Davis and White #36: What a Wonderful World

Debbie S

Nice site! I see there is a note near the bottom of the home page that says they are "open for opportunities for shows, signing events, entertainment, etc…" I'm thinking that's the confirmation they're not coming back? ;)

mollymgr

It's about time they updated the site. Looks good. That IS going to be the announcement.:drama:

Tim Morehouse is doing the interview for this AOL Build session. IMO, I am never happy with any of his questions.:shuffle: There is no happy ground since they end up falling in the boring or awkward bucket without fail. I'm hoping tomorrow will be better.

For those who are sad that they won't be back, you might find scrolling through this page very therapeutic.:wuzrobbed
https://www.meryldavisandcharliewhite.com/team/competitive-history/

ETA: This site is a gold mine, pun intended. Charlie is interviewing in Helsinki??:watch:

Last edited:

VGThuy

It's smart to work on their website. They are a brand together, and they need to make themselves look as professional and current as possible. This way, they have a springboard where they can attempt to expand their market a bit.

Laura4

Meryl and Charlie will be skating at Rock Center tomorrow morning. Meryl answered a fan on twitter who asked about it. Also, Stars On Ice tweeted to be sure and watch them on the Today show so I'm sure they'll be promoting SOI as well.

VGThuy

Charlie and Meryl just announced they will not be coming back for the Os on The Today Show

As I said in the other thread, I'm not surprised as Meryl and Charlie seem very comfortable with this chapter of their career and they have been putting a lot of energy in the past few seasons in supporting the current American ice dance teams.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
Not surprised at all. They clearly have been enjoying many new opportunities in life that wouldn't have been open to them if they were going to make a comeback. I do think they could have been very competitive, but the comments they've made in the last few years show that they are doing their best to support team USA. I still miss seeing them in competition, but I'm happy that they've made a decision they are at peace with. :)

mollymgr

There is only so much left to prove. After a point, you have to go on to newer things to accomplish, especially with the way they have been doing for the past three years. I would have loved to see them compete again since I miss it a lot.:fragile: But at the same time I realize that the Olympic medal was like a lifelong dream come true. They had to sacrifice so much to get to that point that it is only natural to explore more of what life has to offer. It is wise to move on to other big dreams now...:cheer2:

Barbara Manatee

Who is more relieved, their fans or their competitor's fans? :p I knew it was coming and think it's the right decision for them and for the sport, but do I ever miss them and miss their style.

More interviews:

Olympic Talk
Detroit News
Detroit Free Press

They are such lovely people.
“The mantle of being the first, we proudly wear,” White said. “I don’t want to take away from it, but we did it on the back of everyone else. It was a group project.”

DreamsofBliss

They look really good! I wish them all happiness and every success. I'm so thankful for all they have given and continue to give to US ice dance.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Clearly no surprise. They likely made the decision sometime ago and they are just announcing now.

As I said in the GSD thread, they've competed gloriously at two Olympic games, and they left nothing on the table. I'm excited to see what they have in store for their fans in the near future both on and off the ice! I'm sure they will be finding creative projects that will surprise and delight their fans! Shine on Meryl & Charlie -- you have won my heart forever. :cheer2: :encore:

Does anyone know where I can write to Meryl/Charlie directly to thank them for all they have given to the sport and to their fans?

Sylvia

TBD
Associated Press article: https://www.apnews.com/b97e0750f1b7...-champions-Davis-White-skipping-2018-Olympics
Both Davis and White are pursuing degrees at Michigan, she in anthropology and he in political science. They laugh when asked if they're on the "Tommy Boy" plan, because each has been attending the school on and off since 2006. Or, as White says, "When Rich Rodriguez was the football coach."
Davis is involved in another project that has her eager to break new ground. She and White were honored by Figure Skating in Harlem last year, and the organization is branching out for the first time — to Detroit. Davis was instrumental in having her hometown selected.
Meryl's GoFundMe for FS in Harlem already has raised $2,475 of the $2,250 initial goal (purchasing safety helmets for their Feb. 25 Detroit workshop) with donations by 54 people in 3 days! https://www.gofundme.com/3ej2ca0

aftershocks

Banned Member
AOL Build interview. This is a good one! I don't hear any regrets, though they must have a few, but mainly they sound like there's a weight off their shoulders. I think we are going to enjoy 'new Meryl and Charlie.'

What a great interview. Lots of fun moments. :D Plus I love how Charlie kept it light while also seriously answering the question re his higher profile speaking out on social media thoughtfully, reasonably and responsibly about his feelings and philosophies as a citizen. Right on!!! Classy, classy as always.

Meryl and Charlie, you are the absolute bee's knees, and then some. :cheer2:

ballettmaus

I have to admit, I am kind of relieved that they decided to retire. I would have loved to see them back at competiton, I just mind the attitude that has developed over the past few years of athletes just coming back to get yet another Olympic medal, and I like that they're not doing that. I feel that if athletes made the decision for the love of the sport, they'd take a year off, then return to competition but most of the athletes decide to come back just for the Olympics and that is something that I don't like. Just my personal pet-peeve. :)
I think that Meryl and Charlie are able to retire suggests that they feel that they have achieved enough, that they are confident in their abilities and ready to move on because of that. As was said upthread - nothing left to prove.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds for them (hopefully, many skating shows among other things ;) )

applelady

Aww, the AOL interview is great!!:cheer2: It was over far too soon! I love how relaxed they seem and they're still so funny and cute together. Thank you so much for posting it, Barbara Manatee; I missed the live feed because of work.

mollymgr

I need another one of those Live in the D features with them. Someone please make it happen!!!!!!

Barbara Manatee

Nice to see this in the AP article -
Davis and White will continue skating together, most notably headlining Stars on Ice both this year from April 13-May 21, and for an extended series of shows after the Pyeongchang Olympics.
They're on board for SOI next year, which is a relief to me since I can't go this year.

entire post
Yeah, I do regret that we won't see them going balls to the wall in a competitive program with their new skills (and twizzles!). But I appreciate the sportsmanship of not coming back for more medals just because they can. Now someone else's Olympic dream can come true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information