Recent content by Ania

1. Ania

Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Why? I'm not @mag but I struggle to understand your response. Care to elaborate? I have never bought Vogue in my life, but I'm also looking forward to this issue. Is there something you find problematic in this?
  2. Ania

Pennsylvania recommendations? (central Penn)

This would be my choice # 1 for things to do between Philly and Pittsburgh. There are lots of hiking and other outdoor opportunities in the area (which is the Ohiopyle State park: https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/OhiopyleStatePark/Pages/default.aspx) Bedford Springs resort and...
  3. Ania

Friendships with People with Completely Different POV's

Thank you @PRlady! I was told this when I moved to the U.S. but have not felt the pull in this direction until recently. Was just trying to explain what I meant by 'wrong half Jew'. I'm an atheist. Nearly all of the population of the Former Soviet Union was atheists when I was growing up...
  4. Ania

@AxelAnnie, sorry, I did not mean to be cryptic. I grew up in the former Soviet Union with a Russian mother and a Jewish father. Growing up, I was often reminded that for Russians descent was traced through the paternal line, and for Russians I was a Jew; but for Jewish people descent was traced...
  5. Ania

I truly appreciate and respect this perspective. But I draw a distinction that is important to me. Let me explain (I'll get back to this point). For a while I have been thinking a lot about Nazi Germany (I'm 'wrong half' Jew, so this topic is salient to me). In Nazi Germany, most people did not...
  6. Ania

Mass Murder at Pittsburgh Synagogue

He was, you can read here about the list of people who asked him to delay his visit and a long list of officials from both parties who refuse to join him for a photo op on the day the families are burying the victims: "So far, numerous Pittsburgh officials, mourners, and major U.S. politicians...
  7. Ania

What on earth are you talking about? The hate crime happened in Pittsburgh, not Philadelphia. Clinton overwhelmingly won both cities. The families of the victims asked him not to come. The mayor of Pittsburgh asked him to delay the visit until after the funerals (because the city's resources...
  8. Ania

I think the accusation of 'invasion of privacy' was absurd. It was an invitation to a discussion. Like any other invitation it can be ignored or declined (without insults).
  9. Ania

Would you care to hear opinions of those close to the victims, opinions of my community that has been devastated by this hate crime? Letter to President Trump from Pittsburgh Jewish Leaders "... Our Jewish community is not the only group you have targeted. You have also deliberately undermined...
  10. Ania

Arguments would be more impressive than snide knee-jerk comments.
  11. Ania

I keep finding out that I'm 1 degree of separation from most of the people who died. My friends and colleagues lost loved ones. This still feels surreal. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Our hearts are broken but our spirit is not.
  12. Ania

I am also a Soviet immigrant. Thank you for posting.
  13. Ania

My family is safe but devastated. We live in this neighborhood. My parents walk there, my colleagues belong to this congregation, my kids went to music classes there when they were little, I gave a talk there last fall. I am devastated for everyone who was directly affected by this act of...
  14. Ania

Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Stolbova

Indeed! :) I actually thought your post was in reply to mine. I am pretty neutral on S/K (I like pairs in general, and I liked S/K, but I did not love them and did not feel invested in that pair as a fan). But after I read Fedor's interview I felt that it raised more questions that it answered...
  15. Ania

Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Stolbova

Wow. Very honest and raw. If her comments are truthful (and I have no reason to suspect otherwise), Fedor's recent interview can be described as being misleading by omission - in his comments there was not a hint that the split was his decision and not hers, and I (and I venture others) got the...
Do Not Sell My Personal Information