Recent content by jl22aries

1. J

Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

I'd also go see both if possible. Knives Out was so fun and energetic. It's a legit well done movie, and also one of the rare original stories out and about right now. It's important to support these movies so that more can be made, before Disney buys everything :) I love the 1994 version of...
  2. J

Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

Another YES re: Little Women. I saw it for a second time yesterday. The audience clapped at the end. It was not an arthouse theatre. This was standard Cineplex big box vibes, and we were moved to this formality and it was wonderful!!
  3. J

Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Little Women was SO WONDERFUL. I cannot stop thinking about this film.
  4. J

I also really enjoyed Brittany Runs a Marathon. Jillian Bell is wonderful as the lead. It must have been challenging creating a story centred on the 'makeover/weight-loss transformation of girl to woman' thing that isn't tone deaf, harmful or reductive. I thought the creators did a wonderful job...
  5. J

That was not a funeral in The Farewell. That was the family paying their respects to their deceased ancestor. The movie wasn't about a wedding so it felt to me like a wise choice to skip the ceremony and go straight to the reception to focus on the interactions between the guests and the...
  6. J

I saw The Farewell and I LOVED it. If it's a story you're curious about, I would encourage a theatre view. I saw it in a packed house theatre and the audience was one of the most responsive, generous and enthusiastic crowds I've been a part of. The story is written, directed, made by and for...
  7. J

Aussie Willy heading to Canada

I'll be coming straight from a commitment at 7pm...may be 20 minutes late but I plan to be there :)
  8. J

I enjoyed a super fun time at John Wick 3. The movie is all camp and fantasy. A fun nod to classic Hong Kong kung fu movies, with great respect to the legacy of the work of stunt people and talented fight choreographers. The set pieces are gorgeous. The fights are choreographed with a dance-like...
  9. J

Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

https://youtu.be/ghpSTo-5S4s?t=50
  10. J

The Skating Lesson 2018/2019

If they need to take a break or draw a boundary in order to practice self care, I hope the community around them can respond with compassion and support. We can all imagine the mental toll of "heat" from the world. It ain't easy getting through the days. Everyone has different boundaries. It's...
  11. J

The Skating Lesson 2018/2019

Celebrities have direct relationships with TMX/Perez Hilton types. It's a very evolved ecosystem. Let's reconsider calling Jonathan delusional. Even if you disagree with him.
  12. J

Recommended books for pre-teen

Oh my gosh you folks all rock! So many fantastic ideas. Have any folks read or know a young person who has read "Ms Marvel"? is this graphic novel a little too mature for a pre teen? Even if she is quite mature. Or how about "Brown Girl Dreaming" by Jacqueline Woodson?
  13. J

Recommended books for pre-teen

Hi all. Curious if folks have any recommendations for books that might appeal to a very mature, smart 9 year old. She's a prolific reader, and has the most diverse interests, she dabbles in all the sports, and also is into ballet and musical theatre, and dressing up. Thanks for any recos!
  14. J

Papadakis/Cizeron #7 - A Matter of Confidentiality

Whoa this thread is something. I'm really excited to see PC embark on their new season. They are rare talents.
  15. J

Re: Rebel Wilson's film promoting efforts ... Oh Rebel: https://www.laineygossip.com/rebel-wilson-doubles-down-on-her-ignorant-statement-about-plus-sized-rom-com-stars/51223
Do Not Sell My Personal Information