Recent content by aka_gerbil

1. A

Save Women's Sport - the pearl clutching begins

They do have an extensive, searchable database where they rank swimmers by time in each distance and event. https://www.usaswimming.org/times/otherorganizations/ncaa-division-i It’s kind of like the seasons best list for skating. They don’t have an overall ranking, but they very much rank...
  2. A

Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

I can write letters and organize petitions all day, but I’m 100% sure no one in the ISU is listening to random skating fan who doesn’t even skate recreationally. Quick trip to the circular file….
  3. A

I personally know refugees from one of those countries, and given their description of the destruction and the havoc it has caused, yes. Just the latest acts in a long, long history of the US doing horrible things.
  4. A

I do agree with the idea that if the ISU is going to have these rules, then they should be applied to all feds. It should not matter if it’s not a big important fed or even if they don’t have any active participants going to competitions. If you’re going to have a rule, apply it to everyone...
  5. A

This is probably more a thought for PI since it actually has not much to do with skating, but I have wondered if it had instead been China invading Taiwan if we would have seen the same severity in sanctions given how dependent the US (and elsewhere) is on China for cheap manufactured goods.
  6. A

ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

China’s treatment of the Muslim Uyghurs is a pretty destabilizing situation for that population. If not covered by the current proposal, isu should think about adding on to include human rights abuses.
  7. A

ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

So, would/will/could this new rule also be applied to countries committing human rights abuses? cough*cough*China*cough*cough
  8. A

The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

There were qualifying/preliminary rounds for dance at worlds in 2011 and 2012. Pairs had one in 2012.
  9. A

I would be surprised too if she didn’t have Russian citizenship for as long she’s lived there. I think the question is does she also have citizenship in Georgia. Right, but she was 17 when the USSR dissolved, so she could have been living elsewhere at the time and not in what is now Russia. I...
  10. A

My question is how was citizenship decided when the USSR dissolved? I feel that’s different than birthright or not citizenship when you’re born in a city in a country but then that country ceases to exist later. Eteri was born in Moscow, so was born a Soviet citizen. But, where was the family...
  11. A

She was born in Moscow when it was the USSR. One of her parents is (was?) Georgian. I’m guessing citizenship depends on where they were living when the Soviet Union collapsed?
  12. A

The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

These women are all built so differently. Madi Hubbell and Tessa Virtue in person don’t have an ounce of fat on them. If they tried to be waifs, it would be losing muscle mass. I really hope that Krylova isn’t giving these comments to her own teen daughter.
  13. A

U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

Every skater has a different trajectory. Hanyu won on his first trip. Kurt Browning made 3 and never won an Olympic medal. If Ilia is as good as everyone says, not being in Beijing won’t matter in 2026. And even if he doesn’t win then, maybe that means skating until 2030 and getting to enjoy a...
  14. A

DB Sweeney and "Toe Pick"

That was lovely. I’m also 🤯 that it’s been 30 years. I remember seeing the promo on tv and begging my mom to go take me to see it at the movie theater.
  15. A

"Trash can" forum

I can see it too. Did you accidentally put it on ignore?
Do Not Sell My Personal Information