The Mao cheer thread #3 - "For the love of skating"

chapis

Mao has a new CM for ECC English Languag schools in which she thanks her fans for supporting her and wishes everyone Happy New Year. I think this is what she said because I got the translation through google. I don't have to access to youtube at the moment, so I am not sure if there is a video of the CM there or not.

http://netallica.yahoo.co.jp/news/20170105-42926158-wws

it is not a little weird she doing comercials for English language schools when she is not very fluent in english?. I mean, definitely she understands, speaks and probably writes english better than me but I don´t think I could to see a CM like that in my country. But is Mao, I guess she could sell ice to eskimos :D.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
it is not a little weird she doing comercials for English language schools when she is not very fluent in english?. I mean, definitely she understands, speaks and probably writes english better than me but I don´t think I could to see a CM like that in my country. But is Mao, I guess she could sell ice to eskimos :D.
LOL I guess the sponsor company thought Mao is an inspiring icon who made a great success based on hard works from very early days of her childhood. The series of commercials for ECC Junior (English lessons for kids) have put emphasize on it. As for lessons for adults/students, she can be perceived as an icon who is very patient. To someone whose mother tongue is very different from English learning English requires pretty much patience. If someone gives up before the person got to a certain level, the person's English stays almost acceptable like mine. :duh: :drama:

If you are supported by saying "Ganbatte!!" from someone so cute and inspiring like Mao, you'll be encouraged to continue working on something which is not always enjoyable. It's just like lots of people says they were/are encouraged by Mao (or Mao's skating) when they were/are facing difficulties that they didn't/don't think they could/can get over it. :)

Maybe that's one of the reasons why they cheer for Mao enthusiastically when she's facing a big difficulty. :cheer:

Last edited:

Pattina

Just after Nats, Daisuke wrote an article for Nikkei on-line edition. Article is mainly about 3 top Ladies, but of course he talks also about Mao and the beauty of her skating, with warm and tender words, full of love and deep friendship.

Article has been translated into English and I'm grateful to kind translator, so I can understand Dai's point of view about present situation of Japanese figure skating after Nats.

As I'm not sure if it's permitted to report part of translation, I post the link to entire post. Dai words about Mao are towards the end of Ladies' part and in last paragraph, when he writes about beauty of high performances even when jumps are not in.

Hope you enjoy all the article.

http://ohlovesosweet.tumblr.com/post/155239075886/takahashi-daisukes-step-step-step-column-ladies

chapis

Just after Nats, Daisuke wrote an article for Nikkei on-line edition. Article is mainly about 3 top Ladies, but of course he talks also about Mao and the beauty of her skating, with warm and tender words, full of love and deep friendship.

Article has been translated into English and I'm grateful to kind translator, so I can understand Dai's point of view about present situation of Japanese figure skating after Nats.

As I'm not sure if it's permitted to report part of translation, I post the link to entire post. Dai words about Mao are towards the end of Ladies' part and in last paragraph, when he writes about beauty of high performances even when jumps are not in.

Hope you enjoy all the article.

http://ohlovesosweet.tumblr.com/post/155239075886/takahashi-daisukes-step-step-step-column-ladies

oh, thanks. Dai is sooo sweet. He always has nice words about Mao, and her face shines when she is with him. Maybe they can´t met frequently but I am sure this friendship is very strong and sincere to both of them.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
A strange thought occurred to me today. Carolina's return and the fact that she won a competition makes me wonder if the time away may have benefited her in some ways? By the same token, Mao has not taken a break at all, even when she was/is injured. May be not going to worlds could work in her favor? May be I am being too optimistic.

chapis

Thanks to ioanna from goldenskate: Mao doesn't plan on competing in B competitions this season. She spent the new year holiday with her sister Mai and didn't train much. She wants to think about what she wants to do from now on and come back in the Olympic season at her own pace http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170108-00000003-spnannex-spo :(. Well, I hope she rest enough and start her training at 100%.

The skating lesson discussing japanese nationals, they talk about Mao in the min 8:25
https://youtu.be/-bLeaTuquk8?t=494

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Thanks to ioanna from goldenskate: Mao doesn't plan on competing in B competitions this season. She spent the new year holiday with her sister Mai and didn't train much. She wants to think about what she wants to do from now on and come back in the Olympic season at her own pace http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170108-00000003-spnannex-spo :(. Well, I hope she rest enough and start her training at 100%.

The skating lesson discussing japanese nationals, they talk about Mao in the min 8:25
https://youtu.be/-bLeaTuquk8?t=494
Excerpt from the second half of the article (published on Jan 8th)
浅田は全日本直後に17年の予定について「終わったばかりなのでゆっくり考えたい」と話していたが、現時点でB級大会に出場する意思はないという。

年末年始は本格的なトレーニングは行わずに休養し、正月は元フィギュアスケート選手でタレントの姉・舞(28)と過ごしてリラックス。勝負の五輪シーズンを見据え、マイペースで始動する。
(my rough translation)
Just after finishing Nationals Asada said "Since I just finished [Nationals], I'll take time to consider about it." It's said she's not willing to participate in B competitions at this point.

From the end of last year to the beginning of this year she didn't do any intensive training and took a rest. During the new year's holidays she spent time with her sister Mai who's a former figure skater as well as a TV personality. With the Olys season which counts the most in her sight, she started this year on her own pace.

Reading the sentence underlined by me, it doesn't sound the writer did an interview by himself/herself. Sounds like it's a hearsay from someone whose name the writer can't tell. There are articles like this regarding her from time to time. Sounds she doesn't have a plan at the point of Jan 8th but it's not necessarily mean she's decided not to participate in B competitions thoroughly. My guess is she as well as her team are taking time with watching how WS and SB lists go after Worlds. I think there still remains a slim possibility of participating in spring B comps at this point.

Last edited:

chapis

Excerpt from the second half of the article (published on Jan 8th)

(my rough translation)
Just after finishing Nationals Asada said "Since I just finished [Nationals], I'll take time to consider about it." It's said she's not willing to participate in B competitions at this point.

From the end of last year to the beginning of this year she didn't do any intensive training and took a rest. During the new year's holidays she spent time with her sister Mai who's a former figure skater as well as a TV personality. With the Olys season which counts the most in her sight, she started this year in her own pace.

Reading the sentence underlined by me, it doesn't sound the writer did an interview by himself/herself. Sounds like it's a hearsay from someone whose name the writer can't tell. There are articles like this regarding her from time to time. Sounds she doesn't have a plan at the point of Jan 8th but it's not necessarily mean she's decided not to participate in B competitions thoroughly. My guess is she as well as her team are taking time with watching how WS and SB lists go after Worlds. I think there still remains a slim possibility of participating in spring B comps at this point.

It would be great, thanks for the explication

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Here came the official announcement.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170117-00000083-jij-spo

Today Yoshiko Kobayashi of JSF revealed Mao will not participate in any of international competitions in the rest of this season. According to her Mao was not willing to participate in either of the rest two international competitions to which JSF have plans to send their skaters. "I think she's having a relaxed time now. I want her to prepare for next season," Kobayashi said re Mao.

Last edited:

gotoschool

I don't know how effective or accurate this information and suggestions are but I found it interesting in terms of possible treatment for jumper's knee. I hope Mao can find some long-term treatment plan with exercises to help her strengthen her knee.
http://www.fix-knee-pain.com/jumpers-knee-treatment-triangle/

I love watching Mao skate when she is not judged or when I feel her skate in a way that it is as if she is not being judged like in her Sochi LP or Worlds 2016 LP. I have to admit I love the feeling she alone in skating gives me of escaping completely from regimented systems like my favorite music or art does. Escaping from a constrained, empirical system of points into a transcendent dimension of limitless expression where the only frontiers are where the beauty of her artistry and athleticism leads my imagination. I never dreamed I would be on a couple of skating forums and youtube videos writing such kinds of comments. But, Mao's skating has that kind of unique power for me.

I don't remember if I posted these links or not, but they are some really nice HD videos of Mao from 2008-2010. They also connect to some more HD videos.

Here is a really high quality fancam of Mao skating to Waltz Masquerade in her beautiful pink dress early in the Olympic season at an exhibition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apferrC2pFE

And here is a high quality video of Caprice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrNSnI3_tYU

And here is the best copy I could find of Scent of a Woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8QVsi6_rgM

I love the choreography, spirals, spins, step sequences and costumes in all these programs. What a timeless treasure!

I admit Mao's pink dress is one of my very favorites but I am still glad she switched to the red dress for her SP in 2009-2010 because her best performances were in this costume except at Nationals .

Last edited:

gotoschool

Here is one of my favorite photos of Mao. It is from Madame Butterfly at Worlds. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zLHt8fsEwG4/maxresdefault.jpg

How much it reminds me of releasing all the emotions pent up inside and being set free of all constraints and systems to fly free if not for real at least in the imagination. This is what I think performance art should do, catapult one into another dimension. To me, Mao is the best at this and it is worth much more to me than any score no matter how astronomical because it transcends the dimensions of space and time.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Watching great skates and surprisingly quick and desirable recovery from their injuries of Nathan and Vincent at the US Nats, I wish Mao could have received medial treatments & rehab etc at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. Mao's pains in her knee reminds me of struggles with injuries of Kozuka & Yukari of their final stages of their careers. Ugh

IN article
Zhou had a tough fall, failing to qualify for the Junior Grand Prix Final and withdrawing after the short program of Golden Spin of Zagreb last month when he aggravated an existing hip injury. He spent several weeks rehabbing at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs before returning to his training site in Riverside, California.

"At one point, I was really downcast, because I didn't think I would be able to recover," Zhou said. "I was just kind of dealing with it the whole season, and it wasn't getting better. But I'm fortunate to have such an amazing team to help me recover and grow, and get back to my old self and beyond."

"He does have to make sure he doesn't do too much, too soon," Zhou's coach, Tammy Gambill, said. "If he does his maintaining, his therapy and off-ice exercises, he'll be fine."

Spun Silver

Doesn't Japan have such a Center? Maybe Mao could still go to ours. Tell her to ask!!

On another note:

Who else hopes that Mao can turn this season's Ex into next season's SP? I don't think that many people have seen it, and it is such a perfect portrait of her as a skater. Plus, it would be very different when the SP requirements are added in.

I do want to see the RFD program(s) again next season too. I don't think she should get all-new choreo when we never got to see this year's wonderful work performed as well as possible. But maybe it would be enough to keep the long program and switch the short one with a new one based on the Bach ex.

chapis

Doesn't Japan have such a Center? Maybe Mao could still go to ours. Tell her to ask!!

On another note:

Who else hopes that Mao can turn this season's Ex into next season's SP? I don't think that many people have seen it, and it is such a perfect portrait of her as a skater. Plus, it would be very different when the SP requirements are added in.

I do want to see the RFD program(s) again next season too. I don't think she should get all-new choreo when we never got to see this year's wonderful work performed as well as possible. But maybe it would be enough to keep the long program and switch the short one with a new one based on the Bach ex.

All the season I almost hated the music, program and even the costume of her SP, but at nationals I totally fell in love with the program, so now I really wish she keeps it . Though it would be very interesting see a competitive program in that style (her ex).

Spun Silver

All the season I almost hated the music, program and even the costume of her SP, but at nationals I totally fell in love with the program, so now I really wish she keeps it . Though it would be very interesting see a competitive program in that style (her ex).
Do you want her to keep both RFDs? For me, one is enough, even though it was quite amazing for her to do both. Maybe she should just keep everything from this year -- both RFDs and the Ex, though I still think the Ex needs a completely different, simple costume. I might have missed a few costume changes, though. :p

chapis

Do you want her to keep both RFDs? For me, one is enough, even though it was quite amazing for her to do both. Maybe she should just keep everything from this year -- both RFDs and the Ex, though I still think the Ex needs a completely different, simple costume. I might have missed a few costume changes, though. :p

yes, and this would give her more time to concentrate in the technical side. And I want new costumes too, I always love new dresses.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
My heart is still broken :fragile: for her disastrous season with the injury etc and am not in the mood I can afford to think about next season yet. (((me)))

To encourage myself I post some recently launched commercials & making-videos. And yet it still kind of makes me feel emptiness in my heart. :drama:

Arsoa (facial soap) - maybe the red dress is Ritual Dance LP's image.
Photo http://www.arsoa.co.jp/mao/keyvisual.html
Photo-shooting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0PVBI-Rmrs&feature=youtu.be :encore:

Nazal (=nasal; sinus medication) - maybe the baroque BGM is Cello Suit's image.
video http://www.sato-seiyaku.co.jp/cmgallery/1701_nazal/

Uggggh (((my second half of the season))) :drama:

Spun Silver

(((@rosewood)))

And Mirai is not helping you feel better either, is she?

Thanks for the CM. You are probably right about the allusions to her programs. Otherwise I am not sure why they would use baroque music for a nasal spray CM. The other one is gorgeous! I wonder if Mao can be a model when she stops skating, even though she is not that tall.

Any news of Mao's knee? I hope she is finding the best help to let her make a complete recovery.

clairecloutier

I adore Mao's Cello Suite EX, but I don't think it's appropriate for a competitive program. The EX is all about turns and showing off her edgework, whereas competitive programs have to be about speed, first and foremost. The two things are somewhat incompatible. Having it as an EX program gives her the freedom to do as many turns, and as complex turns, as she wishes to match the music, without having to worry about maintaining high speed. That's just my view anyway.

I'd be happy if Mao kept both Fire Dance programs next year. They're my favorite programs ever from her, and she was never able to really do them full justice this season. So I would like to see them again. Normally I don't like reusing programs, but in this case they are such masterpieces, I'd be okay with it. However if she wishes to do new programs, I'm fine with that too. But if so, I hope she keeps going in a more modernist direction and doesn't again pick classical warhorses like Rach 2 and Liebestraum. Those programs were great, but I prefer her direction this season.

Miki89

Well Nathan and Vincent are also younger and at the start of their careers. It's not a fair comparison. Looking back, I suspect Mao overstrained herself last season. She was going for four triples in the SP in the beginning! Her comeback started pretty well, a great performance at Japan Open and win at Cup of China. She made it to the Grand Prix Final. And ppl forget, but she landed three ratified 3As during the Grand Prix, higher ratio than in previous seasons. However, I think the higher tech content really took a toll on her body and she was struggling with stamina in her LP. She skipped 4CC and I heard later that it was due to an injury, so the roots of her current issues might have started around that time. She probably should've at least skipped the GP this season. I think the rest will do her well, and I hope she doesn't get GP assignments next season. For her, the more time she has to prepare and peak, the better.

Mao's case is different from other veterans who attempt a comeback, at least in the ladies field. She came back with even more difficult content than she had before. No other female veteran skater has done that, as far as I can remember. They scale back. So I don't think it's fair to compare her with anyone else because she's far more ambitious than others. With that said, I do hope Mao can choose a layout that is competitive but takes into account what she's physically capable of doing now.

chapis

Well Nathan and Vincent are also younger and at the start of their careers. It's not a fair comparison. Looking back, I suspect Mao overstrained herself last season. She was going for four triples in the SP in the beginning! Her comeback started pretty well, a great performance at Japan Open and win at Cup of China. She made it to the Grand Prix Final. And ppl forget, but she landed three ratified 3As during the Grand Prix, higher ratio than in previous seasons. However, I think the higher tech content really took a toll on her body and she was struggling with stamina in her LP. She skipped 4CC and I heard later that it was due to an injury, so the roots of her current issues might have started around that time. She probably should've at least skipped the GP this season. I think the rest will do her well, and I hope she doesn't get GP assignments next season. For her, the more time she has to prepare and peak, the better.

Mao's case is different from other veterans who attempt a comeback, at least in the ladies field. She came back with even more difficult content than she had before. No other female veteran skater has done that, as far as I can remember. They scale back. So I don't think it's fair to compare her with anyone else because she's far more ambitious than others. With that said, I do hope Mao can choose a layout that is competitive but takes into account what she's physically capable of doing now.

After read many interviews, articles, and see her behavior I assume she needs (or she think so) competitions like a mental preparation. And the other situation is if she only compete at nationals, it will be all the pressure and weight on only one competition to decide the olympic team. If she compete at GP and obtain good results, she has more possibilities to be chosen.

Spun Silver

I adore Mao's Cello Suite EX, but I don't think it's appropriate for a competitive program. The EX is all about turns and showing off her edgework, whereas competitive programs have to be about speed, first and foremost. The two things are somewhat incompatible. Having it as an EX program gives her the freedom to do as many turns, and as complex turns, as she wishes to match the music, without having to worry about maintaining high speed. That's just my view anyway.

I'd be happy if Mao kept both Fire Dance programs next year. They're my favorite programs ever from her, and she was never able to really do them full justice this season. So I would like to see them again. Normally I don't like reusing programs, but in this case they are such masterpieces, I'd be okay with it. However if she wishes to do new programs, I'm fine with that too. But if so, I hope she keeps going in a more modernist direction and doesn't again pick classical warhorses like Rach 2 and Liebestraum. Those programs were great, but I prefer her direction this season.
I definitely get your points, but from what we know of Mao, it seems very unlikely that she would keep all three programs from this year, especially for the Olympic season. As for the EX not being suitable for an SP ... of course it would have to be much changed. Even if skaters need to highlight their speed in the SP, many are able to do that while skating to slow music. Carolina's sublime Ave Maria in 2014 comes to mind, and Jeremy is a master at doing complicated programs to slow music. The slow music can gently contain and envelop the skating and (perhaps) put the skater at ease (I've read that it's easier to skate to slow music than fast). The turns are indeed the highlight of Mao's Bach cello ex, but it also highlights transitions. It already contains a solo axel and loop - it just needs a combo. Some of the turns could stay while others would need to become spins. Anyway, I would love to see Mao and Lori try this. To me this program more than any other shows Mao as almost above the earth (ice) -- it reminds me of the muse Terpsichore teaching Apollo to dance in Balanchine's Apollo. I feel like it should be seen by the world in the Olympic season, hopefully at the Olympics themselves. And many more people will view an SP than an EX.

arakwafan2006

The short I could live without. That free, PLEASE keep it. I wonder if she enjoys the challenge of creating 2 programs. Or, since she struggled to perform that free skate to its fullest maybe she will want to give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information