Chantastic....the return of Patrick

kittysk8ts

He's got his own rink or club here in BC now, which has made him a very rich young man. I think he's just hanging on to 'get through' 2018 in Korea, and then move on to pursuits that are more meaningful and enjoyable to him. I would be very surprised if he won a medal in his last Olympics, but who knows, the stars may line up for him one more time again.

That fell through when he and Kathy split. It was to have been a joint venture. To say he is "very rich" young man, I believe to be an exaggeration.

bardtoob

That fell through when he and Kathy split. It was to have been a joint venture. To say he is "very rich" young man, I believe to be an exaggeration.

Yeah, he probably made enough to pay back his parents for the early cost of training and has enough saved to retire in old age, but probably still expects to work one way or another for the next 30 years.

Jammers

Who he beat is not minor, but the event itself is not that big. Four Continents is clearly behind Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix final, Europeans, and the prominent National Championships in importance. Maybe even World Juniors. Fumie Suguri is like a 4 time winner of Four Continents, and Amber Corwin is a multi medalist at the event.
And exactly who did Javier beat at Europeans? The fact is a majority of the top skaters were at 4CC and not Europeans which is basically just another Russian event.

montrealsurfa

Banned Member
And exactly who did Javier beat at Europeans? The fact is a majority of the top skaters were at 4CC and not Europeans which is basically just another Russian event.

In prestige of Europeans is still considered greater. In 1994 the European ladies event had a much stronger field than Word Championships ladies event, but the Worlds was still the bigger event.

kittysk8ts

Thanks, I did not know that. Seems like a high cost to pay for splitting with Kathy, however.
No problem :) The split from Kathy was not his choice, so he had to re-focus his efforts towards new coaches and training base. I am sure there will be another opportunity for him in the future :)

Japanfan

In prestige of Europeans is still considered greater.

According to whom (i.e. judges, officials, political players in the sport)? And what is that outcome of that prestige? (i.e. medalists at Europeans get more favour and recognition than medalists at 4CCs)?

Although there have been some 4CCs to which countries have sent their B Team, there have been as many or more to which they've sent their A team - like this year, in part because it exposes the athletes to the Olympic venue. In some cases, the fields have been really tight.

In my view, the two competitions are of equal value and hold equal weight.

Last edited:

Meoima

According to whom (i.e. judges, officials, political players in the sport)? And what is that outcome of that prestige? (i.e. medalists at Europeans get more favour and recognition than medalists at 4CCs)?

Although there have been some 4CCs to which countries have sent their B Team, there have been as many or more to which they've sent their A team - like this year, in part because it exposes the athletes to the Olympic venue. In some cases, the fields have been really tight.

In my view, the two competitions are of equal value and hold equal weight.
But to be honest, many young fans still have no clue what 4CC is lol... i mean the name of the competition is a bit funny. If it's Asian Championships and American Championships maybe they will have more weight in the name lol.

chapis

IMO the name 4cc seems more impressive because is definitely bigger than Europe, even if it would be only Asia and America, it is bigger than Europe.

Japanfan

But to be honest, many young fans still have no clue what 4CC is lol... i mean the name of the competition is a bit funny. If it's Asian Championships and American Championships maybe they will have more weight in the name lol.

I don't see anything funny about the name. It's 'Four Continents', which means skaters from four (or more) continents - presuming that skaters from Africa, Asia, North America, South America, and Australia can attend. I do think there has been the odd skater from Africa at 4CCs, but could be wrong.

So, the name is no less accurate than Europeans, which I'll point out is sometimes short-formed as 'Euros', just as 4CCs is a short form.

A young fan in North America who wants to follow the sport closely will learn about 4CCs, just as I learned about the Grand Prix series, just as a fan in Europe will learn about Europeans. In fact young fans in both places will likely learn about both competitions.

Emdee

His name is still showing on the Drummond Club site. Where does it say his elite school is cancelled? I know the Club isn't ready yet.....

Meoima

I don't see anything funny about the name. It's 'Four Continents', which means skaters from four (or more) continents - presuming that skaters from Africa, Asia, North America, South America, and Australia can attend. I do think there has been the odd skater from Africa at 4CCs, but could be wrong.

So, the name is no less accurate than Europeans, which I'll point out is sometimes short-formed as 'Euros', just as 4CCs is a short form.

A young fan in North America who wants to follow the sport closely will learn about 4CCs, just as I learned about the Grand Prix series, just as a fan in Europe will learn about Europeans. In fact young fans in both places will likely learn about both competitions.
Well most new fans on Facebook and Tumblr don't seem to get 4CC so... if you ask me I think they should have named it differently.

chapis

Well most new fans on Facebook and Tumblr don't seem to get 4CC so... if you ask me I think they should have named it differently.

Yuri on ice fans bother you, but you are totaly okay with fans enough stupid to don´t know or search what 4cc means?:confused: . In that case 4cc should be renamed ¨figure skating competition where every country associated to ISU can to participate except Europe¨

Meoima

Yuri on ice fans bother you, but you are totaly okay with fans enough stupid to don´t know or search what 4cc means?:confused: . In that case 4cc should be renamed ¨figure skating competition where every country associated to ISU can to participate except Europe¨
Those new fans are Yuri on ice fans btw lol
The issue isn't that I like them or not. They're here so I can't chase them away. I just notice the name of 4CC isn't appealing to new fans, that's all.

Sylvia

TBD
His name is still showing on the Drummond Club site. Where does it say his elite school is cancelled? I know the Club isn't ready yet.....
I only found a passing reference in this article before High Performance Camp last fall:
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/3...-place-as-he-prepares-for-new-skating-journey
Chan experienced a summer of upheaval and to some extent, chaos. He split with his coach, Kathy Johnson, and postponed a much-heralded move to Vancouver where he was going to train and open up a skating school with Johnson.
That’s all kaput, at least for now.

Sylvia

TBD
PHOTOS: http://windsorite.ca/2017/03/photos...t-patrick-chan-and-world-competition-coaches/
Central Park Athletics hosted a sold-out Figure Skating Clinic with Olympic and world competition coaches Saturday morning to the afternoon.
The clinic featured 9-time Canadian Champion and Olympic Medalist Patrick Chan, as well as Marina Zoueva, Johnny Johns, Saulius Ambrulevicius, Michael Lee and Yelena Sokolova.
50 young skaters were able to attend this clinic to learn and get tips from some of the best in the sport. After classes and skating with the coaches, attendees were able to enjoy a lunch while mingling with and taking photos with the special guests.

Sylvia

TBD
Patrick Chan spoke to the press today about the technical challenges he faces and the changes he has made since Four Continents in February and what he thinks it will take to remain competitive.
https://www.ifsmagazine.com/new-strategy-patrick-chan/

ETA from the Canadian Men's thread in GSD:
Okay from that article, his jump layout:
This would have him repeating the quad toe, the triple axel, and the triple toe, which is not allowed right? Maybe it's a typo and he intends a triple lutz double toe at the end of the program.

Last edited:

Debrah

Well while Chen has the Quad jumps that will likely win big events I would never re-watch his videos which after the fact is like watching paint dry Jump crossover Jump etc., or go to see him do stars on ice, OTH Patrick Chan's skating is simply sublime and even if he can't jump multiple Quads what he does do is spellbinding when he is in the zone thus I will re-watch his programs over and over as well as hope he will do some TV specials or pay to see him doing show tours like SOI...I prefer a balance of tech elements skating skills and pure artistry...Other's may write you off but I still believe you are the best skater ever...I'll be happy with 2 strong personal best skates in Finland...Go Patrick!

kittysk8ts

Well while Chen has the Quad jumps that will likely win big events I would never re-watch his videos which after the fact is like watching paint dry Jump crossover Jump etc., or go to see him do stars on ice, OTH Patrick Chan's skating is simply sublime and even if he can't jump multiple Quads what he does do is spellbinding when he is in the zone thus I will re-watch his programs over and over as well as hope he will do some TV specials or pay to see him doing show tours like SOI...I prefer a balance of tech elements skating skills and pure artistry...Other's may write you off but I still believe you are the best skater ever...I'll be happy with 2 strong personal best skates in Finland...Go Patrick!
Yes! I too am 100% in his corner, always and forever. I am a bit nervous about the layout changes so late in the season. Totally appreciate that they are crunching the numbers and such but the changes sound fairly significant and I hope he has had enough run throughs. Of course, it is probably a lot easier for someone of his experience than I am imagining it to be. lol. I worry :)

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Patrick Chan forced to follow suit with wave of new figure skaters

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/w...ck-chan-world-championships-feature-1.4041745

"The 26-year-old from Toronto will make what could be his final world championship appearance in Finland this week (March 29-April 2). And days away from taking the ice at Helsinki's Hartwell Arena, Chan was asked: has his comeback been worth it?

Chan took a season off after his heartbreaking silver medal in Sochi. When he returned, skating's landscape was practically unrecognizable.

At Four Continents last month, American teenage sensation Nathan Chen reeled off a jaw-dropping five quads in the long program for the first time in history.

"I was not expecting [how much the sport would advance]," Chan said. "I thought Yuzu [Hanyu, the Olympic champion] in 2014 in Sochi really had pushed the limit and was hitting that limit. Clearly that's been proven wrong."

Chan now has three quads in his long program, but has yet to land all three in an international competition. Still, his far-from-flawless long program at Four Continents was only 25 points off the torrid pace Chen set — a testament to the Canadian's exquisite skating skills."

VGThuy

I thought for Zayak purposes, a triple and quad jump are considered different jumps so you can perform two 3Toes and two 4Toes as long as one of each is in a combination.

Firedancer

No one of those 3toes has to be a double or he is not going to get credit.

I think this is the layout he has been using and the 3A3T is just a mistake. He said he was gonna do the 4S second and a 3A1/2Lo3S.

Last edited:

screech

Patrick doesn't seem to be on Twitter much, but I just sent him a tweet begging him not to Zayak in the LP, and pointing out that according to the IFS article he's repeating the 4T (one alone and one with a 3T), 3A (one in series) and 3T (one with a 4T one with a 3Lz). Hopefully it was just a misprint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information