Recent content by treesprite

1. treesprite

Practice Thread

I was checking every day, wondering where everyone is but having nothing to post. Im still not doing any more than guard skating when working, because as the edges started to wear after getting the big nick out (the one that made me break my wrist), a bit of the nick showed up again and I was...
  2. treesprite

Practice Thread

I finally got the wrist-breaking nick in my blade fixed, so I can skate again. I was out of town for a week, then had some stupid work training thing this week, so other than rink guarding twice, my first real time to be skating will probably be this coming Tuesday. My posture and knee bend went...
  3. treesprite

Practice Thread

I finally got the wrist-breaking nick in my blade fixed, so I can skate again. I was out of town for a week, then had some stupid work training thing this week, so other than rink guarding twice, my first real time to be skating will probably be this coming Tuesday. My posture and knee bend went...
  4. treesprite

Practice Thread

I hope it feels better soon.
  5. treesprite

Practice Thread

Good luck!
  6. treesprite

Practice Thread

First time I went to skate after injury, my left blade was dragging and "sticking". I looked at the blade and discovered a big nick, right in the spot where I can't avoid skating on it. I guess it is from whatever made me fall. Either way, I now don't want to risk skating until it is fixed. I...
  7. treesprite

wrist guards specifically meant for ice?

Thank you so much for writing all that out. I am going to look into the guards mentions, and consider the velceo suggestion.
  8. treesprite

Practice Thread

I decided not to skate until my cast is off in a couple weeks, so no practice for me. Something interesting happened at my appointment. My doctor had an emergency, and the person filling in was a USFS medical advisor. My orthopedist doesn't know anything about skating, and has not had a...
  9. treesprite

Roller skating wrist guards do not fly out from under people on concrete and wood. They were designed for those ground surfaces. If the surface is different, then the wrist guard needs to be adapted so the science matches the ground surface. Some more research I read says air cell guards are...
  10. treesprite

The problem is with the hard part of the guard sliding out on impact. Person hurts shoulder or hits head because the hand is not there where it would be expected to be if the fall was on dry land. The guards are meant to give a little slide on dry land, but still not go flying out from under a...
  11. treesprite

I read a kind of research article yesterday that explained why those types of guards are not safe (can't remember the name and didn't save the link) for use on a frictionless surface (ice). The article said they are trying to develop a wrist guard that grips the ice, specifically for ice...
  12. treesprite

I really don't want to have a third wrist break. I used wrist guards after the last broken wrist, but a coach warned me about the injuries they can cause due to sliding on the ice (for example, pulling out a shoulder). Are there actually wrist guards made specifically for ice skating, that are...
  13. treesprite

Practice Thread

Do you have backup skates? It is probabaly going to be at least a month before you see the new ones again, after you leave them at the shop.
  14. treesprite

Practice Thread

I have never heard of a spin like that being called an Arabian. The only "Arabian" maneuver in skating I have ever hear of, is a maneuver that is usually used as a flying entry into a spin.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information