Recent content by ssminnow

1. S

Pairs Discussion Thread 2018-19--"Two Skating as One"

I imagine Sui has tremendous core strength that allows her to hold herself well. I will say that as she's matured, their twist isn't as high as it used to be, but IMO they more than make up for it in the increasingly explosive power that they project on the ice.
  2. S

Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

If this season so far is any indication, they can be seriously competitive with just a double axle. I've always wondered, why don't teams with less-than-reliable sbs triples just plan for the 2a? There are so many pairs elements, with sbs jumps making up a relatively small amount of base...
  3. S

U.S. Ladies [#21]: Wrapped Up with a Neat Little BOW

Any kind of criticism is "trollish", apparently.
  4. S

2 world medals in the last 5 years is still not dominating. 1 serious medal contender and 1 darkhorse medal contender is not dominating. There is a difference between "dominating" and "nothing to sneeze at".
  5. S

Canada has had a total of 4 ladies world championship medals in the last 30 years. That is hardly dominating.
  6. S

Is Canada dominating?
  7. S

With the post-2002 judging system, American ladies can't get away with bad technique anymore. Other than Gracie, who has had her share of other struggles, who was the last American lady with truly great technique anyway? Also, cruel as it sounds, it's not a coincidence that women's figure...
  8. S

Sui/Han Olympic Silver Medalists

Such classy comments from Han.
  9. S

Best Oscar nominated picture, in Your opinion?

I've seen Dunkirk, Get Out, Lady Bird, and Three Billboards. Quite frankly I find last year to be a very weak year in movies. Of these, my favorite is Get Out, by a mile. It has a focused theme that screenplay, directing, and acting, and editing all delivered tautly on. There is nothing...
  10. S

Could Gracie Gold have been a 5 time World and 2 time Olympic Champion

Undoubtedly Gracie would have been more successful if she competed more like she practiced, but with or without her jumps she is neither artistic nor charismatic on ice. She may still have won a WS here or there but tepid skaters don't *dominate* entire eras.
  11. S

Could Gracie Gold have been a 5 time World and 2 time Olympic Champion

I'm going to go with no, because even if Gracie was the most technically gifted skater of her generation, she never had that "it" factor IMO like Michelle or Yu-Na.
  12. S

2018 Oscar Nominations

I think Get Out was the best movie of the year. However, Daniel Kaluuya gave a rather average performance and his nomination really should have gone to James Franco. On the actress side, Streep's nomination should have gone to Chastain.
  13. S

From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

Watching Euros today, Zagitova and Medvedeva are such amazing competitors and technical skaters, but they don't finish their moves and have at best superficial connections to music. It made me think: why is it that Russian single ladies' skaters don't have the great carriage and skating skills...
  14. S

Are Evgenia & Alina the "Michelle & Tara" of 2018?

Michelle and even Tara were much more complete skaters than Evgenia and Alina currently are.
  15. S

What will Pairs field look like in 2018-19?

At this point Zhang continuing is only holding Chinese pairs skating back. One of the country's pair spots will go to him whether deserved or not, and the lovely Yu cannot reach her true potential with him.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information