Davis and White #36: What a Wonderful World

Barbara Manatee

They aren't going on Today just for an announcement though, are they? I've been assuming they're going to skate.

As people were saying before...in light of how outspoken Charlie has become about politics (seriously, love reading his Twitter), I'd be completely amazed if they announced a comeback. They were so tightlipped about everything before Sochi, and if they wanted to come back to compete, I would expect that PR strategy to continue.
I'm not so sure. Charlie is feeling very strongly, and they've already got a gold medal. Besides, his tweets would likely be popular with all but the Russian judges. :blocjudge

Last edited:

mollymgr

I think they have made a Today show appearance pretty much every year for the last few years to skate. It seems like a standard thing. The AOL build thing has a clue- discuss the upcoming "Stars on Ice" tour. This suggests that the focus is SOI. It could be a standard Q&A type thing. They just did one for the Skating Gymnastics thing.

justtojoke

nuge

They're not coming back to competition. It's much too late in the game for that, plus they've had no time for training with all the shows they've done and will be doing.

They are trained .They've never stopped skating.I would love to see them back but I don't think they are going too:(

mollymgr

Reasons to come back to compete not in any particular order.

1) The cereal expired and they used up all the tissues
2) Finn wants to be Team USA mascot, DJ has been giving him a hard time
3) They want to relive that feeling of wanting to run away right before taking the ice
4) Charlie wants more followers after losing a few lately
5) They don't have enough frequent flyer miles
6) They need more Ralph Lauren to add to their ugly Christmas sweater collection
7) Charlie misses bleaching his hair
8) This is their only way to enjoy Pure Michigan as they get to stay home and train for months instead of days
9) Marina has too much free time and needs the cash
10) They just can't take another "Are you coming back?" question

To be clear, I am just kidding.:biggrinbo

shan

Reasons to come back to compete not in any particular order.

1) The cereal expired and they used up all the tissues
2) Finn wants to be Team USA mascot, DJ has been giving him a hard time
3) They want to relive that feeling of wanting to run away right before taking the ice
4) Charlie wants more followers after losing a few lately
5) They don't have enough frequent flyer miles
6) They need more Ralph Lauren to add to their ugly Christmas sweater collection
7) Charlie misses bleaching his hair
8) This is their only way to enjoy Pure Michigan as they get to stay home and train for months instead of days
9) Marina has too much free time and needs the cash
10) They just can't take another "Are you coming back?" question

To be clear, I am just kidding.:biggrinbo

:rofl:

semogal

Listening to Charlie on NBCSN's coverage of last night's SD. He is really growing as a commentator and at least today, is subscribing to the "less is more" school. I love the little tidbits he throws out. And after today there can be very little doubt that Meryl and Charlie are retired from competition.

VGThuy

Listening to Charlie on NBCSN's coverage of last night's SD. He is really growing as a commentator and at least today, is subscribing to the "less is more" school. I love the little tidbits he throws out. And after today there can be very little doubt that Meryl and Charlie are retired from competition.

I wasn't able to watch it since I'm at work. What did he say?

Barbara Manatee

You know when you listen to Tara and Johnny and they get a little petty and you can sense they miss their glory days and the spotlight? Charlie never sounds wistful or needy like that. At one point Andrea said it felt weird to be sitting next to him instead of watching him skate and asked if he felt the same. Charlie answered 'Nah, I'm good.'

Listening to Charlie on NBCSN's coverage of last night's SD. He is really growing as a commentator and at least today, is subscribing to the "less is more" school. I love the little tidbits he throws out.
He and Andrea were a surprisingly good team. Charlie brings in his own experiences without making it all about him. Now if he could only stop saying 'these guys' :slinkaway.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I am watching the Shall We Dance on Ice special, and I must say that after Charlie, John Kerr has the most glorious mane of hair. Hair Hall of Famer for sure
Okay, we need to have a Skater Hair Hall of Fame poll after the season is over. I'm happy to nominate John Kerr as our first candidate. Might have to have separate male and female categories. . .

Debbie S

ESPN article: Olympic ice dancer Charlie White isn't staying quiet anymore

Taking such a public stance is unusual in the Olympic sports realm, where active athletes often refrain or are discouraged from making political statements by their sponsors and governing bodies, and are formally barred from doing so on the field of play at the Games themselves. (One outspoken exception is six-time Olympic shooting medalist and gun-rights advocate Kim Rhode, who addressed the 2012 GOP convention and last summer openly backed then-candidate Donald Trump.) White, who is married to 2006 Olympic ice dance silver medalist Tanith Belbin White, says he has felt no external pressure to censor himself. He and Davis have not competed since the 2013-14 season that culminated with their gold medal at the Sochi Games, but they have not ruled out a comeback. "[Tanith and Meryl] are both supportive," he says. "They know 100 percent that when I feel strongly about something, I can't stay silent. We're on the same page in terms of what is important in the world, and there are things worth standing up for."

Justathoughtabl

caitie

I think the only team I can remember doing synchronized twizzles in their show program are the Shibutanis and it was the show version of their competitive program, I don't think they've added them to their show pieces just yet. I think they are so popular with audiences though because they are a really accessible element, so I wish more teams would incorporate them, especially teams like Shibs and DW and HD and CL whose twizzles are the class of the field.

mollymgr

I think the only team I can remember doing synchronized twizzles in their show program are the Shibutanis and it was the show version of their competitive program, I don't think they've added them to their show pieces just yet. I think they are so popular with audiences though because they are a really accessible element, so I wish more teams would incorporate them, especially teams like Shibs and DW and HD and CL whose twizzles are the class of the field.
My D/W trivia is getting rusty but they did have twizzles in their Billie Jean program.
https://youtu.be/hNITSrj6RiQ?t=2m16s
I would like to see them in their new programs too. Aesthetically, they are the riskiest element because if they are not perfect it ruins the program.

Justathoughtabl

Oh, I didn't know about that! There's so much I don't understand about dyslexia, like that it can affect your depth perception, according to that video.

I just watched Meryl's TED Talk about her dyslexia. She says the struggles she had (has) with skating are that it takes her a long time to pick up the choreography, and that Charlie always helped her by going over each step with her, repeatedly. She also says it gave her doubts about how she would do on Dancing With the Stars. I'm sure someone already posted this somewhere in the thread, but here's the TED Talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsY3LWgsaUo

mollymgr

Meryl and Charlie reprise Scheherazade at The Legends/SOI Japan. You can tell it's been three years. Guess which element they took out? :p

It is great that Charlie found his costume. It was starting to look like Scheherazade had to do some extensive time travel to meet up with the shirt and pants wearing 2015 Sultan to tell him her life-saving 1001 night tales. (e.g. the one they did at the World Championships at Shanghai):lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkP_7XGZwi8

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Feb. 18th Cleveland appearance: https://www.facebook.com/merylandch...080081184249/1800410636651177/?type=3&theater

Posing with Carol Heiss Jenkins: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQq_JjQj9IK/
Clip 1 (checking out the puddles beforehand!): https://www.instagram.com/p/BQqUKczD3yu/
Clip 2 ("Sax"): https://www.instagram.com/p/BQqgRkcDbSL/

Full video (fan cam) of "Sax" is embedded at the end of this article (plus 6 photos): http://fox8.com/2017/02/18/olympic-champs-charlie-white-and-meryl-davis-take-public-square/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information