Chantastic....the return of Patrick

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Although it's hard for a lot of people considering that they lived through 2000-2002, I don't think one needs to be so binary with S/P and B/S. It is possible to appreciate both teams' strengths.
I love both teams. I've seen S&P live a couple of times and think they're amazing. Whatever happened in 2002, whoever any of them are off the ice, I don't give a rat's a$$. I just like to watch good skating. S&P's posture/glide/speed :swoon: and they did some seriously :rockstar: exhibition pieces. I guess I just don't understand not enjoying the skating even if the person may or may not be the world's greatest humanitarian off the ice, or just because you didn't agree with the what the judges did. Stones in glass houses . . . . .

VarBar

Patrick Chan: Ready for GPF

https://sportymags.wordpress.com/2016/12/02/patrick-chan-ready-for-gpf/

"He has changed his spins to be more esthetically appealing for GOE, and he has changed his footwork slightly to add full body movement. He has more accents in his step sequence in the long program, which make it more dynamic (sharp and aggressive movements), not all just soft"."

Nice.:)

Cachoo

Patrick Chan: Ready for GPF

https://sportymags.wordpress.com/2016/12/02/patrick-chan-ready-for-gpf/

"He has changed his spins to be more esthetically appealing for GOE, and he has changed his footwork slightly to add full body movement. He has more accents in his step sequence in the long program, which make it more dynamic (sharp and aggressive movements), not all just soft"."

Nice.:)

Very Nice. I used to dislike Patrick. But in the last couple of years my opinion of him has changed. I don't know if it was me or him. I hope his year is golden.

dramagrrl

Even if Patrick did nothing else for the rest of the season, that SP would be good - great - enough to make up for it.

I know it's not reasonable in terms of levels, what they're actually being marked on in terms of the rules that constitute PCS, etc., but in sheer intangible "artistry" that would've been better reflected by the old 6.0 system, I would have had him at least 15 points above everyone else in this field. (I'm not knocking Hanyu at all, but IMO his SP this season is terrible and doesn't suit him at all, and I love Javier, but Patrick is heads above him when it comes to fluidity of edge and motion.)

ETA: Looking more closely at the judges' marks, the fact that Hanyu had (incrementally, but still) higher scores than Patrick in performance, composition, and musical interpretation is completely ridiculous to me. Is Hanyu capable of beating Patrick on those scores with a great performance? Yes, occasionally. But with this SP? Hellz to the no.

Last edited:

VarBar

I think that Patrick was genuinely happy with his scores yesterday and so am I. We really can't expect the judges to shower him with the highest marks for his very first clean SP internationally in three years (since 2013 TEB). Patrick would need a couple more SP skates like the one he put out in Marseille for the judges to be convinced that he has fixed his issues and they can count on him to skate well at every or nearly every competition he attends. It's a process IMO. The technical is key these days and it seems that Patrick finally understood the message.(y)

He skated the SP with so much speed, power and attack that it's almost scary. lol

On to the free skate now. Stay focused, Patrick.

screech

That 3A was quite possibly the most beautiful 3A I've ever seen Patrick do.

And mark me as another who doesn't understand Yuzu beating Chan on most components - and being so close to him on ones where Chan is ahead. Having seen them both live, they are nowhere near each other - Patrick is teaching a master class in skating, and Hanyu is a new student.

barbarafan

That 3A was quite possibly the most beautiful 3A I've ever seen Patrick do.

And mark me as another who doesn't understand Yuzu beating Chan on most components - and being so close to him on ones where Chan is ahead. Having seen them both live, they are nowhere near each other - Patrick is teaching a master class in skating, and Hanyu is a new student.
no way Patrick s/b lower than Hanyu for PCS on the day..Patrick was pretty clean but Hanyu was not so you can't use that as an excuse.

bbkenn

I can't believe Patrick didn't take advantage of Hanyu's screw up again. It seems like when Hanyu skates well, so does Patrick, but when he doesn't, Patrick falls apart too. What's with that?

VarBar

I definitely didn't expect Patrick to win the GPF but I thought he could easily medal after that gorgeous short program skate. I'm guessing nerves got to him again? Most likely because he had a great FS run-through yesterday morning, he really seemed to be in wonderful form.

Shocking result.

Sylvia

TBD
Detroit Skating Club‏ (@dscclub) tweeted today:
DSC is hosting 2017 Skate for Dreams Champions Ice Revue a Special Olympics fundraiser Saturday January 7th, 6PM. Tickets available at door.
2017 Skate for Dreams Champions Ice Revue guests Patrick Chan and Jeremy Abbott, vocal performances by Karen Newan, Sofi K, and Ali McManus.

http://dscclub.com/figureskating/2017-champion-ice-revue/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information