Volosozhar and Trankov: "Yes, we are expecting a baby!"

jenniferlyon

Lovely name!

Is it common in Russia to have hyphenated last names? It's not unusual in the US, and obviously Spanish and Latin countries use both last names.

I haven't come across many Russians with hyphenated names. Most female skaters keep their original surnames after marriage (i.e. Katia Gordeeva), but the kids have the same last name as their dad. Even among Americans, I don't see as many kids with hyphenated surnames as I did 15-20 years ago.

Areski

I haven't come across many Russians with hyphenated names. Most female skaters keep their original surnames after marriage (i.e. Katia Gordeeva), but the kids have the same last name as their dad. Even among Americans, I don't see as many kids with hyphenated surnames as I did 15-20 years ago.

In my country (Poland) most women still change their surname after wedlock. Some add surname of her husband to her own hence creating hyphenated one (like my mum). I even one came across woman with three part surname f.e (Biernacka- Kot - Herman). I guess her family name was two-part but that was really strange.[/QUOTE]

Rina RUS

Is it common in Russia to have hyphenated last names? It's not unusual in the US, and obviously Spanish and Latin countries use both last names.
Rimsky-Korsakov is a Russian composer. Garin-Mikhailovsky and Mamin-Sibiryak are Russian writers. Though maybe such names are rare indeed.

Ka3sha

Rimsky-Korsakov is a Russian composer. Garin-Mikhailovsky and Mamin-Sibiryak are Russian writers. Though maybe such names are rare indeed.
Hyphenated last names were a common thing in Russian Empire (and all these great people were born before the Revolution), but it's different nowadays.
I can't be 100% sure but afaik, a child can have a hyphenated last name only if his mother (or father) also has it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
They have done well to hide the face of the little one in the pics - so cute! It's nice to see the happy parents.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
In my country (Poland) most women still change their surname after wedlock. Some add surname of her husband to her own hence creating hyphenated one (like my mum). I even one came across woman with three part surname f.e (Biernacka- Kot - Herman). I guess her family name was two-part but that was really strange.
[/QUOTE]

Majority of American women do change their last names after getting married. It's a choice and not a requirement. Many are happy to take on the last name of their beloved husband. Retaining the maiden name or hyphenating is a smaller percentage. In rare cases both the man and the woman take on the same hyphenated name. The bottom line is - do as you wish. Personally, if I get married (highly unlikely), I would just keep my maiden name. I never cared for hyphenating. too unwieldy.

Japanfan

Personally, if I get married (highly unlikely), I would just keep my maiden name. I never cared for hyphenating. too unwieldy.[/QUOTE]

I kept my maiden name, and it's becoming more common for women to do so. The reason is to keep one's identity, rather than become the "Mrs."

My FIL once sent a Christmas card addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. HIS FIRST NAME HIS LAST NAME".

I wanted to send it back, with a note No "Mrs. HIS FIRST NAME HIS LAST NAME" lives here. :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Personally, if I get married (highly unlikely), I would just keep my maiden name. I never cared for hyphenating. too unwieldy.

I kept my maiden name, and it's becoming more common for women to do so. The reason is to keep one's identity, rather than become the "Mrs."

My FIL once sent a Christmas card addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. HIS FIRST NAME HIS LAST NAME".

I wanted to send it back, with a note No "Mrs. HIS FIRST NAME HIS LAST NAME" lives here. :)[/QUOTE]

I know women who just Love to be called Mrs. Last name of husband. I hate the word 'Mrs'. (I had started a thread about it sometime back). The point I am trying to make is that it is a choice, and not a rule or law.

Japanfan

I know women who just Love to be called Mrs. Last name of husband. I hate the word 'Mrs'. (I had started a thread about it sometime back). The point I am trying to make is that it is a choice, and not a rule or law.

I hate Mrs. as well - much prefer Ms.

My MIL, however, said that being able to take the surname of her husband was a great honour.

ETA: Also sorry to go OT.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sorry about the OT. This happy thread is about Tatiana and Maxim's beautiful baby girl Anjelika. The pics have not yet shown her face but I just know that she is a beauty.

More pictures please....?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Why on earth are they hiding the face of the child? To keep their fans waiting for more, no doubt.

I think in some cultures they protect babies in different ways, against bad vibrations coming from anywhere (like a person looking at the baby or otherwise). So they may be protecting the baby from the public sites and forums.

Besides anything cultural, there's a general growing trend towards not posting your child's picture on social media too. Quite a few of my friends as a rule don't share their kids' pictures with anyone other than close friends and family, and never on any social media. The logic is that kids can't consent to having their picture all over the internet.

Perky Shae Lynn

A couple of years ago I stopped posting pictures of my kids on social media. No specific reason, not because of any superstition - just no longer felt comfortable sharing my family with strangers. So I can totally understand not sharing a picture of a newborn on social media. I think the days when everyone rushed to announce every major event in their lives on Facebook and Instagram are gone.

lala

Totmianina and Yagudin published their daughter's photos only when she was 4 months old..

Plushenko published their son's photos after the Christening Sasha was 5 months old. They did it despite one of the Japanese magazines would have paid 50.000 $ for the pics.

Perky Shae Lynn

Plushenko published their son's photos after the Christening Sasha was 5 months old. They did it despite one of the Japanese magazines would have paid 50.000 $ for the pics.
Perhaps it's a Russian custom not to show the baby's face until the Christening?

skatepixie

Awww congrats to them! <3

As for what to be called -- Mrs. has never bothered me, but Ms. bothers me to no end. Before I was married I preferred Miss -- not big on neologisms in general, I suppose.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wonderful for Max and Tatiana! :)

Regarding not showing the baby's face, it's perfectly understandable regardless of cultural tradition. There is definitely a move by many parents, including high profile celebrity parents to protect their children's privacy and keep them from being publicly over-exposed/ over-photographed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information