Davis and White #36: What a Wonderful World

Sylvia

TBD
If we want to know for sure if DW are retiring we just need them to confirm that they would love to do AOI again next year. :EVILLE:
Not really because the Art on Ice shows are happening after the Olympics next year. ;)
The Zurich dates are March 1-4, 2018.

BTW, @mollymgr posted back in early December about "Sax" being performed in the the "Holiday Festival on Ice" shows in Canada (before the SOI show in Lake Placid): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...deeva-sato-sawyer-bradley.99522/#post-4944673

Last edited:

mollymgr

In this thread in the GSD that @Sylvia started a while back, there is info about the SOI Poland.
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...s-on-ice-plans-shows-in-poland-in-2016.96082/

Here is the website
https://cojestgrane.pl/polska/mazowieckie/warszawa/wydarzenie/3eui/stars-on-ice

Translation
Performances of "Stars On Ice" will be held on Saturday, December 9, 2017 year at 19.00 and Sunday 10 December at 15.00 at Torwar in Warsaw. Stars On Ice Poland 2017 is a spectacular show with the participation of the world's biggest stars, current Olympic champions and world champions, such as gold medalists Olympic - Meryl Davis & Charlie White (USA), world champion Kimmie Meissner (USA), gold medalist Olympic - Ekaterina Gordeeva (RUS), world champion Miki Ando (JPN), gold medalist Olympic - Ilia Kulik (RUS ), world champion Yuka Sato (JPN), Olympic medalist and famous choreographer Jeffrey Buttle (CAN).

There goes the Grand Prix for D/W, because according to the ISU site,
The International Skating Union and the Japan Skating Federation are pleased to announce the host city for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2017 and the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2017. The events will be held in Nagoya, Japan at the “Nippon Gaishi Hall” in the Aichi Prefecture from 7-10 December 2017.

Nagoya last hosted an ISU event from 21-24 October 2010 when NHK Trophy took place at the “Nippon Gaishi Arena” as part of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series.

The event had been previously allotted to Japan in ISU Communication 2053 with the exact venue remained to be confirmed.

If SOI Poland is true, Grand Prix final is not happening. I understand that one has to qualify for the Grand Prix Final. If that's not happening, the Olympics are most likely not happening. I guess the only way to confirm it would be to ask them if they are going to compete in the Olympics.:p But we all know how that ends.:D

Last edited:

justtojoke

Not really because the Art on Ice shows are happening after the Olympics next year. ;)
The Zurich dates are March 1-4, 2018.

If SOI Poland is true, Grand Prix final is not happening. I understand that one has to qualify for the Grand Prix Final. If that's not happening, the Olympics are most likely not happening. I guess the only way to confirm it would be to ask them if they are going to compete in the Olympics.:p But we all know how that ends.:D
Well I guess the plot thickens:lol:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Imagine if they came back next year.What a fab FD that could be!So different to Sherazade and completely different to the Latin SD.

As much as I would die to see an Adagio for Strings FD, I don't think it would fit the music requirement (no audible beat?). Putting a backbeat on it would be blasphemous!

Barbara Manatee

Anyone from Ohio?
Meryl Davis and Charlie White won Gold in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. The figure skating champions will headline a free public performance at the Cleveland Foundation Skating Rink on Saturday, February 18th beginning at 1:30 pm.

Winterhurst Figure Skating Club Member and Coach, Carol Heiss Jenkins, a 1960 U.S. Olympic Gold Medal Winner, will emcee the entire show. The event also features a number of award-winning local figure skaters from area Figure Skating Clubs.
Zurich to Cleveland will be quite a change. But I have a weird fondness for little skating club shows. They're so earnest.

Sylvia

TBD
http://patch.com/ohio/cleveland/2014-winter-gold-medalists-give-free-public-performance
Meryl Davis and Charlie White won Gold in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. The figure skating champions will headline a free public performance at the Cleveland Foundation Skating Rink on Saturday, February 18th beginning at 1:30 pm. Winterhurst Figure Skating Club Member and Coach, Carol Heiss Jenkins, a 1960 U.S. Olympic Gold Medal Winner, will emcee the entire show. The event also features a number of award-winning local figure skaters from area Figure Skating Clubs.

Barbara Manatee

A couple of high def videos from AOI here and another upload of Sax from JSOI with a short interview at the end.

I am in awe of how Charlie continues to be so polite yet so withering to the people who tell him to shut up and skate or they won't be his fan anymore.
I'm aware of that. But the question is- Would it be better to be disappointed in myself for not standing up for what I believe?
Well then you would put your own enjoyment of skating ahead of my passion to make a difference in a way that is important to me.

I'm not sure whether I want him to get into politics because we need more of this, or to run far far away because it will crush his soul.

Laura4

A couple of high def videos from AOI here and another upload of Sax from JSOI with a short interview at the end.

I am in awe of how Charlie continues to be so polite yet so withering to the people who tell him to shut up and skate or they won't be his fan anymore.

I'm not sure whether I want him to get into politics because we need more of this, or to run far far away because it will crush his soul.

He's lost almost a thousand followers on twitter since he began discussing politics. And while the loss of followers on social media might not matter to him, if it starts costing him and Meryl sponsors, well that might matter to him and I wonder if he's considered that.

mollymgr

It's worth noting that 1000 followers, even if it seems like a lot, is only a tiny proportion of Charlie's 105K+ following.

I certainly hope they don't lose any sponsors over his political tweets. I doubt it. I for one really respect him for speaking up.
I really don't think sponsors care about political tweets as much as they care about inappropriate behavior. They only care when the person they represent tarnishes their image. e.g. Ryan Lochte's disasters at Rio or doping by Lance Armstrong. Speaking up about politics in the current climate is not a crime. In fact, twitter is probably doing quite well as a company right now. :lol: A few butthurt fans aren't going to hurt their bottom line. A lot of celebrities also buy followers on social media so that number isn't used as an indicator of sales or influence by sponsors. The few fans who complained said they won't watch skating anymore. :huh: If you do the math... say in a worst case scenario if he lost 95% of his fanbase from this twitter follower number, even if 5% of those fans showed up, that is a significant skating crowd for the Disson shows.:lol:

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I hope that they don't lose any sponsors; he has as much of a right to voice his thoughts as anyone. Charlie is seriously the most polite person on Twitter, including toward those who are super rude to him, and seeing people basically tell him to sit down and shut up...ugh. They're free to disagree with what he's saying, but that doesn't mean he should stop saying anything at all.

Debbie S

I really don't think sponsors care about political tweets as much as they care about inappropriate behavior. They only care when the person they represent tarnishes their image. e.g. Ryan Lochte's disasters at Rio or doping by Lance Armstrong. Speaking up about politics in the current climate is not a crime. In fact, twitter is probably doing quite well as a company right now. :lol:
Actually, I've been reading in the business press that Twitter is not doing well - stock has dropped and they are losing traffic/interest to other social media platforms. ;) But athletes are speaking up about politics:

Athletes Get Political in the Age of Trump. Mostly about NFL and NBA players, but mentions Michelle Kwan (work for the Clinton campaign) and Ashley Wagner (comment about Trump's 'locker room talk'). I don't see anything on Charlie. Lots of comments/analysis from Christine Brennan - she must not follow Charlie on Twitter.

ballettmaus

Wouldn't it be illegal if sponsors withdrew due to Charlie speaking out? First amendment and all?!

mollymgr

Actually, I've been reading in the business press that Twitter is not doing well - stock has dropped and they are losing traffic/interest to other social media platforms. ;) But athletes are speaking up about politics:

Athletes Get Political in the Age of Trump. Mostly about NFL and NBA players, but mentions Michelle Kwan (work for the Clinton campaign) and Ashley Wagner (comment about Trump's 'locker room talk'). I don't see anything on Charlie. Lots of comments/analysis from Christine Brennan - she must not follow Charlie on Twitter.
I didn't realize Twitter had lost millions in revenue.
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...r-loses-advertising-revenue-rise-users-shares
I saw another article about its recent surge in popularity a couple days ago.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Wouldn't it be illegal if sponsors withdrew due to Charlie speaking out? First amendment and all?!

No, the First Amendment applies to government actions. ETA: very broadly speaking, but for these purposes, Charlie's sponsorships are not "protected". Business relationships may be ended for political reasons.

That said, I have enormous respect for Charlie and actually only started following his Twitter after he became politically engaged:respec:

Debbie S

No, sponsors can choose whichever athletes they want to represent their product/company. There are likely terms written into contracts detailing the circumstances a contract can be terminated (i.e. doping or Ryan Lochte-esque behavior, criminal acts, etc) so tweets may or may not be grounds to terminate a contract while it is in effect, but when the contract is up for renewal, a company can easily choose not to renew and does not have to justify it. Hopefully, Meryl and Charlie won't lose any sponsors.

sap5

So will D/W announce a comeback when they appear on the Today show? Or will Charlie be announcing that he's running for office? So many interesting possibilities!

mollymgr

So will D/W announce a comeback when they appear on the Today show? Or will Charlie be announcing that he's running for office? So many interesting possibilities!
:lol: That's right. Sky's the limit. Or just a little plug for Stars on Ice?:EVILLE:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
We had a shady Charlie White in Indiana (voter fraud was his downfall). So I say good for the other Charlie White if he wants to get an honest Charlie White in office!

Barbara Manatee

He's lost almost a thousand followers on twitter since he began discussing politics. And while the loss of followers on social media might not matter to him, if it starts costing him and Meryl sponsors, well that might matter to him and I wonder if he's considered that.
I think he's already answered that: "Would it be better to be disappointed in myself for not standing up for what I believe?"

I don't see much danger that sponsors will be bothered by Charlie's tweets, not when his comments are so respectful. Heck, half of the people arguing with him end up thanking him for being so polite. Can you even imagine anyone telling VISA they're going to cut up their credit card because Charlie White said we need to hold presidents to a high ethical standard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information