UPDATES ON MY DREAM TO LEARN TO ICE-DANCE...WISH ME LUCK!!

Clarice

If you're on two feet and you're on edges, your ankles are most likely rolling, like skittl said. (I think it's more likely they're rolling in, though.) It's important to have strong ankles, and that is probably what Nick is working on by having you stand on the flats.

Clarice

When you're on two feet, are both feet on inside edges? If so, your ankles might be leaning in towards each other instead of standing up straight. If you can stand up straight on the flats, eventually you can use both your inside and outside edges. If you're always on inside edges, it will be hard to get to the outsides.

These are really better questions for Nick, though. That's why you're taking lessons!

Skittl1321

True. I think I'm on both outside Edges.
In that case you are rolling out. This may seem "easy to balance on your edges", but this is not a position you want to be in to skate. If you are on two feet on edges, one foot should be inside and one foot should be outside.

Since you are rolling out, you need to practice your ankle strength to hold your skates on the flats. Once you can do that you can then work on edges.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer you *should* be on an edge to do the best glide. But there is a difference between being on an edge because you are balanced over the edge, and being on an edge because your ankles are rolling in or out.

If you are on two feet and both of your edges are outside edges, it's going to be hard to glide very far, because your ankles are not in line with the rest of your body. And you're going to feel very unstable and wobbly. The same if you're on two feet and both of your edges are inside edges.

When you are learning to glide on two feet, it's better to do that on a flat at first. That helps you learn how it feels to be balanced over your skates. When you are confident doing that, then you can learn how to glide on a flat on one foot, and then learn how to glide on the edge.

ETA: added some words to be clearer in the first sentence

Last edited:

Clarice

Sounds like skittl nailed it! You generally don't want to be on both outside edges at the same time. It's really important to be able to balance on the flats. Listen to your coach! He sees you skate and knows best what you need to work on.

Skittl1321

@FSWer you *should* be on an edge to glide. But there is a difference between being on an edge because you are balanced over the edge, and being on an edge because your ankles are rolling in or out.

Overedge, I know you know this, but I think maybe it didn't come across right when you typed -should-. You don't need to be on an edge to glide; you can glide on a flat just as well as either edge. It is just as valid of a movement.

But FSWer, if you are on two feet, rolling out- you have almost no chance at gliding. Being on two outside edges, the edges are going to fight each other to go opposite directions (one to the right, one to the left) and you won't go anywhere. If you are on one foot and getting your edge by rolling out instead of by properly leaning into the edge, your balance isn't going to be good and again, you won't be gliding for long.

Nick will help you with all these things.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Overedge, I know you know this, but I think maybe it didn't come across right when you typed -should-. You don't need to be on an edge to glide; you can glide on a flat just as well as either edge. It is just as valid of a movement.

Yes, thanks for making that clearer. I went back and fixed my original post. I meant that to get the best glide you should be on an edge, not that you couldn't glide at all if you weren't on an edge.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer this is something that your coach should be able to help you with. It's hard for us to explain without being able to see what you are doing, and it's hard to describe in words without being able to show you in person. Tell your coach what you have told us, and ask him to show you the right way to glide on a flat and to glide on an edge.

Skittl1321

Why does it seem like the only way I can glide IS on an Edge?

I agree with overedge-you need to work with Nick on this. This is also why you need to try to go to the rink between lessons to practice on your own. I know your staff has to take you to lessons, but are you able to ride public transportation on your own? We have a special needs skater at our rink, and she can ride the bus- so she comes every Sunday to practice.

But likely it is because your ankle strength is not strong enough to control where your blades are. If your feet are rolling out your gliding is probably very short- for instance, I'm guessing you can't glide from the wall to the center of the rink yet with just one push. If you work on not rolling out and controlling your blades, your gliding will become longer. If you are skating on two feet on both outside edges, as opposed to one outside edge and one inside edge; or flat- you aren't in a position that skating happens in.

Last edited:

Shyjosie

I second everything overedge and Skittl1321 are saying here. Let me add one thing: let your coach have a close look at your skates, the boots as well as the blades. The boots should fit well and be of a firm and good material, as they should hold your feet and give them support. Your coach will be able to tell if your boots are good and if your blades are well sharpened.

Kecasyl

Overedge has explained in detail again to you. But if you still don't understand then my suggestion for part of a lesson for you with Nick, is to ask him to describe to you what really being on one edge or another means and what it means to be on a flat. That way he can show you and it will hopefully make more sense to you. Have fun, I am excited to hear about your future lessons!

Like I said a page back and I re-quoted here^ This is something you need to talk to Nick about and have him show you, because then it may make more sense if you can see in person what he is talking about instead of descriptions on a web forum. Good luck!

FSWer

Ok my Friends...here's my report from today's Skate...2/18/17. My Staff dropped me off at Newington Arena and I met Nick in the Blue Rink. He worked with me on Swissles (sorry if I spelled that wong), as well as a one-Foot-Glide,(LOL. I seem to do better with that holding onto somebody). He also worked on marching with me,as well as being strieght with my body. Towards the end Nick had me do a few 2-Foot Spins. I must tell you all that I had to take a couple of rest at Rinkside, because my Legs were stiff. I must also say too,that I...CAN'T..WAIT .....to get to the GOOD STUFF!!!! LOL. if you all know I mean? LOL.!!!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm glad your lesson went so well, FSWer!

One foot glides are always easier when you're holding onto someone, but the trick is to do them alone :) It will take lots of time and patience.

Clarice

I must also say too,that I...CAN'T..WAIT .....to get to the GOOD STUFF!!!! LOL. if you all know I mean? LOL.!!!

Patience, my friend! You need to master the basics, or you won't be able to do any of the good stuff! It sounds like Nick knows exactly what you need to be doing in order to improve. I'm glad you were able to find a good coach!

FSWer

I'm glad your lesson went so well, FSWer!

One foot glides are always easier when you're holding onto someone, but the trick is to do them alone :) It will take lots of time and patience.

What is the trick to standing on one foot alone?

FSWer

Patience, my friend! You need to master the basics, or you won't be able to do any of the good stuff! It sounds like Nick knows exactly what you need to be doing in order to improve. I'm glad you were able to find a good coach!

Awwwwwww,thank you my Friend.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer it sounds like you had a good lesson. But don't forget, like @Clarice says, that you need to be able to do the basic stuff to be able to do the good stuff. What you are doing now may seem simple and not like what you see ice dancers do on TV. But every one of those skaters learned what you are learning right now.

You can practice standing on one foot at home. That will help you learn how to balance, and that will then help you when you try to stand on one foot on the ice. When you're on one foot on the ice, it's also important to stand up straight, like Nick said - and keep the foot that's off the ice right next to your other leg, to help you stay balanced.

Last edited:

Skittl1321

FSWer, what you're currently lerning is good stuff! You can't go without gliding, balancing, swizzles. A simple glide on one foot, carried out gracefully with a good posture, looks great.

Keep it coming, you're on your way!

One of the things I am amused at is when I see elite skaters on TV do things I can do. "Backwards swizzle!!!!" They stick the very basics in there a lot of the time.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
One of the things I am amused at is when I see elite skaters on TV do things I can do. "Backwards swizzle!!!!" They stick the very basics in there a lot of the time.
True!!! Plenty of skaters start a program with a "dramatic" swizzle. I'm like "Hey, I can do that!"

Be patient, and get in as much practice as you can. The more time you're on the ice the better you'll get!

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
FSWer - totally agree with Shyjosie and everyone here. ALL OF SKATING is the GOOD STUFF!!! You know that I've had to pretty much start over with my switch to dance boots and blades. While I want to do more serious ice dancing in the future, including testing dances and maybe competing again, my goal right now is to work on my basic skating and ice dance skills with my new skates and become the best skater I can be at all these things. The rest of it can come later. It's most important that I get a good skating foundation of these basic skills down first. If that takes months or even years, it will still be worth it. And it's FUN to work on these skills! No matter what I do on the ice, even when I get frustrated, I remind myself I'm having fun. And that makes it all worthwhile!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information