U.S. Pairs 2017 - News & Updates, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Just watched pairs..

Holy CR*P.. The best Scimerim has ever looked.

BEST DRESSED american pairs team this year.

I LOVVVVED both programs so so much! The music as perfect!! I EAT my words.. I wouldnt even had known that was Unchained Melody... SUCH GREAT MUSIC.... Elizabeth was heavy... this was them. I TAKE BACK everything I said. Triple twist was amaze bals.. Cant wait to see the return of the quad. GREAT throws....

Im so so glad we get to see these programs one more time.... These are my favorite programs they have done.

xxx

Cain & LeDuc.. what do the judges want? They get the silver in my brain. (Scimerim got Gold.) :) hehehe

They are so sophisticated. Lines. Synchronized. Details. Delicious.

I know she is putting the hand down on her first throw. Is it habit or does he need to throw her with more power?

Its so cool to see some unusual jumps.

Love their spins.

106? Were the judges at a potty break? I thought should be 115 or higher.

Cant wait to see next year.

clairecloutier

Marissa and Mervin are on the Ice Talk podcast this week. Very candid responses about their career and their future together. Great stuff!

http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

Good interview ... But I really wish Nick had asked if they were getting 2 new programs this season!! I assume they'll at least get a new LP (after 2 years of Journey), but I'd like to know if they'll be getting a new SP as well.

I'm glad that they sound optimistic about next season.

Chemistry66

Unfortunately, Coleman/Griffin are now listed on the USFS International Assignments page as withdrawn as of February 13th.

Erin Coleman/Derrick Griffin, the US Novice Pairs champions, are assigned to Challenge Cup in The Hague, NED! The event is scheduled for February 23rd-26th.

They're competing Junior instead of Advanced Novice because both are too old for ISU Novice, where the age limits are < 15 for the girl and < 17 for the boy, by the July 1st preceding the season. (Erin was 15 last June and Derrick is already 20)

It should give them a jump on Junior programs for next season though, which may be helpful since 2017-2018 is their only JGP-eligible season as Derrick turns 21 just a few weeks after the next season starts.

Sylvia

TBD
Unfortunately, Coleman/Griffin are now listed on the USFS International Assignments page as withdrawn as of February 13th.
There is no Junior Pairs event at Challenge Cup now.

ETA:

I came across this confirmation online that Coleman/Griffin "train at the Pines Ice Arena in Pembroke Pines, Florida with John Zimmerman, Jeremy Barrett, Silvia Fontana, and John Kerr."
http://www.beccasphotos.com/erin-derrick/

Last edited:

Chemistry66

There is no Junior Pairs event at Challenge Cup now.

According to the Challenge Cup twitter, as of 2/11, they were the only entry listed (and only 2 Senior Pairs), anyway. That would have been an uneventful competition.

At least they do have one Junior eligible season since Derrick (barely) makes it under the maximum age cutoff.

aftershocks

Banned Member
ITA that Marissa and Mervin are very candid in their Ice Talk interview with Nick McCarvel. Nick did a good job of trying to touch on the hard questions, as well as keeping things lighthearted. I think M&M are reiterating the stance they've always taken, that the Olympics would be great but it's not why they decided to skate together. It's a positive response that they want people to Google them, and they want to come out gangbusters next season and make everyone want to send them to the Olympics despite Merv not being eligible to go next year.

I'm glad to hear M&M feisty and determined, as well as acknowledging the areas they need to work on to keep improving. I would imagine @clairecloutier that M&M will most likely get two new programs next season, although there is the possibility for them to keep their sp and get a new fp. I would like to see them get two new programs and really work on gaining more confidence with their technical elements since they have all the aesthetics and style that can be competitive with the best in the world. I think it's a good thing to see all U.S. pairs pushing each other to be their best.

One of the things I would have liked to question M&M about is their coaching situation, although I think it's pretty apparent from their general responses that they are both comfortable with Gauthier/Marcotte and with choreographer, Julie Marcotte. I even detect a bit of a Montreal accent creeping into Marissa's speech patterns. :) Another question though is once Merv receives his green card, doesn't he have to live for a specified period of time in the U.S. to fulfill citizenship requirements? Lots of good luck to M&M. I too would have liked to see them another time this season, but I hope they use this time to begin working hard toward bigger and better improvements next season.

Kudos to all the U.S. pairs teams at 4CCs. It definitely will be a tough battle for them all to improve on their weaknesses and enhance their strengths to be highly competitive on the World stage. I think that Denney/Frazier were lowballed a bit on PCS. They have shown a lot of improvement, plus they have difficult, very competitive lifts and good speed over the ice. I don't think they are too far behind S-K/K in ability, so I would chalk the scoring/placements partly up to Haven needing to regain more confidence and strength on her jumps, and also the politics of pairs, and the depth of the pairs field.

Hopefully, this has been a good learning experience for Cain/LeDuc to plan their training and competitive strategies for next season. They look good, but will need to increase their speed, improve combo spin, develop more difficult lifts, tweak timing and technique on their throw jumps, and commit to working on improving blade skills (which will help with overall speed and polish). It's amazing how much C/L have accomplished already as a very new partnership.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I really wish Nick had asked if they were getting 2 new programs this season!!

Apparently, it's possible for fans to tweet questions in advance. Of course, Nick may not have time to ask all questions posed by fans. At the end of his interview with M&M, Nick indicated that he will interview Meryl and Charlie on next week's broadcast (and Mariah Bell).

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Apparently, it's possible for fans to tweet questions in advance. Of course, Nick may not have time to ask all questions posed by fans. At the end of his interview with M&M, Nick indicated that he will interview Meryl and Charlie on next week's broadcast (and Mariah Bell).

I don't remember seeing a tweet from Icenetwork asking for questions for Marissa and Mervin, but I may have missed it. I didn't see one for his interview with Madi and Evan either.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Does anyone know why the Hubbarts broke up?

Both are on Icepartner search so it seems that they continuing on but not together.
I can only speculate that perhaps the lack of size difference? (William is not especially tall--pretty much your usual skater height.) :( (They're a lovely family, great kids, trained at our rink for a year before returning to Florida. Not in touch with them so I didn't know William and JoJo had decided to seek other partners.)

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't remember seeing a tweet from Icenetwork asking for questions for Marissa and Mervin, but I may have missed it. I didn't see one for his interview with Madi and Evan either.

I think it's mentioned during the Ice Talk broadcast where to tweet questions. I'm not sure.

IN has an article up about Simon Shnapir working as High Performance Director at The Skating Club of Boston:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/02/23/216817864/shnapir-brings-high-performance-program-to-scob

Near the end of the article, there is mention of SCOB procuring additional pairs coaches:

"... Just two weeks ago, it was announced that 1994 world pairs champions Evgenia Shishkova and Vadim Naumov are joining the coaching staff."

olympic

Is it just me or does Chris seemed to have improved SS? Even after the time off from competitive ice, there is a noticeable amount of ease to his technique that didn't even exist a year ago (IMO). Maybe, he trained solo while Alexa was recovering??

Sylvia

TBD
Is it just me or does Chris seemed to have improved SS? Even after the time off from competitive ice, there is a noticeable amount of ease to his technique that didn't even exist a year ago (IMO). Maybe, he trained solo while Alexa was recovering??
From a 4CC preview article excerpt posted earlier in this thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...s-updates-part-vii.100449/page-6#post-5009635
"On the whole, Alexa's illness forced us to take time to work on the details -- not to relearn everything but to work on skating skills, union, a lot of mirror work," Sappenfield said. "Chris took the time Alexa was off the ice to develop his skating skills and his jumps."
Denney/Frazier recently spent some in Canton, Michigan (I assume working with Marina Zoueva on their programs, among other things?), according to Karen Chen's Instagram photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRJu52SD1R-/

Last edited:

acraven

But why does Chris [Knierim] always look shaky coming out of the double toe

I think trying to match their partners' lower jumps is a challenge for male pair skaters. And if the two skaters joined the partnership with different jump technique (different entry patterns, etc.), one or both of then had to change what had been doing for years.

Sylvia

TBD
Max Settlage has a new partner who is new to pairs, as reported by Sarah Brannen at the end of her Inside Edge blog today:
[Winter] Deardorff, who is from Kentucky, competed as a novice singles skater at the 2017 Eastern Great Lakes Regional Championships, where she finished sixth. She had never tried pairs skating prior to trying out with Settlage last August.
"I really liked the way that skating with another person felt -- it's kind of a comforting feeling," she said. "I'm very excited to try something new."
Settlage, 24, and Deardorff, 16, made the decision to team up at the end of February. They'll train in Colorado Springs with Dalilah Sappenfield.
"I wanted to think my options through really clearly, but this was the best possible option for me," Settlage said. "We have a lot to get done, but I know Dalilah will get us where we want to be. I can't tell you how excited I am for the coming season."
ETA: Both are clockwise rotating skaters. Deardorff has landed 2A, 3T & 3S cleanly in competition (EGL Regionals this past October, for example: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2017/24239/SEGM007.html ).

Max tweeted a photo of them standing on the ice: https://twitter.com/Max_Settlage/status/837756721896415232

Last edited:

annie720

Max Settlage has a new partner who is new to pairs, as reported by Sarah Brannen at the end of her Inside Edge blog today:

ETA: Both are clockwise rotating skaters. Deardorff has landed 2A, 3T & 3S cleanly in competition (EGL Regionals this past October, for example: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2017/24239/SEGM007.html ).

Max tweeted a photo of them standing on the ice: https://twitter.com/Max_Settlage/status/837756721896415232

Thanks for the info! Good luck to both of them!

AYS

🌻
Best of luck to them! I'm still a little sad to not see Maddie/Max, as they were unique and so wonderfully balletic, but looking forward to seeing how these guys do.

bwayrose7

Wishing them the best! Although, I'm curious: if she competed as a novice in singles this season, how does it work for her to compete in seniors as a pair girl next year? Sorry if this is a dumb question - testing/competition levels aren't really my area of expertise!

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wishing them the best! Although, I'm curious: if she competed as a novice in singles this season, how does it work for her to compete in seniors as a pair girl next year? Sorry if this is a dumb question - testing/competition levels aren't really my area of expertise!

I don't understand all the regulations and requirements. But probably, similar to Mary Beth Marley (who also had been a singles skater before teaming up with Rockne Brubaker), Deardorff will have to pass a series of pairs tests. Perhaps she has already and it just wasn't mentioned in the article blurb.

Good luck to 'Sax Mettlage' Max and his new partner, Winter! :)

jdonavan

I don't understand all the regulations and requirements. But probably, similar to Mary Beth Marley (who also had been a singles skater before teaming up with Rockne Brubaker), Deardorff will have to pass a series of pairs tests. Perhaps she has already and it just wasn't mentioned in the article blurb.

Good luck to 'Sax Mettlage' Max and his new partner, Winter! :)

Folks we've been through this with Deanna Stellato. All she needs to take is her senior pair test as long as she has her senior moves.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think trying to match their partners' lower jumps is a challenge for male pair skaters. And if the two skaters joined the partnership with different jump technique (different entry patterns, etc.), one or both of then had to change what had been doing for years.

I wish someone experienced in pairs could describe the difficulty/ fine line in trying to adjust your jumping to synchronize with your partner's. :drama: Why is it not possible to just practice, practice, practice, and work out rhythms, without having to make too many over-adjustments and end up forgetting how to jump just because you are trying to jump in unison? Jump out of unison as long as you slowly work out rhythms and bring unison into line without holding back on finessing your own technical abilities.

I understand that having different jump techniques is more challenging for newly partnered pairs teams. The Chinese pairs are a great example of the advantages in learning/ possessing the same jump technique.

PairSk8r123

I wish someone experienced in pairs could describe the difficulty/ fine line in trying to adjust your jumping to synchronize with your partner's. :drama: Why is it not possible to just practice, practice, practice, and work out rhythms, without having to make too many over-adjustments and end up forgetting how to jump just because you are trying to jump in unison? Jump out of unison as long as you slowly work out rhythms and bring unison into line without holding back on finessing your own technical abilities.

I understand that having different jump techniques is more challenging for newly partnered pairs teams. The Chinese pairs are a great example of the advantages in learning/ possessing the same jump technique.

Even more than synchronization, it can be distracting to jump with someone right beside you. If one partner pops or falls, it can often mess up the other partner's concentration. It definitely gets better with practice, but coaches sometimes limit jump attempts to prevent injuries. There is a bit of a fine line between practicing jumps until they are absolutely consistent and avoiding overuse injuries/strains. Pairs is a rough sport on the body so more of the focus is on quality rather than quantity in many practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information