U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Adorable! Also didn't realize Jason was the shortest of the three, he looks so tall on the ice!

Pretty sure that's just the way Jason's standing in this picture; he's taller than Max (not that that's hard) and almost the same height as Joshua.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Pretty sure that's just the way Jason's standing in this picture; he's taller than Max (not that that's hard) and almost the same height as Joshua.

You're probably right, but I also think it speaks to Jason's amazing extension and stretch on the ice, it makes everything look long and elegant. A lot of commentators seem to have the same impression too.

Sylvia

TBD
Looks like Adam Rippon performed part of his "Diamonds" (by Josef Salvat) program from Stars on Ice around 9:30 on the Today Show - here's a clip incl. 3F: https://www.instagram.com/p/BS_P9Rfjyt4/

No slowing down for Jordan Moeller (new article): http://figureskatersonline.com/news...ordan-moeller-as-he-prepares-for-annual-show/
Moeller's annual "One Step at a Time" benefit show will return to the Southwest Ice Arena in Crestwood, Illinois, on Saturday, April 29 at 7 pm. and men scheduled to perform with him include Timothy Dolensky and Tomoki Hiwatashi. Excerpt re. his 2017-18 programs:
Moeller said he has begun brainstorming and working with Rohene Ward to figure out his programs for this upcoming season. Moeller said he has started a new short program with Ward to the piece called “Tribal Gathering” performed by violinist Vanessa-Mae.
“It is going to be pretty exciting,” Moeller said, about his new short program.
As of right now, Moeller said he is planning to keep his Romeo and Juliet free skate from this past season so he can continue working and growing it.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I mentioned in the MITF forum that Jordan Moeller (according to the article linked above) is following Alex Johnson's example and ice dancing in adult qualifying competitions. :)

This 4/14/17 blog update from Alex Johnson is about his busy schedule in college and on the ice, plus he also shared that "Tom Dickson came in and worked with me for five days on two new pieces": http://figureskatersonline.com/alexanderjohnson/home/spring-ahead/

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Thx for the links @Sylvia ; so cool about the adult ice dancing. I remember seeing a post (IG? Skate 7k?) of Jordan ice dancing with a 7K coach, but at the time we thought it might have been just training for recovery from that scary injury.

Glad to see it's a "thing":saint: Jordan and Alex seem like very grounded young men. :respec:

Sylvia

TBD
Rachel Lutz interviewed Adam Rippon in NYC today: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/adam-rippon-ill-be-100-percent-when-it-counts
Excerpts:
Would you say that you’re at 100 percent?
I would say I’m about 75 [percent]. I still am limited in what I can do regarding my left foot. But I am skating every day. I’m doing flip, loop and Lutz. I still haven’t done an Axel, a Sal[chow] or a toe. I’m on the right track. Just being on the ice makes me feel confident that I’ll able to be at 100 percent very soon.
I’ve never taken more than maybe five or 10 days off, ever. In my whole life, ever since starting to skate. Taking three months off was definitely a humbling experience. But not having taken any of that time off for 17 years, I think maybe it was needed and necessary. I was able to deal with a few small injuries, little nagging things, and I was able to get a nice core base of strength because I had been doing all those strengthening exercises. I feel strong. I feel mature. I think being a little bit older and wiser, I know to be patient and take my time. I’m confident in what I need to get done and what I need to do. I’m confident that I’ll be in shape and 100 percent when it counts.
He confirmed he plans to keep his "Arrival of the Birds/Fly On" FS and will have a new short program.

ETA link to Rippon's 2-minute performance to "Diamonds" at the Rockefeller Center rink: https://vimeo.com/213518533

Last edited:

pairskatingfan

Glad Adam is getting a new short. Hope his recovery goes well. If he, Jason, Josh, Vincent, and Nathan all skate well, who knows who will make the olympic team!

misskarne

Yes, but I think Max will need quad toe and sal in order to be competitive. Hope he shows up in fight mode!

He's always landed the quad Sal at US Nationals and he had the toe in the FS plan for this year, too. My guess is that it was taken out after the SP because his confidence was shot. But I'd like it if he wasn't thrown on the trash heap just yet, thanks.

Marco

Yes, but I think Max will need quad toe and sal in order to be competitive. Hope he shows up in fight mode!

I think he will need more than that - maybe both in the short, and 2 of each in the free. He needs to clearly outjump everyone to have a shot against everyone.

I am interested to know how Joshua Farris' training is going. Hope the USFS sends him out to plenty fall competitions and to Skate America.

Spiralgraph

I'm glad Adam is keeping his LP. I loved it and I missed him skating it at Nationals. I hope everybody is healthy for next year's Nationals. It'd be great if everyone skated their best, just imagine the discussions here. lol

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Jammers

Glad Adam is getting a new short. Hope his recovery goes well. If he, Jason, Josh, Vincent, and Nathan all skate well, who knows who will make the olympic team!
To be honest if all those skaters are clean Adam will have a hard time making the Olympic team. Nathan and Vincent will have a huge technical advantage over everyone and Jason and Josh probably won't need multiple quads to beat Adam either.

Marco

I predict only one of Jason or Adam will make it to PC and it will likely depend on who is more consistent with the quad over the whole season including at Nationals.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I predict only one of Jason or Adam will make it to PC and it will likely depend on who is more consistent with the quad over the whole season including at Nationals.

So Nathan, Vincent and one of them?

I am very curious to see how Joshua does.. He has the PCS for sure.. want to see how his technical side is holding up!!!!!!!

misskarne

I'll be interested to see the PCS inflations - or excessive amounts of for some, and lack thereof for others.

misskarne

I want it to be Max, Joshua and Jason, which will come as a surprise to no-one, I'm sure.

ilovepaydays

I could see Alex Johnson and/or Tim Dolensky also sneaking into that final flight.

The GP/Senior B competitions this fall are going to be critical if your name isn't Nathan Chen.

misskarne

As nice as this sounds, unless Nathan has a season long meltdown of Gracie Gold proportions, he's basically already in.

Ice is slippery and stranger things have happened. No-one should be a "lock".

As far as I'm concerned there are three spots up for grabs and in spite of everyone's insistence at throwing him on the trash heap, Max is well in with a shot at one of them. So is Joshua. So is Jason.

skateboy

I think you may be right but, more than likely, the selection will heavily depend on how the US contenders do in all the competitions leading up to Nationals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information