The Shoma Uno fan thread - Go for número UNO!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Norwegian commentator kept calling him "Shumo" during the entire sp yesterday. :wall: It can't be that hard!
They need to memorize his name as "Show Max" or "Show Man"! Those words combined sounds much similar to the correct pronunciation of his name than "Shomu" or "Shomo" to Japanese people's ears.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Thanks @rosewood for the videos! Seems like there is a disease called deletions at YT.

Looking forward to the Asian Winter Games! Go Shoma!
Bummer. YT videos are frequently taken down for the reason TV companies' copy rights are strictly protected in Japan. Seems many Japanese FS fans left YT for the reason and they are posting short clips on twitter as well as full size videos on DM where videos can survive.

I talked mostly on scores in my #270 post since I haven't seen his programs well enough to comment on them. hehe I'll do during Asian Winter Games comparing them to his performances in AWG. Hopefully he'll survive this competition-marathon staying healthy.

kittyjake5

Here are fan cams from 4CC on YT. Love this uploader's high quality videos much more than TV broadcasted ones in which cameramans showed lots of close up shots of skaters' faces during stsq or spins.
SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLRNM2et88A
FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjCwbm-k3gk

Loved his speed and deep edges!

Oh my these videos are great, thanks @rosewood! Love Shoma's skating he is Special!

Shoma announced he'll keep the current jump layout in SP and won't debut 4S this time at the airport in Japan for Coupe de Printenps. Seems he's tired by skating at competitions like every two weeks.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170307-00000082-sph-spo

That is good news no need to add a new jump to throw his timing off. Plenty of time for him to train the 4S after Worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
Shoma easily won Coupe du Printemps in Luxembourg with a total score of 303.68. :)

Re-posting from the Kiss & Cry section:
Shoma! So beautiful! I guess he's here to have a practice run of Worlds in Europe??
[SP] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFFsVnzqtQM
I think he's got everything. He could land anywhere between 5th and even 1st at Worlds. Go Shoma!
He scored 104.31 in SP (58.81 TES / 45.50 PCS) 9.25 8.83 9.17 9.00 9.25 0.00 #2
4F, 4T+3T, second half 3A & all level 4 spins & footwork.

FS today:
1 Shoma UNO JPN 199.37 107.71 92.66 9.33 9.00 9.17 9.50 9.33 1.00 #5
FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ1yPdEbiQc
4Lo fall, 4F good flow out, 3Lz(!) spinny landing / 3A+3T, 4T, 4T+2T, 3A-half loop-2F stepped out of landing?, 3S. Level 4 on all 3 spins, level 3 steps.

Last edited:

tamms

I watched Shoma’s episode on Spirits of the Athletes over the weekend. The tag line to his episode was “Someday I want to surpass the top”.

The episode highlighted his accomplishments, training, his 4F and his ambition to be on the same level as Hanyu. They also interviewed Coach Yamada. She said he was a very cute child but didn’t think he would succeed. However, he is also very disciplined with himself since he sets up his own training schedules. He has a clear idea of what he wants to do at a certain time during training.

He also love his games. He picked it over skating when the show staff asked him to choose between the two. Haha.

tamms

Congrats to Shoma on his Worlds SP small medal. He pulled it together and I’m so proud of him!

Here’s to hoping he does well in his free skate too!
:cheer2:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177

kittyjake5

^Me too! It will be very very early for me when the men compete. So I will start with coffee by the time the Ice Dancing begins I will graduate to wine to get me through!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Woohoo! Congrats to Shoma for winning a silver at Worlds! I remember people worried about his LP when he debuted it. But it improved a lot with the season progressed, and now it became a tremendous program. I was thrilled today! :40beers: :cheer2: :kickass:

snoopy

His free is great. My fav of the event. I'd like to see his score if he was perfectly clean. He might have won with his lead in the short.

Plusdinfo

Woohoo! Congrats to Shoma for winning a silver at Worlds! I remember people worried about his LP when he debuted it. But it improved a lot with the season progressed, and now it became a tremendous program. I was thrilled today! :40beers: :cheer2: :kickass:

I agree that the latest performance of this LP was "tremendous." I was really hoping Shoma or Javier would win the event, and Shoma was so, so, so close...

My enjoyment of his two programs outweighs the final standings, fortunately, and it is heartening as a spectator to see that a judging panel is willing to reward Shoma and not mark him way behind Yuzuru. I am a believer that Shoma can win the GPF, Olympic gold, Worlds 2018, any event. He is superb both technically and in terms of his performance skills. Though the men have a pretty solid field these days, I felt after this competition that Shoma has at last reached the point where his combined brilliance in both areas has him, in my mind, as the overall top skater in the field.

:cool:;):40beers: GREAT season for Shoma!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
It was a tall order for him to win Worlds in the beginning of this season. But now we can actually say "Go for Numero UNO!" You are reachable next season! :cheer:

BTW I guess he'll be invited to WTT. So we'll have another chance to see his skating in this season. Wish he'll be relaxed and able to skate a clean program.

tamms

I’m so happy for Shoma and his world silver medal! No more tears! :)

It’s been amazing to watch him grow technically and artistically. Personally, his jump landings are still inconsistent but I hear he’s going to work with Anthony Liu for a week this summer. Kind of short but I hope it benefits his jumps in some way. But I gotta say, his 3A1L3F was absolutely gorgeous this time. Not a fan of the single loop combos but he makes it work. The flow of it was great.

After WTT, I hope he gets some decent rest. Poor guy and his perpetual sleepy look!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
He says Turandot which he skated in his debut season in Sr field is the program he loves and he has lots of memories with it. He says he's excited, and it'll be fun as well as difficult to skate it again. He wishes to show how he improved since the debut season.

As for Winter, he says he'll skate it in summer shows although the image of the program is winter.

Any thoughts, guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information