters who either (1) wish to skate for a country of which they are not a citizen or (2) have previously skated in international competitions, and he may not have realized that it would apply to him.
The clearance certificate has been part of the ISU Constitution/General Regs Rule 109, according to Communication 1420 (2006), which 2030 replaced:
http://static.isu.org/media/106661/isu-communication-1420.pdf

1420 replaced Communication 1117 (2001), which references Clearance Certificates:
http://static.isu.org/media/107704/1117.pdf

1117 replaced Communication 953, which I'm not finding.

Who needed one has changed over the years, but it's been a "thing" at least since 2001. Don't know when Rowe was born, but if he's a junior now, he would have been at most a toddler when the rule was in place.

Last edited:

Josh78

Who needed one has changed over the years, but it's been a "thing" at least since 2001. Don't know when Rowe was born, but if he's a junior now, he would have been at most a toddler when the rule was in place

Yamato competed at the 2016 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in the Junior Men's event and finished 12th: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U.S._Figure_Skating_Championships

According to his Facebook page, his birthday is February 5th, but unfortunately his ISU profile doesn't list it fully

Sylvia

TBD
According to his Facebook page, his birthday is February 5th, but unfortunately his ISU profile doesn't list it fully
Rowe's DOB is in my blog (2016 U.S. Nationals Junior Men) as Feb. 5, 1999.

... Jules Alpe is competing in Sofia this weekend.
Jules Vince Alpe (PHI) still needs to get the FS minimum of 42 tomorrow at Sofia Trophy to be eligible to make his debut at Junior Worlds (he got 39.25 at Jegvirag Cup).

ETA on 2/12: Alpe fell 10 points short of the TES he needed in his Junior FS on Sunday.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Julien isn't that far off. He was 18th in the free last year without a "top skater" PCS boost. If he can clean up the jumps in the 2nd halves of his programs, he could get to the 240s.

Seerek

I discovered Julian Yee at this past 4CC and he was the most underscored skater in PCS. For my money he deserved top scores for INT and high scores for P/E. His exhibition is one of my favorites from the gala and I think worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbsK_OW_dUI

Is he still fundraising? I'd like to see him make it to the top 10 one day at Worlds.

There is certainly an argument to boost his component scores around the range of Brendan Kerry and Michael C. Martinez, but the key area in Julian's progress moving forward will need to be transitions and overall Grade of Execution.

Auto qualifying for Pyeongchang Olympics at Worlds will be a huge accomplishment (but first things first, you have to make the free skate cut in what looks like to be ~36 men this year);

Qualifying via Nebelhorn in the fall is a more likely scenario.

kalamalka

I saw Julian Yee on video for the first time last season at a JGP, and it was enough to make me look him up and follow his progress. I've now seen him live this season at Nebelhorn and 4CC - and he was in the gala at both. He's a very entertaining skater, with a lot of development potential.

Sylvia

TBD
Congrats to Shuran Yu on becoming Singapore's first entrant at a Senior World Championship after her Asian Winter Games results.

http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/s...ing-at-world-championships-for-the-first-time
:cheer:

OAS Ladies results at Asian Winter Games (scores don't count as ISU SB or PB and no minimum TES were required to compete here):

6 YU Shuran SGP 50.99(7) 95.71(6) 146.70
8 MAMBEKOVA Aiza KAZ 49.99(8) 82.65(9) 132.64
9 LIN Amy TPE 47.15(10) 83.88(7) 131.03
10 MA Maisy Hiu Ching HKG 47.81(9) 79.58(11) 127.39
11 ING Chloe SGP 44.64(11) 82.71(8) 127.35
12 SO Joanna HKG 41.65(12) 68.72(12) 110.37
14 RATTANADILOK NA PHUKET Promsan THA 25.71(16) 62.84(14) 88.55
15 CABILES Samantha PHI 28.54(14) 55.11(16) 83.65
16 MOHD AMINUDIN Aina Sorfina MAS 25.16(17) 57.19(15) 82.35
17 LAMSAM Thita THA 26.89(15) 53.12(18) 80.01
18 LARI Zahra UAE 23.31(19) 53.37(17) 76.68
19 CASAPAO Shayanne PHI 24.33(18) 46.66(21) 70.99
20 PUTRI Tasya INA 22.21(20) 48.01(20) 70.22
21 NESTEROVA Aleksandra KGZ 21.69(21) 48.46(19) 70.15
22 LINGAM Aneeta MAS 18.67(22) 44.15(22) 62.82
23 ISMAGULOVA Laura KGZ 18.53(23) 42.44(23) 60.97
24 AYINIE SULAEMAN Nurul INA 16.81(24) 30.88(24) 47.69

(Men finish at AWG tomorrow - will post OAS final results here afterwards.)

OAS entered in Junior Worlds in Taipei:

Ladies:
Amy LIN TPE (2nd trip) - 17th at 4CC & 9th at Asian Winter Games
Yi Christy LEUNG HKG (debut)
( Maisy Hiu Ching MA HKG S - 18th at 4CC & 10th at AWG)
Aiza MAMBEKOVA KAZ (debut) - 8th at AWG
Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA KAZ (not obscure, obviously)
( Alana TOKTAROVA KAZ S )
Chloe ING SGP (debut) - 20th at 4CC & 11th at AWG
( Shuran YU SGP S - 21st at 4CC & 6th at AWG )

Men:
Chih-I TSAO TPE (his 6th & final trip) - 19th at 4CC
Harrison Jon-Yen WONG HKG (debut) - 26th in SP at 4CC
Artur PANIKHIN KAZ (debut)
( Daniyar ADYLOV KAZ S )
Kai Xiang CHEW MAS (2nd trip) - 23rd at 4CC

Dance:
Wing Yi Valerie SO / Marcus YAU HKG (debut)
Hannah Grace COOK / Temirlan YERZHANOV KAZ (2nd trip)

Last edited:

Skateparent

@Tony Wheeler brought up in the RIG competition thread that Rowe had competed for USA in the Junior Men's event at the Philadelphia Summer International in July 2015 (even though USFS didn't assign any senior/junior skaters to that international; skaters could pay the entry fee like it was a regular club competition).

Many skaters don't realize that any federation they switch to needs to ask the original federation for an official release before they can be cleared to compete for the new fed. (even if they have never competed internationally before, I believe) - this is likely what led to Rowe's DSQ in Reykjavik when it was discovered, after the fact.
Hadn't realized Philadelphia Summer Championships would be deemed an international event. As you mentioned the entry is open to any one with an active club membership just like any other club competitions. Interesting to know

Sylvia

TBD
Hadn't realized Philadelphia Summer Championships would be deemed an international event. As you mentioned the entry is open to any one with an active club membership just like any other club competitions. Interesting to know
It has only happened once (July 2015) to date.

Hong Kong's entire team are JW first timers!!!!
I'm happy Harrison Wong is getting this opportunity - I thought he was very talented the few times I watched him compete at U.S. Nationals (Novice/Intermediate levels).

Jun Y

Another fan of Julian Yee here. At the Boston Worlds last year, I and people sitting around me all felt he was underscored. During the short program, I was anxiously counting the ranking until he made the cut for the free skate. He's a bit rough around the edges, but his triple Axel is pretty good and he's an energetic, charming performer.

Sylvia

TBD
OAS Men's results at Asian Winter Games (scores don't count as ISU SB or PB and no minimum TES were required to compete here):

8 YEE Julian Zhi Jie MAS 72.75(10) 149.94(8) 222.69
9 MARTINEZ Michael Christian PHI 76.53(7) 135.43(9) 211.96
11 TSAO Chih-I TPE *63.68(11) 126.51(12) 190.19
12 RAKIMGALIEV Abzal KAZ 54.80(14) 134.79(10) 189.59
14 CHEW Kai Xiang MAS 58.86(12) 109.56(14) 168.42
15 LEE Harry Hau Yin HKG 48.65(15) 101.08(15) 149.73
16 LEE Meng Ju TPE 44.49(16) 93.92(16) 138.41
17 ALPE Jules Vince PHI 42.38(17) 86.03(17) 128.41
18 LEUNG Kwun Hung HKG 37.16(18) 82.61(18) 119.77
19 SUTRISNA William INA 34.85(19) 60.80(20) 95.65
20 RAMADHAN Dwiki Eka INA 24.07(20) 64.65(19) 88.72
21 PINGLE Nikhil IND 17.30(21) 41.74(21) 59.04

*Chih-I TSAO TPE Golden Bear 2016 27.10.2016 31.41 S
ISU Four Continents Championships 2017 19.02.2017 64.25 S
Thanks to @Dobre for pointing out that Tsao got the Worlds minimum score (34.73 TES) in the SP!
ETA link to Tsao's AWG FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCOEKj0mdg

Julian Yee's FS at AWG:
Yee (MAS): 3A+2T, 3F+3T, 3S, walley to 3A, 3Lz landed on low knee, 3F / 3Lo light hand down?, 2A to 2A.
Audience erupts in cheers for a highly entertaining performance!
149.94 in FS, 222.69 1st.
I thought I saw Yee land a 4S in the 6-minute warmup but he went for the triple in his FS - ETA link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nER_d-O2zB4

Michael Christian Martinez started his FS strongly, landing 3Lo, 3T, 3A+2T and an impressive cantilever to spread eagle to 3A (received 1 +3 & +2 from rest of judges) in the first half of his FS - ETA link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao0FeLVfZPs

Kai Xiang CHEW (MAS #2) had a good attempt at 3Lz+3Lo< and he is still just 17 - will turn 18 in July.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Article about Anup Kumar and Aldrin Elizabeth from Hyderabad, India, who competed in the ice dance event at the Asian Winter Games: http://www.thehansindia.com/posts/i...ters-make-a-mark-at-Winter-Asian-Games/283311
... Anup Kumar, is the first Indian to win a gold medal in the World Roller-Skating Championship in Chinese Taipei in 2013. <snip> ... He is a legend in Asian roller-skating championship being the only Indian to hold 80 gold medals at the district level and 80 at national level, 8 medals at Asian level and one at world level.
“We ended the Asian Winter Games 2017 with a lot of learning. While we are pretty new to ice skating and having great potential with ice rinks in India, we are sure to have a rocking time and bring back India a lot of laurels and accolades!!! For now, we are taking back a lot of learning, knowledge, and experience to be shared with the Indian Skaters. See you all soon guys. Let's rock!!!,” writes Anup Kumar on his face book account.

Vagabond

http://static.isu.org/media/1021/2085-decisions-of-the-council-helsinki-2017.pdf

The ISU Council granted provisional ISU Membership for the Figure Skating Branch, effective as of May 12, 2017 for the Cambodia Ice Skating Federation (CISF).

:wideeyes:

I was wondering if this was for the benefit of homegrown skaters or someone in the Cambodian diaspora. And now I have my answer:

http://www.iceparkcambodia.com/news/cisf-holds-2nd-cambodia-national-figure-skating-championships
http://www.iceparkcambodia.com/news/skate-bangkok-2016

:)

Last edited:

livetoskate

Wow, those skaters look like they're 30 years old! Could the photo be of an adult skating competition? Well, nice to hear that skating is getting popular in Cambodia.

Sylvia

TBD
From post #1 in this thread one year ago (refer to the bolded article excerpt below; Blandford also is mentioned in the first article):
Article in the Phnom Penh Post: The coolest new sport: Cambodia’s ice skaters have Olympic dreams
The article also mentions that CISF secretary-general Long Sotheavy "is currently sorting out the paperwork for Cambodia to gain membership in the International Skating Union, which is required to enter the SEA Games."

Jan. 2016 Malaysian news article: Ice skating to be contested at 2017 SEA Games in Malaysia

Last edited:

Seerek

It'll be interesting to see if competing at both Asian Open Trophy (early August) and Southeast Asian Games will prove to be beneficial in preparing skaters like Alisson, Michael and Julian Yee for Nebelhorn the following month. I suspect most will hold over their short/long programs given the time frame (<4-5 months away).

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the "2016/17 Nationals List" thread in Kiss & Cry:
From my research, it appears Maisy Ma and Leslie Ip won the senior categories at Hong Kong nationals - not sure if that automatically means both will be headed to Nebelhorn in September.
@Seerek, I found the winning Hong Kong Nationals Senior and Junior ladies' total scores, respectively, for Maisy Ma, age 17 (128.11), and Yi Christy Leung, age 14 (155.45), published in a Chinese article (Google translation). Leung will not turn 15 until December so she is too young for senior internationals until 2018-19.

2017 Asian Open FS Trophy (currently the only ISU Senior B comp. in Asia) is scheduled to be held in Kowloon, Hong Kong, Aug. 3-5, according to the above article and this link: https://www.facebook.com/events/241699852947817/
(@Marco, maybe you'd be interested in going?)

Last edited:

CdnSk8Fan

Hong Kong Nationals
Some videos are up at this YT channel https://www.youtube.com/user/LoveLinLoveGym
(I found FS vid's a week or so ago, but can't find them now :( )
Maisy Ma Sr SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCPnK-Goc78
Christy Leung Jr SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja2z9JAzbwE

Protocols http://hksu.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/HKC17-FS-Protocol.pdf

SENIOR MEN FINAL RESULT Total Score NamePl. Nation SP FS
1 Leslie Man Cheuk IP HKG 155.20 4 1
2 Harrison Jon-Yen WONG HKG 145.86 2 2
3 Harry Hau Yin LEE HKG 143.65 1 4
4 Kwun Hung LEUNG HKG 132.78 6 3
5 Lap Kan Lincoln YUEN HKG 128.13 3 5
6 Adonis WONG HKG 114.85 5 6
7 Wayne Wing Yin CHUNG HKG 98.82 7 7

SENIOR LADIES FINAL RESULT Total Score NamePl. Nation SP FS
1 Maisy Hiu Ching MA HKG 128.11 1 1
2 Hiu Lok CHOW HKG 96.76 2 2
3 Tsz Ying CHIK HKG 80.64 3 3
Withdrawn Priscilla June CHAU HKG

Sylvia

TBD
Russian figure skating coaches Sergei Dudakov and Daniil Gleichengauz (in Eteri Tutberidze's group), assisted by national team head coaches Alexey Fedorov and Maria Safonova, are coaching at an international camp being held in the Philippines: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sports/2017/05/24/sm-seaside-holds-ice-skating-clinic-543699
The SM Skating and Philippine Skating Union (PhSU) is hosting the 2017 Philippine International Figure Skating Camp on May 20 to 30 at the SM Skating Seaside City Cebu to help bring ice skating to the countryside.
“We want to promote ice skating not only in Manila, and we will start it here in Cebu with this camp,” Christopher Martin, the operations manager of Ice Skating Rink, said in a press conference yesterday at SM Seaside.
The 10-day training camp drew 21 local and foreign participants, mostly members of the National Figure Skating Team and standout skaters from Vietnam, Malaysia and Australia.
“My experience in the camp is great. I’ve learned a lot from the international coaches. The camp was helpful and it is a good opportunity for us Filipinos,” said national team member Jules Alpe, who’s a two-time Philippine Figure Skating Championship gold medalist.
Cebu is 300+ miles south of Manila in the Philippines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information