Recent content by J-Ro

1. J

Music when we were young

Any city can give itself a slogan. Music is ALL Austin has whereas in Boston, it's an underrated part of the culture which has much, much richer cultural and historical landscape that overshadows the music. I've been to Austin many times. I am a bit disappointed in their music scene because I...
  2. J

Music when we were young

Except he really DID mean no religion. He was a self-described atheist.
  3. J

Music when we were young

That's not oldies!!!!
  4. J

Music when we were young

I think Don Henley is a brilliant lyricist. "The Last Resort" is number one on my list for best lyrics ever. He was an English major in college; it really comes out in that song. (But you have to know your American history and be familiar with current events, too, in order to fully grasp its...
  5. J

Music when we were young

I have eclectic early-life music experiences. I was born in 1966 to a mother who had (and still has) every original Beatles album. Some of my earliest musical memories were of the Beatles and other '60s music such as Simon and Garfunkel, Peter, Paul & Mary, and the Mama and the Papas. Meanwhile...
  6. J

RIP Cecil

This. ^ There are many wrongs going on in the world. We must look at all of them. We do not choose. Most people who are against animal cruelty and abuse (and that's what the killing of Cecil was) are against cruelty and abuse of all kinds. It's not an either/or situation.
  7. J

RIP Cecil

In two days, the petition to the White House requesting the extradition of Palmer has hit almost double the required amount. This speaks volumes about how we view our relationship to wildlife. Cecil's murder is about much more than one person killing a lion. It is about how we view ourselves in...
  8. J

RIP Cecil

Zimbabwe is calling for extradition. Apparently the US CAN extradite a person to Zimbabwe if the penalty is more than one year in prison. Poaching carries a 10-year sentence. And you know darn well that Palmer knew what he was doing. He's a coward for killing the way he did.
  9. J

What do I wear? (Electric Boogaloo)

This is why they invented flats. Sneakers with professional attire, unless someone stole your shoes at the gym, is a no.
  10. J

My point about the suit is that a suit does not need to be uptight and frumpy. It can be fun with funky colors, shoes, and accessories. That aside, here's another idea: a wrap dress (or faux wrap dress), which looks good on every body type, and a complementary cardigan with nice shoes.
  11. J

Oh, dear, no. The styles have changed completely. If you take the shoulder pads out, then the jacket won't hang right. Unless you're a tailor, trying to recycle 30-year old clothes is probably a fail.
  12. J

This is where the "homework" part comes in, as someone else suggested. You can look put-together without being obsessive about it.
  13. J

Right. But when clothes of any style fit properly, they are not uncomfortable. And for the most part, self-expression with respect to clothing is limited at a job. What you wear on and off the job are two different things. It is indeed possible to express your own style within a dress code. You...
  14. J

But those are out of style and 30 years old. There are updated matching suits in a variety of styles and colors. You can't just say no to the idea of a suit based on the Joan Collins look of the '80s. Look at modern suits. They are completely different.
  15. J

Exactly. But you can still look appropriate without breaking the bank or looking cheap. And yes, homework is key.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information