Recent content by geoskate

1. G

Canadian figure skating

I agree. I was very pleasantly surprised by how well they did. They both were excellent at providing the technical analysis for programs right after the program was skated, too. Kirsten, in particular, had clearly done a huge amount of homework, and could explain how levels were derived...
  2. G

2022–23 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

Congratulations to Fournier- Beaudry/Soerensen on setting ISU personal bests in rhythm dance, free dance and overall! The new personal bests are already up on the ISU website. Lajoie/Lagha set an ISU personal best in the free dance.
  3. G

It could happen. She is superb, and he is also superb - and they appear to know how to handle pressure and skate consistently. And then, the drama from certain posters . . . but probably Bashynska/Beamount's rise won't happen quite that quickly, so perhaps the posters are safe for a year or two.
  4. G

I'm not an ice dance expert, but what I saw in their programs was a precision that should be seen in a truly top dance team. It has been there in the past, but not to the same extent, and it was especially evident in Piper's movements. Everything had been thought through and refined to...
  5. G

Really? No comments about what happened at NHK this weekend? Interesting.
  6. G

2020-21 Canadian Men News & Updates

No idea, but an aside - I actually wish more skaters would do this. Even if they did have to use editting of more than one take to put together an overall clean skate, the result would give us the opportunity to see programs that were never skated cleanly in competition as they were meant to...
  7. G

Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

Re: Je Voudrais voir la mer, thanks to Alvyne for linking the other versions! They are more powerful than the original, and I think would have more impact in the arena. I particularly liked the Sylvie Tremplay version, since she has quite a powerful voice, and her version has a bit more of a...
  8. G

Lubov Ilyushechkina and Charlie Bilodeau Cheer Thread

They are much better than I expected at this point, with surprisingly good matching on their stroking for such a new team. IMO they are a great match. Lubov is helping to make Charlie into an elegant skater, something I did not think was possible. Very early days yet . . . but I am encouraged.
  9. G

WEAVER AND POJE: The Future is Golden

Yes, I noticed that. I had looked at the detailed marks just to see what the different judges were thinking about the different teams, and to look at how their personalities came through. Some marked consistently high, some consistently low, but I think most of the judges could defend their...
  10. G

Finnish skating news, 2018 onwards

Looking at the European results . . . three spots for the Finnish women at next years' Europeans. Great, and Congratulations to them!!! And it looks like, barring injury, there will be deserving skaters to use those spots.
  11. G

WEAVER AND POJE: The Future is Golden

Beautiful in both programs - and amazing that they could skate so well under the pressure of G/P's marks. The old Andrew would have crumbled in a situation like that. Well done!
  12. G

You Go...GOGO - Stephen Gogolev Fan Thread

Congratulations to Stephen on his silver. For me this was the perfect placement - it shows he's being taken seriously, but he has things he has to work on. (His jumping prowess helped enormously in being taken seriously, of course). What impressed me the most was his ability to handle the...
  13. G

Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

I agree with this. Junior pairs (and other skaters) are already good enough that they are interesting to watch, but it's not obvious yet whether or not they will ultimately succeed in their goals. It's fascinating to watch the progression from year to year, to see how their skating changes...
  14. G

Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Agreed, especially about the match - they already look as if they were meant to skate together. It was very surprising to me that such a new team could match styles so successfully. They also both have very good power, which should make them an exciting team to watch once they have more...
  15. G

Canadian Men 2018-19 season news & updates

Thanks for posting the information, Sylvia. It seems like a good move for him. He's a very enjoyable skater to watch, but without a triple axel and at least one quad he won't get on the Canadian national team - and those two jumps seemed to be elusive for him. This way he will get to compete...
Do Not Sell My Personal Information