Shibutanis thread 3: Evolution

yurokis40

Shibs are fighting for bronze like a bunch of other teams I think its a straight 2 way fight for gold and silver between V&M and P&C from now till the Olympics , the shibs might have a chance in the sd if the French make mistakes but V&M I think are unreachable.

Jessica

I don´t know, D/W are the flashy type of skaters, precisely what VIETgrlTerifa was saying, teams making to judges/people to believe that they are doing a difficult thing while it is not true.

That's your opinion (which you didn't state). I would appreciate it if I can come to the Shibs thread without seeing D/W trashed. I've had to read it since 2011 from the V/M ubers. Please don't bring it here. Many Shib fans are also D/W fans.

Last edited:

chapis

That's your opinion (which you didn't state). I would appreciate it if I can come to the Shibs thread without seeing D/W trashed. I've had to read it since 2011 from the V/M urbers. Please don't bring it here. Many Shib fans are also D/W fans.

Well, I am not really interesed in D/W, especially because they are not competing, it is just the topic came up. I just will add ¨that is my opinion¨.

clairecloutier

I really liked the Shibs' SD last night. Although it wasn't their highest score, it's my favorite performance so far of this program. What impressed me most was how they kept right on the rhythm with their moves, especially in the second half. I feel like the vocal layering in the second half kind of obscures the beat somewhat, but the Shibs kept on rhythm last night and it was great, I thought. They really performed the dance with a lot of panache and, as Charlie said on NBCSN, "swagger."

I am eager to see what changes they've made in the FD.

VGThuy

I was thinking about the SD, if the Shibs could put more moves like they're doing here and here, I think their hip hop would reach more skeptics. Maia really can dance, and I'd like to see more of that on the ice.

suki

Shibs are fighting for bronze like a bunch of other teams I think its a straight 2 way fight for gold and silver between V&M and P&C from now till the Olympics , the shibs might have a chance in the sd if the French make mistakes but V&M I think are unreachable.

I remember back in 1994 at the Lillehammer Olympics everyone said it was a two-way race for the gold between defending World champions (and Olympic Bronze medalists from 1992) Usova/Zhulin and reinstated Torvill/Dean. So which couple took home the gold? The answer is none of the above. Gritchuck (sp?)/Platov ended up winning the whole darn thing.

arakwafan2006

I remember back in 1994 at the Lillehammer Olympics everyone said it was a two-way race for the gold between defending World champions (and Olympic Bronze medalists from 1992) Usova/Zhulin and reinstated Torvill/Dean. So which couple took home the gold? The answer is none of the above. Gritchuck (sp?)/Platov ended up winning the whole darn thing.

First of all, if you have to go all the way back to 1994 to " remember " that, there's a reason. Second , the you're arguing a popularity contest judging system vs a points based one. I don't think your example even fits the scenario and as far as the past couple years go, papadakis/Cizeron have been unbeatable until Virtue and Moir came along. It's safe to say the trajectory for gold sees two teams.

VGThuy

First of all, if you have to go all the way back to 1994 to " remember " that, there's a reason. Second , the you're arguing a popularity contest judging system vs a points based one. I don't think your example even fits the scenario and as far as the past couple years go, papadakis/Cizeron have been unbeatable until Virtue and Moir came along. It's safe to say the trajectory for gold sees two teams.

Trends can be broken, and very analytical people have been wrong before. Longshots can happen. They don't happen often and they seem inconceivable beforehand, but that's why they're longshots and "miracle" wins.

chapis

I was thinking about the SD, if the Shibs could put more moves like they're doing here and here, I think their hip hop would reach more skeptics. Maia really can dance, and I'd like to see more of that on the ice.

Yeessss!!!! I don´t understand why they are not dancing like that in their SD. I repeat, this part https://youtu.be/2ivISwC0gWI?t=124 has all the potential to add different moves. Maybe they had troubles to find moves that fit with the lyrics of the song. But I am not sure they must spend time fixing the SD when the FD is more criticized.

suki

Sorry to go off-topic, but you missed the point. If you follow the logic that the medals were awarded based on "popularity" rather than the oh-so-impartial current point-based system, then U/Z or T/D would have won. Instead, the judges actually judged what was put on the ice and awarded the FD to G/P, which pushed them to the top of the podium. This was not a "popular" decision at all. I agree that there may have been some backroom politics involved, and the race was close among the three teams, but ultimately, the judges awarded it to G/P. Ice is slippery and ice dancing judges are fickle and can turn on a dime.

VGThuy

I love their reaction in the KnC after receiving their personal best score of 115+. They probably didn't think it'd happen for them considering how conservative their scores have been this season. I sound spoiled now when them hitting over a 102 at Skate Canada last season was a real victory and something they really needed after receiving a 91 at Nepela a month earlier. Speaking of, I'm getting a real 2015 Skate Canada vibe from this competition where they lost to Weaver/Poje, another Canadian team, but ended up feeling as if they truly won which was exactly what they needed to turn their career around. I hope I'm right about that.

chapis

Seems they were working really hard after nationals. They are risking everything, for example they are getting usually the best scores at twizzles , perfectly justified IMO seeing to the other teams, but they even increased the speed at this competition when I think it was not necessary to obtain the best score (at twizzles), I feel this just show us their preparation and confidence in their training. They fell during the warm up (I wonder what element) and this could to make them nervous, but they kept so calm like always, if they were nervous, they dissimulated it very well. And we all have seen what can happen when Alex get all excited during performances, but now Maia was totally risking it. I think they agreed that it was now or never, and the judges really appreciated it. I noticed too that despite they skating with more freedom they were hitting every note with their movements/elements/choreography, they are not just skating through the music, they are listening perfectly and skating to the music. And good news, people bashing them are looking for new arguments now, they are not saying they were slow or their skating was small.

Last edited:

Jessica

I couldn't stay up last night but of course this morning I had to sneak a look at the results. WOW was I surprised at their score. After watching it on TV, I can understand why. They were perfection, but the thing that pleased me most was how happy they were in the K&C even before their scores came up. They really laid it down.

Firedancer

The work they have done since nationals is evident and it is great to see it reflected in their scores. The larger separation between them and Chock and Bates is nice too. Today the program had more energy and emotion. The changes they made definitely worked. Hope this gives them momentum going into worlds.

douglasottawa

Banned Member

Well as long as those cheques from CSA keep coming in on time yeah I would have to agree. :D

douglasottawa

Banned Member
The work they have done since nationals is evident and it is great to see it reflected in their scores. The larger separation between them and Chock and Bates is nice too. Today the program had more energy and emotion. The changes they made definitely worked. Hope this gives them momentum going into worlds.

I am bummed Hubbell & Donohue lost to C&B again. I want H&D to take over from overrated Chock & Bates as U.S #2 and be the ones to start challening the Shibutanis in the U.S, not C&B. I guess Sphilband politics, and H&D training at a place which has like 3 teams over them.

ITA on the Shibutanis. The work they did since Nationals really shone through and their FD was much stronger here than there. I think losing the FD to C&B at Nationls was a good thing, as it served as a wake up call for them to fix some things that made the FD flow better, and to execute the elements more precisely.

SkateFanBerlin

Shibs are favorite ice dancers. But, I wonder what can get them closer to the top. One thing holding them back is the sibs thing. Lots of stuff they can't utilize. But, they could increase their connection during performance without crossing a line. I feel often they are doing amazing things together but lack intimacy. The second issue is Alex. Maia has grown into a beautiful, mature woman. Alex who is older is still broadcasting gee-whiz college kid vibe. I think the judges are looking for a leading man. The other top men have this - some are softer, but they project authority. Anyway, I'm a big fan. They are doing amazing work.

VGThuy

I sort of want Alex to work on his arabesque position. Like I said before, it's not bad now, but I find that Maia is holding back a bit on that. In this performance especially, Maia really took her arabesques further and made them into a highlight. I really wish Alex could match her because then I think they would be able to really utilize it in their footwork sequences and they could hold some striking positions in-between their elements. To me, that is what was striking about Michael Parsons. His extension and line is exquisite and matches Rachel's perfectly.

douglasottawa

Banned Member
What is CSA?

Canadian Skating Association. The same federation that is more corrupt than Russia, Japan, U.S put together, had Chan winning events with 4 falls over skaters virtually equal to him (eg- Takahashi) in 2011-2013, have Duhamel & Radford get +3s for one of the worst triple twists and chucked throws they barely land, and mid to high 9s in PCS, had Stojko getting 5.9s for artistic impression, and had Sale & Pelletier go on a long undefeated streak over better pairs like Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze despite Jamie missing a couple jumps almost every competition.

Also had the cheesetastic Bourne & Kraatz become World Champs, win a whopping 6 world medals, 2 GPF titles, and be one bad lift from an Olympic medal, so just imagine how unbeatable they can make truly dance team like Virtue & Moir who actualy probably deserve to win. Poor P&C and Shibs, facing a team who would be very hard to beat even to begin with, but have most powerful and corrupt federation in skating history behind them on top of that. Especialy since with Chan technically surpassed and unable to win at all barring problems from other guys they focus their investment behind scenes on V&M over Chan, unlike 2011-2014 quad where it was obviously the reverse.

Last edited:

chapis

Shibs are favorite ice dancers. But, I wonder what can get them closer to the top. One thing holding them back is the sibs thing. Lots of stuff they can't utilize. But, they could increase their connection during performance without crossing a line. I feel often they are doing amazing things together but lack intimacy. The second issue is Alex. Maia has grown into a beautiful, mature woman. Alex who is older is still broadcasting gee-whiz college kid vibe. I think the judges are looking for a leading man. The other top men have this - some are softer, but they project authority. Anyway, I'm a big fan. They are doing amazing work.

I remember some years ago all the hype was about Alex, and many people suggested he could get the top positions but with another partner, as they never considered seriously to get new partners I think they focused too much in Maia and forget about Alex, oops. And other posibility is that maybe Alex hold back himself a little to not overshadow to Maia, when I watch their performances, I get the vibe that he really wants her to be the star, because really I think he has the potential to be the male version of Elena I., but we know what happens with Elena and Ruslan, she does not know how to level with him, it is all about her. Same with Madison and Evan, though I think they are getting better.

suki

Canadian Skating Association. The same federation that is more corrupt than Russia, Japan, U.S put together, had Chan winning events with 4 falls over skaters virtually equal to him (eg- Takahashi) in 2011-2013, have Duhamel & Radford get +3s for one of the worst triple twists and chucked throws they barely land, and mid to high 9s in PCS, had Stojko getting 5.9s for artistic impression, and had Sale & Pelletier go on a long undefeated streak over better pairs like Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze despite Jamie missing a couple jumps almost every competition.

Also had the cheesetastic Bourne & Kraatz become World Champs, win a whopping 6 world medals, 2 GPF titles, and be one bad lift from an Olympic medal, so just imagine how unbeatable they can make truly dance team like Virtue & Moir who actualy probably deserve to win. Poor P&C and Shibs, facing a team who would be very hard to beat even to begin with, but have most powerful and corrupt federation in skating history behind them on top of that. Especialy since with Chan technically surpassed and unable to win at all barring problems from other guys they focus their investment behind scenes on V&M over Chan, unlike 2011-2014 quad where it was obviously the reverse.
Thanks. That's quite an indictment of CSA (not totally unwarranted, though :blocjudge). Given the options, I wonder if there will be more politicing for D/R or Katlyn O if she has a really good season and some of the Russian ladies falter (or go through ill-timed puberty).

chapis

And finally they become enough popular for the stupid youtube search put them like first option if I write Maia and...., some weeks ago it was Maia and Rudy, Maia and Nicole :rofl:. Now Maia and.... first option Alex Shibutani :respec:. Yes, I notice that kind of silly and useless things .

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

It hasn't been called CSA for a long time. Which makes me wonder, what part of Ottawa do you hail from?

VGThuy

I can't stop watching their FD here (I've rewatched a bunch of other dances from last night/this morning). I thought it was a wonderful competition for ice dance.

The way the Shibs performed "Evolution" at 4CC created an experience as if it was my first time seeing this program. It really felt like a re-birth. The changes from Nationals and the GP series were not as major as the "Fix You" changes were from Nepela to the GP series last season, but whatever small changes that occurred really changed this whole routine. Their performance of it was also light years better than they had ever performed this FD. I really am shocked that they had it in them. I hope it's a new phase for Alex and Maia where they hit a higher level.

Last edited:

chapis

I can't stop watching their FD here (I've always rewatched a bunch of other dances from last night/this morning). I thought it was a wonderful competition for ice dance.

The way the Shibs performed "Evolution" at 4CC created an experience as if it was my first time seeing this program. It really felt like a re-birth. The changes from Nationals and the GP series were not as major as the "Fix You" changes were from Nepela to the GP series last season, but whatever small changes that occurred really changed this whole routine. Their performance of it was also light years better than they had ever performed this FD. I really am shocked that they had it in them. I hope it's a new phase for Alex and Maia where they hit a higher level.

Me too, especially because the video of practices did not look so different. But this could not happen in a better moment, just one competition before worlds. I always got frustrated seeing them peak at nationals in previous seasons, better strategy this year, skaters neglecting 4cc should take note. And now we know why the nationals vlog took so long to be uploaded, they were getting ready and super focused for this competition, in fact Alex said it at instagram or facebook live but I did not take it so seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information