Chantastic....the return of Patrick

screech

Though the SP had some mistakes, Patrick stood up on all 3 of his triple axels this week - not exactly a common occurrence. And that first 3A in his long program was absolutely stunning!

In fact, as much as that music kind of puts me to sleep, his execution of the LP today was beautiful. Two triple axels, quad toe, quad salchow - just awesome! Too bad about the second toe, but still. WOW!

bardtoob

I just watched Patrick's SP from Canadian Nationals 2017, and, while every jump was sloppy, the skating to that music made me cry. It is such a privilege to get to see him skate even a little longer. It is going to hit me hard when his time is over . . . It pains me to think of those years when I couldn't tell what he was chasing despite having it all:fragile:

Last edited:

luckiest1

After he hit the second quad I felt as though he was in the "zone" as we used to say (from the look on his face) and I just relaxed and enjoyed the rest of the program. So wonderful to have been in the arena for that skate. I hope he can find that "zone" again for Worlds.

screech

I thought that was a really well-written article with decent analysis of the other skaters. And Chan's analysis of his competitors too - things like acknowledging that he is off balance sometimes going into his jumps, but that it's because he's not using 2-foot skating as much (I've always noticed how extremely few crossovers he does in his programs). And how he'd rather be able to have a future after skating than never be able to do any other sports or activities due to pushing himself to do more quads. I wonder if Epstein (who I kind of think slightly resembles Mr. Bean) will be able to convince him to work on another quad.

chapis

I thought that was a really well-written article with decent analysis of the other skaters. And Chan's analysis of his competitors too - things like acknowledging that he is off balance sometimes going into his jumps, but that it's because he's not using 2-foot skating as much (I've always noticed how extremely few crossovers he does in his programs). And how he'd rather be able to have a future after skating than never be able to do any other sports or activities due to pushing himself to do more quads. I wonder if Epstein (who I kind of think slightly resembles Mr. Bean) will be able to convince him to work on another quad.

:rofl:

douglasottawa

Banned Member
I just watched Patrick's SP from Canadian Nationals 2017, and, while every jump was sloppy, the skating to that music made me cry. It is such a privilege to get to see him skate even a little longer. It is going to hit me hard when his time is over . . . It pains me to think of those years when I couldn't tell what he was chasing despite having it all:fragile:

Watching Chan live is something else. His blades are almost silent, yet he is getting so much speed.

Debrah

My heart says Chan should win this for the beauty and quality of his skating, but it seems Chan is having issues delivering 2 solid skates in 1 event although he looks more in the zone here than he has all season, still my head says the men's event is not artistic ice skating anymore, but ice jumping thus Hanyu is more likely favored to win... I was quite surprised at how good Reynolds looked on the practice vids, seems a lot faster and more secure on his rotations and landings, he may surprise and find himself in top 5 esp if the hyped youngster's mess up.

bbkenn

My heart is breaking.... FCC he didn't even do 2 good skates. I feel really down for him.

montrealsurfa

Banned Member
Why?

Saying that you don't approve of his jumps, is not reason enough, IMO.
The person who best presents their program, when it matters, should win.
If that person is Nathan Chen, more power to him!

I like Nathan alot, I just think he has a long way to go reach the artistry of Chan or even Hanyu. Fernandez might not be a true artiste, but meanwhile his entertainment and performance skills are like nobody else. Chen is too young and raw to be capable of that. In addition all 3 have much better skating skills than Chen, and all can do the jumps on a good day too, especialy now with Chan adding a quad salchow. I even think Uno is a more complete skater and he can do the really hard jumps too, like the first ever quad flip, and many quads in his LP. So I would prefer one of those on top. I would rather see Nathan develop more before winning, a bronze this year is ok for him I think.

And I dont want to see him swallowed up by hype in the U.S which will probably happen if he wins this year. Look at all the hype he is getting for just winning a relatively minor event like Four Continents. He needs to be prepared for something like that or I doubt he will handle it well.

Jammers

I like Nathan alot, I just think he has a long way to go reach the artistry of Chan or even Hanyu. Fernandez might not be a true artiste, but meanwhile his entertainment and performance skills are like nobody else. Chen is too young and raw to be capable of that. In addition all 3 have much better skating skills than Chen, and all can do the jumps on a good day too, especialy now with Chan adding a quad salchow. I even think Uno is a more complete skater and he can do the really hard jumps too, like the first ever quad flip, and many quads in his LP. So I would prefer one of those on top. I would rather see Nathan develop more before winning, a bronze this year is ok for him I think.
And I dont want to see him swallowed up by hype in the U.S which will probably happen if he wins this year. Look at all the hype he is getting for just winning a relatively minor event like Four Continents. He needs to be prepared for something like that or I doubt he will handle it well.
Minor event? Beating 4 of the top 5 skaters in the world is minor?

montrealsurfa

Banned Member
Minor event? Beating 4 of the top 5 skaters in the world is minor?

Who he beat is not minor, but the event itself is not that big. Four Continents is clearly behind Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix final, Europeans, and the prominent National Championships in importance. Maybe even World Juniors. Fumie Suguri is like a 4 time winner of Four Continents, and Amber Corwin is a multi medalist at the event.

Japanfan

My heart says Chan should win this for the beauty and quality of his skating, but it seems Chan is having issues delivering 2 solid skates in 1 event although he looks more in the zone here than he has all season, still my head says the men's event is not artistic ice skating anymore, but ice jumping thus Hanyu is more likely favored to win...

bbkenn said:
My heart is breaking.... FCC he didn't even do 2 good skates. I feel really down for him.

I lowered my expectations of Chan after the 2014 Olympics. I just knew he wasn't going to deliver. From interviews he appeared to be freaked out about the competition, I would say. And the pressure put on him was relentless.

Nonetheless, I was rooting for him, and the subsequent disappointment ending up ruining my enjoyment of the Olympics.

Since then, I've expected him to make 2-3 mistakes in his free and rarely deliver a clean short. And, expected him to skate his best at Canadians, which is usually the case.

He's got his own rink or club here in BC now, which has made him a very rich young man. I think he's just hanging on to 'get through' 2018 in Korea, and then move on to pursuits that are more meaningful and enjoyable to him. I would be very surprised if he won a medal in his last Olympics, but who knows, the stars may line up for him one more time again.

Hanyu, Fernandez, and Chan need to get their acts together ASAP. Chen as world champion which will happen if 1 of those 3 doesnt get their marbles in gear, would majorly suck.

ITA. Men used to be my favourite discipline. The 1994 Olympics with Urmanov, Stoijko, and Candelero (sp?) is my favourite men's comp of all time, perhaps, and what turned me into a FS fan. Stoijko is not the best artistically in the views of many, but I used to find him exciting to watch because he was such a fierce competitor. After that, I enjoyed Yagudin and Plushenko, and to a lesser extent, Lambiel. And Chan, in the early years, before it became clear that he was not a fierce competitor.

Now, I don't particularly care for any of the men at the top. Machida was the last male skater I ubered.

Chen is very boring for me. I find it difficult to retain attention on his programs, regardless of how many quads he landed.

Misha Ge is my favourite, actually, and I find myself rooting for the guy from the Philippines! The field has seen better days.:slinkaway

Debrah

Not to put to fine a point on it but Chen is not the only guy who has won this title over other well known and rising skater's, but a lot can happen over the lead up to the Olympic Games momentum suddenly shifts. Stuff happens the year before the big games. Favorites may lose their mojo, maybe some young gun comes out of nowhere and begins to win. Sometimes injuries, or other issues can derail favored veterans or a newbie produces lightening in a bottle career type wins where everything is going along just right, then pouf, it's over and the worm turns yet again and some other skater rises up and has everyone talking.

Example -- to put Chen's win here in perspective yes it is admirable but is it a sign of things to come? Maybe, maybe not, Kevin Reynolds won the 2013 4CC (the year before Sochi Olympics) so he also beat guys like Hanyu, Denis Ten, Daisuke Takahashi, Han Yan, Max Aaron which was quite empowering for Kevin, but then disaster struck and he lost his forward momentum. One also has to take into account that 4CC does not always bring out the best performances either due to travel issues or because most who enter this event are saving their best performances for Worlds, unless of course they are the B team and are not going on to worlds and thus are free to try to do their very best to leave a good impression and to re-set themselves up for the following season. So yes winning this title is sometimes a harbinger of great things to come, but often it simply means that not everyone gave their best performance at this event, preferring to save their bodies for worlds and/or the next season ahead. It possible that Chen will go on to greater victories, but it is also possible that injury or some other issue may derail him too, so all I am saying is don't count your Chen chickens just yet, LOL! Isn't life funny and a bit repetitive; Hanyu may finally be able to appreciate what Chan felt when the worm turned for him and Chan was no longer the favored golden boy when Hanyu became the favored young gun that rose suddenly to create excitement and Hanyu began to win everything...Karma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information