Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

altai_rose

Have you tried Neutrogena Dry-Touch? It's very light and not greasy.
I've been using the Neutrogena Dry-Touch ultra sheer w/ helioplex for the past 10 years. I love this sunscreen because it's extremely sheer and doesn't make me break out. Definitely not greasy. In fact, the only minor negative is that it is a bit difficult to rub in because it is quite dry. And once in a while when you're in a hurry and rushing out the door in the morning, you might have a slight white streak in 1 or 2 spots where you didn't completely rub it in.

Reactions: fan

TheGirlCanSkate

I wish I had a new stylist who cut hair in the dark and didn't talk. I have a little hairdresser phobia so I watch youtube videos and learned to cut my own hair. I think that counts as a random confession too. :eek:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I honesty cannot see the mirror from the stylists chair if I don't have my glasses on. One stylist once told me "I wouldn't trust anyone if I couldn't see what they are doing to my hair. How can you stand it?"
Like I really have a choice? What part of I can't see was not heard?

millyskate

I wish I had a new stylist who cut hair in the dark and didn't talk. I have a little hairdresser phobia so I watch youtube videos and learned to cut my own hair. I think that counts as a random confession too. :eek:
I'm sat at the hairdresser's right now, waiting for my highlights to settle. There are 2 stylists who work in this salon, both equally skilled. The other stylist is a drama king and is always gossiping with his clients, who are friends with him on social media. My stylist is kind and doesn't talk hardly at all, and when he does it's super interesting. I wouldn't ever switch.

Jenny

From the Bloc
So the K-beauty pop up at Nordstrom was a disappointment - tons of cutesy stuff (makeup, sponges and brushes, makeup bags etc) and not enough skincare, which is my main interest. However, I did learn something that I thought worth sharing: I was chatting with the sales girl about a bunch of soaps asking what's the difference between them, and she told me that one in particular was for the V zone. V zone? I asked, and she discreetly pointed at her crotch :lol:

altai_rose

Let's talk nail polish. I bought 2 very light pastel shades from Essie, 1
pink and 1 blue, and was so disappointed when I tried it on. Very streaky. Not opaque at all.

What are your go to nail polish picks for an opaque pastel shade? Any tricks that work for you? (E.g., multiple layers, a white base coat, top coat etc)

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I use a not-quite-white base coat for all of my light polishes. Most often, it takes two coats of the base before I can get a good result with a pale blue, green or lilac as I have ridges. I have to be really motivated to go there. If I have a hard time get it right, a clear shimmer top coat usually masks any unevenness.

Bellanca

Let's talk nail polish. I bought 2 very light pastel shades from Essie, 1
pink and 1 blue, and was so disappointed when I tried it on. Very streaky. Not opaque at all.

What are your go to nail polish picks for an opaque pastel shade? Any tricks that work for you? (E.g., multiple layers, a white base coat, top coat etc)
I serve up my toenails, first when trying any new, untested, Sherwin-Williams type fingernail polishes and colors. Same goes for glossy, glittery, sparkly or the ever-tricky pastel polishes, etc. before I proceed full speed ahead to the fingernails. And, even then, the transfer doesn’t necessarily work. Trial and error.

I am much more comfortable going kind of crazy w/ the toenails and saving subtle for the fingernails. My mani-pedi 101.

ETA: sometimes, choosing to go the au naturel route and using a clear top coat/base coat, all-in-one product (only) works well, too. It gives the fingernails a nice, clean, professional, pulled together look requiring very low maintenance and a limited amount of $$$. Always a plus, in my (pocket) book. I also choose to stay away from fingernail 'bling' and nail art, as I was told that my hands and fingernails/fingernail beds are way too small to pull off the look. Oh! And, no bear claws, talons, etc., either.

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Although it is slightly more, I use shellac on both fingernails and toenails.
The last longer, stay nicer and don't rub off with my shoe

Aceon6

Those of you north of 50 who use Dr Gross... How often do you use it after your skin is where you need it to be? I was thinking of dropping down to once or twice a week from my current every other day. Will that be enough?

oleada

I always do gels on my fingernails. It's terrible for your nails, but it lasts so much longer and my nails are a hot mess from a lifetime of nail biting anyway.

Has anyone tried reverse washing their hair? My sister is swearing by it now but our hair types are quite different so IDK.

Aceon6

Has anyone tried reverse washing their hair? My sister is swearing by it now but our hair types are quite different so IDK.
I do it when my hair is overdue for a wash. It works well and eliminates the "repeat" part of lather, rinse, repeat. I have very fine hair that's not very porous.

quartz

scratching at the light
This is a thing? I sometimes will put more shampoo on my hair if I have accidentally put too much conditioner on, and the shampoo helps break it down so I can rinse it out. I have to wash my hair everyday. Its a rats nest otherwise. :yikes:

Also, does anyone know what eye shadow Gabby Daleman is wearing in her short program?

oleada

My hair tends to be oily so I only condition starting about halfway down to my ends, never the roots. I've never done the repeat part of "lather, rinse, repeat" either.

I wash my hair every other day. I don't know if it's the winter weather but it's felt drier/more damages lately.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I would just get a sulfate free shampoo and see if that works for you. I like Wen, myself, but there are cheaper options out there.

clairecloutier

I'm washing my hair every other day now. Used to do it every day, but my hairdresser recommended decreasing to keep my color in better shape. It does seem to help. I use Klorane Dry Shampoo on the off days.

oleada

I would just get a sulfate free shampoo and see if that works for you. I like Wen, myself, but there are cheaper options out there.

I already use sulfate fre shampoo (Organix brand because it's affordable). I use Kerastase for a while because the hairdresser recommended it to me but I didn't like the smell and didn't really notice a difference for the huge price tag. I tend to get dandruff, and the Kerastase didn't help with this.

I did try the reverse washing today so we'll see how it goes. So far it does feel very clean and soft :)

I also use dry shampoo - Batiste. The one for dark hair but it's not quite dark enough for me.

quartz

scratching at the light
I tried the reverse thing too, this morning. My hair is its usual soft, fluffy, and cowlicky. :p

oleada

Mine seems straighter. My hair is like half straight/half wavy; like it has some sort of identity crisis. I may keep doing this :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information