"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellanca

The silver lining is that history shows us that Mirai seems to like coming from behind, so hopefully, she'll throw caution to the wind and bring the house down in the FS. Nerves be damned! :kickass:

ETA: Well, ok, not @ NHK Trophy, but, all in all, not a bad finish.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Welll.. if Mirai can flip flop with Satoko (and get herself a bronze) then ASH will go to GPF......

The only thing is that Mirai doesnt often end up on GP podiums, Satoko I dont think has ever missed one....

GullyGirl84

Well her LP was a lot better than at Skate Canada! Still lots of work to do...she actually lost levels on all spins I believe, plus on the step sequence. Tom, make sure she is going full out on her spins in all the run throughs! We know Mirai can get Level 4 spins and it is a points giveaway! Plus apparently she switched boot brands between here and Skate Canada? I think that top 5 in this field was not bad. Hopefully she will be peaking at the right time and be rotating most triples at nationals like she was last year.. up to Skate Canada, she had been rotating at least one triple triple per event from Nationals to the Autumn Classic, so it was kind of disappointing to see her not get one on the grand prix, but oh well.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
These costumes are just wrong. They are something Emily Chan would wear and that isn't meant to be offensive. They just aren't right and they look like a junior grand prix presentation wise.

Reactions: mag

bardtoob

Mirai. :cheer2:

Oh so nice. And the standing ovation.

She's got the pressure on the leaders.

And yay for Tom telling her nice things as she comes off the ice.

Tom Z: "That was your best long program this season so far."

Ouch this panel is kind of brutal. I expected Mirai to be in the 120s somewhere at least.

5. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 180.33 Worldwide Loss of Signal For All Broadcasters

Great, now I'm going to be convinced it's a conspiracy for the rest of my life. Love you, Mirai.

Bellanca

Well her LP was a lot better than at Skate Canada! Still lots of work to do...she actually lost levels on all spins I believe, plus on the step sequence. Tom, make sure she is going full out on her spins in all the run throughs! We know Mirai can get Level 4 spins and it is a points giveaway! Plus apparently she switched boot brands between here and Skate Canada? I think that top 5 in this field was not bad. Hopefully she will be peaking at the right time and be rotating most triples at nationals like she was last year.. up to Skate Canada, she had been rotating at least one triple triple per event from Nationals to the Autumn Classic, so it was kind of disappointing to see her not get one on the grand prix, but oh well.
I agree.

As always, when it comes to Mirai, as soon as she pulls it all together, BAM! BRILLIANCE!
I am hoping that she does this @ Nationals because that would just be so :40beers: She is two skates away from it. Can never give up! :cheer2:

Until then, her GP's were ok, nothing to get too :drama: about, as the majority of the U.S. ladies are in a bit of a funk. Mirai is in good company, and off to Nationals we go...

icellist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF1eLDm_Rhk

The < call on her flip was a uncalled for IMO, watching the slow-mo over and over during the KnC. Lutz edge was clean but she gets a ! on her flip now. Wish she would repeat the Lz or F instead of loop, especially for the combo (she has a strong running edge out of the loop but isnt showcased in combos). The <3T were barely within the quarter turn but the tech panel thought otherwise.

Plusdinfo

Though I may have typed this before: it seems Mirai's base value is quite low compared to the other ladies. I know she has been dinged for things, but isn't her starting base value a recipe for finishing down the standings right from the get-go? If so, has she spoken about why she would plan programs that way? Is she not capable of more triples or maximizing certain areas to get more points? I'm not a big point-counting fan, but I often see her TES as low and wonder if she's just limited or if she really should be planning things differently. I'd like for her to do well.

I'm in the group that doesn't mind the LP music, but I think it has more strength and bravado than Mirai is showing. It seems many agree that she should attack and emote more. We'll see how things develop over her career.

icellist

Her team has been playing around with some of the elements but I think the choreo was stronger from the Challenger series, just that the jumps weren't there yet. She lost a lot of levels on spins and steps as well as < calls at NHK probably due to her trying to go clean and not paying attention. If she could skate at ease like it was an EX while still rotating her jumps, she'd be podium worthy even at worlds. But I really like her programs this year too.

Also, I don't know why she changed her arm position in her layback, I kind of hate it that way... And she shouldn't be missing levels on spins

cbd1235

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF1eLDm_Rhk

The < call on her flip was a uncalled for IMO, watching the slow-mo over and over during the KnC. Lutz edge was clean but she gets a ! on her flip now. Wish she would repeat the Lz or F instead of loop, especially for the combo (she has a strong running edge out of the loop but isnt showcased in combos). The <3T were barely within the quarter turn but the tech panel thought otherwise.

I just don't understand the flip-toe call. I mean the others, yes I totally agreed with them, but this one was just really weird. It was a beautiful 3-3 on slow-mo

mag

I just don't understand the flip-toe call. I mean the others, yes I totally agreed with them, but this one was just really weird. It was a beautiful 3-3 on slow-mo

Then flip was under so I am okay with the < . The toe was forward on the landing. Watch her ankle, she lands forward on the toe pick, continues to rotate on the pick, and then still puts the blade down short. It is where the toe pick goes in that counts. Hard to tell on YouTube exactly which side of 180 degrees she came down on. I would say she should be thankful they didn't give her <<.

I think Mirai has made great improvements. Her 3loop and 2A are amazing as are her spins. She still struggles with the rotation on the flip and the lutz and the 3T on the end of a combo. She clearly is able to pull short jumps out, but, IMHO, that is worse than a fall on a fully rotated one. Jumps landed forward are not actually triple jumps. Heck, even her practice videos are often short. I do think she is probably getting closer in practice, but landing short is an extremely hard habit to break. Her muscle memory is telling her she is all the way around, and she isn't.

ETA: Just watched the flip toe again a few times. The flip is closer than I thought and probably if the toe had been clean, they wouldn't have reviewed it. There in lies the problem, the toe is clearly cheated so they end up looking at the whole combo. Mirai is known for under rotating so she doesn't get any slack.

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

Say what you will but ditching Frank was her worst decision. Tom is making headway getting her to train but there is a tension and a rigidness to her jumps and technique that was not there before. I hope that the ease and lessening of being self conscious will return to her skating because that's where she was at her best. Right now, she's dodging bullets and that's not her best frame of mind. Also, Tom has not helped at all at bringing out what makes her better than the rest of the ladies which is that she used to have nerves of steel and a regal quality that combined flexibility, clean lines, exquisite positions with speed, accuracy and a reliability that others don't have. Mirai is a tough ass woman inside of a beautiful body. That's what I would like to see and I believe that frame of mind will make the difference.

Good start though using David and Jeff. They believe in her for sure.

rhapsody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q43x68O2T_A
Mirai's exhibition from NHK, this is how the she needs to skate in the competitive programs, FREE. That split jump at 2:48!! :respec::respec:

Thanks for posting this! I missed the gala this weekend because of the holiday and I've been meaning to check it out. Maybe it's just because I have such a soft spot for this song by F&TM, but I loved that program. She's so engaging here! :cheer2:

icellist

I think leaving Frank was okay. He hasn't done much with bringing out the best in Mirai or Gracie imo. Mirai's strong junior years, I would say, came from good character playing in her programs when she had the Lori/Charlene team. I also really enjoyed when Mirai went back to her first choreographer, Susan Austin, that one season but had a very unfortunate nationals/fever (I thought the choreo was good, the coaching team was lazy on spins that season). Since then, it's been 4 years since Mirai's had programs that can really showcase her. I wish she went with Christy Krall if she was going to Colorado, but I think TomZ was the one offering a discount :/

Mirai will always have a soft spot in my heart though. She's the one that got me interested in figure skating to begin with (went to school with her!).

giselle23

Then flip was under so I am okay with the < . The toe was forward on the landing. Watch her ankle, she lands forward on the toe pick, continues to rotate on the pick, and then still puts the blade down short. It is where the toe pick goes in that counts. Hard to tell on YouTube exactly which side of 180 degrees she came down on. I would say she should be thankful they didn't give her <<.

I think Mirai has made great improvements. Her 3loop and 2A are amazing as are her spins. She still struggles with the rotation on the flip and the lutz and the 3T on the end of a combo. She clearly is able to pull short jumps out, but, IMHO, that is worse than a fall on a fully rotated one. Jumps landed forward are not actually triple jumps. Heck, even her practice videos are often short. I do think she is probably getting closer in practice, but landing short is an extremely hard habit to break. Her muscle memory is telling her she is all the way around, and she isn't.

ETA: Just watched the flip toe again a few times. The flip is closer than I thought and probably if the toe had been clean, they wouldn't have reviewed it. There in lies the problem, the toe is clearly cheated so they end up looking at the whole combo. Mirai is known for under rotating so she doesn't get any slack.

I think the flip was no more than quarter under. The tech controller was overly harsh, in my opinion. At exactly one-quarter, the advantage should go to the skater.

giselle23

Say what you will but ditching Frank was her worst decision. Tom is making headway getting her to train but there is a tension and a rigidness to her jumps and technique that was not there before. I hope that the ease and lessening of being self conscious will return to her skating because that's where she was at her best. Right now, she's dodging bullets and that's not her best frame of mind. Also, Tom has not helped at all at bringing out what makes her better than the rest of the ladies which is that she used to have nerves of steel and a regal quality that combined flexibility, clean lines, exquisite positions with speed, accuracy and a reliability that others don't have. Mirai is a tough ass woman inside of a beautiful body. That's what I would like to see and I believe that frame of mind will make the difference.

Good start though using David and Jeff. They believe in her for sure.

I don't think it was a mistake to leave Frank. Mirai was very young then and still living at home. Frank moved two hours away. It was an impossible situation. Frank had also criticized Mirai publicly after, I think, 2011 Nationals (it was the year she won bronze at Four Continents). I wouldn't have blamed her if she had left him then. Mirai's only mistake was not finding a better new coach to work with after Frank. Frank arranged for her to work with Amy Evidente and someone else--neither was coaching any other elite skater. Too bad Mirai didn't go to Artunian (or John Nicks) at that point. In any event, she is in a much better place now, with lots of ice time and a supportive coaching environment. Her jumps are really big and her double axel is, as Dick Button would say, the best in the business. Her 3-loop is first rate, too.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Mirai was having problems competing and making it to post-season under Frank. Frank Carroll is not a perfect coach for everyone, nor would Mirai have gotten more consistent/better programs/passion to continue and not be retired by now under his tutelage. IMO.

I hope we see a rejuvenated Mirai at Nationals, Tom has done an excellent job with her and she actually looks happy (even through the rough skates). I think she still has a very realistic shot at making it to Worlds this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information