"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
We still love you, Mirai!!!

Focus on effort and not results!

For those of you who follow NCAA gymnastics, I would love to send Mirai and Gracie to a Miss Val boot camp.

loulou

Let It Snow
Throughout all those years, Nagusu has had the best shoulders in the business. Those alone are worth watching, for me.
Of course, I wish she pulls a slightly late bloom, does her skating justice and makes her fan base happy.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Yeah, absolutely not. The programs are great - now is Mirai's chance to truly live the lyrics to her long program. It's a test and everything is there except for her, she can't check out because we're "seeing her so tense, with low self confidence..."

But you see, Mirai, the winner takes it allllllllllllllllllllll. :violin:

She shouldn't skate with that kind of doubt, she looked so much more secure in practice and everything just unraveled for some reason in competition.

rhapsody

Yeah, absolutely not. The programs are great - now is Mirai's chance to truly live the lyrics to her long program. It's a test and everything is there except for her, she can't check out because we're "seeing her so tense, with low self confidence..."

But you see, Mirai, the winner takes it allllllllllllllllllllll. :violin:

She shouldn't skate with that kind of doubt, she looked so much more secure in practice and everything just unraveled for some reason in competition.

Agreed. These are way up there with 'Demons' in terms of her best programs.

I echo what @mag said about watching the free and expecting a complete Czisny meltdown after reading these comments because I couldn't see it in real-time. It was clearly some confidence/nerve thing because she's in fantastic shape (even scored her PB last month). I hope she can get it together for NHK though because I think it's important that she beat Polina if she wants to up her standing for the World team.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
It's nice that she has a few more weeks before NHK, IMO that's enough time to spend another however-many days with David. Once he gets to really know her more, my hope is that he takes her heart and teaches her how to splatter the ice with it. We need to be in crying fits once she's finished (by Nationals), out of joy though and from connecting with her powerful emotions/story. The doubt also shows through in how she performs the choreography (even though it's polished and very elegant). It needs to be raw emotion, full of confidence, and completely unguarded or it's never going to fully work.

Last edited:

GullyGirl84

Mirai made a post to the John Wilson blades Instagram that she had a “quick visit” with David Wilson on her last day in Canada, so I’m not sure how much time she will get to spend with him before her next grand prix assignment. I think the only time that her LP choreography worked for me this year was in her Skate Detroit competition (where obviously there wasn’t much pressure and she didn’t really perform the jumps), and her practice LP from this weekend that showed up on youtube. I liked some of the nuances, though the “piano interlude” section is still very empty. In her competition LP here, I noticed that she was behind the music and left out some of the touches. That said, higher PCs will probably follow with a higher TES (not how it’s supposed to work but it usually does), so the biggest priority should be getting the jumps around. Her technique seems better with Tom, so I attribute it to nerves. Hopefully she won’t lose too much confidence from this competition. I think that I heard her saying in the kiss and cry that her boots felt soft and like she needed new ones, but from reports she was doing ok in practice, so maybe the boot problems are mental too.

In other news, even though there were a ton of white dresses, I thought she looked very pretty in hers (to think, Tom wanted her in a gold dress, which could have made things even more awkward). And for those who think that the LP music is too "on the nose", let's remember, Mirai originally wanted to do Avatar and Tom said no, hahaha.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
But you see, Mirai, the winner takes it allllllllllllllllllllll.

Agree, this song needs to be skated by someone with passion, whose desperate for one last try or call to action. Yes, Mirai does skate with her heart on her sleeve at times but the facial emotions thats needed for this is someone more suited for Medev who is capable of facial expressions to the last row.

Spun Silver

Agree, this song needs to be skated by someone with passion, whose desperate for one last try or call to action. Yes, Mirai does skate with her heart on her sleeve at times but the facial emotions thats needed for this is someone more suited for Medev who is capable of facial expressions to the last row.
It's an Ashley program IMO.
Much as I would love to see Mirai bring us to tears with her womanly passion (as opposed to her little girl adorableness and heart on a sleeve) I just dont think that's her. I also think expecting her to go to a new level of artistry in two totally different programs this season is a big ask. Remember the success of Demons was predicated on her having used it as an ex the previous season. The Chopin program is already wonderful when she''s on, the best thing she's ever done. Too bad IN did not focus on that one and Jeff Buttle!

If going back to Gatsby doesnt sound good, then I would rather see her expand Demons into a FS. Now that is a program that is about who she really is instead of who David Wilson thinks she should be. I dont mean to knock Wilson but I think he asked too much of her.

Oh well. I just hope she pulls it together, however she does it!

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I never want to hear that version of Demon again. It was shrill the first time I heard it as an exhibition and it was shrill the last time I heard it at worlds. R.I.P. demons.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
This program is exactly what Mirai needs to force the expression out of her. She's capable of it...she just has to want it bad enough. She couldn't have a better long program to bring out what's been missing for years now IMO. She has to skate with heart and passion.

Ashley would look extremely desperate skating this program IMO :shuffle: Mirai doesn't.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Hmmmm but this program sort of demands a look of desperation. It's about a thwarted lover, remember? How should they look?

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
:lol: I just mean desperate to win the competition, Ashley was 2nd last year and I think this would be more off-putting. She could do it, and I guess the breakup with the man you love part is why I connect with this so much :shuffle: (that bastard), but it still works really well with Mirai's story and subtle beauty! Ashley doesn't have the same line that Mirai has, she'd have to sell it more with theatrics. I think this program is beneath what Ashley is about (but a masterpiece of a program IMO, just not for her).

IceAlisa

If you told me Ashley doesn't have the SS Mirai has, I'd buy it. But Ashley does have beautiful lines when she chooses, otherwise I couldn't love her as a skater. I agree that Ashley would grab her head a few times and probably go OTT but Mirai's is too understated and aloof here to make any kind of emotional impact. And as I've said, this version is so one note, so devoid of crescendo, no one could sell it. The original version of this song is so much more dramatic and engaging but probably too fast for skating. I say, dump it before it's too late.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Oh I feel the same way about Ashley, especially her carriage and core strength, I've just always adored Mirai's lines and leg flexibility. Ashley is my girl and is so much tougher/confident in who she is than Mirai it's not even funny, but Mirai's is so understated and blank because it's devoid of any heart or passion. Ashley can sell a program with heart and passion like nobodies business, but I still like this Exogenesis program for her more than I would this one.

Ashley's got enough fight to pick something less melancholy and slow paced, plus she's already had a ton of breakthroughs while Mirai has yet to get back to the top at a US Nationals. It doesn't matter the music or program, she still needs to skate with more heart and passion in general IMO.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Yep, that's pretty much the boat she's in right now. But she has plenty of life-vests and fuel for the boat available to her.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Hmmmm but this program sort of demands a look of desperation. It's about a thwarted lover, remember? How should they look?

110% agree!

This song is like a diva-ish type of gal going for broke... desperate to return to graces or to the top! She's going all in for one last try so the emotions need to be conveyed all the way to the concession stands. Otherwise its flat and a misfire IMO.

Mirai is too introverted and introspective for this piece so far! Her SP music is Great and perfect or her. Thats a total match.

But The Winner Takes It All almost needs like an Eva Peron type personality

mag

I think it goes further than just emotion and facial expression. Mirai needs to learn to use her upper back. The movements in both the SP and the LP are all arms and legs. It is, IMHO, the back that connects the arms, legs, and face and makes it a cohesive movement. The SP is nice, but it could be amazing if she could just take it one step further. In the LP all the feeling needs to come up from her blades and inhabit her entire body. She need to be deep into the ice (which we know she can do) and then allow the music/feeling to travel upward and out through her finger tips and the top of her head. I agree with @IceAlisa that this version is flat, but Mirai could still make much more of it.

Jammers

Mirai suffers from what Gracie has and that isn't just nerves but overthinking the elements and jumps and not really selling the programs. You can just see in her face how she's concentrating on the next jump or element. Ashley manages to really perform her programs while not looking like she's thinking ahead about the jumps she has coming up.

giselle23

After the Autumn Classic, people were raving about Mirai's programs. She just needs to skate clean or nearly clean. I love the extended spiral in her long program. I look forward to seeing her skate it without costly mistakes. It doesn't need a lot of smiley faces or emoting.

IceAlisa

I mostly remember several people complimenting her SP, which is a lovely program and suits her.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Anyone else think Mirai should change back to her old costumes? I just watched the programs again from SC and while the costumes are pretty she is completely washed out on TV. Maybe they look better in person but not so much from far away. The long sleeves really showed off her lovely arms in that red and this new one just looks.. I dunno I just dont like it much.

Sylvia

TBD
Resilient Mirai Nagasu Hopes To Rebound At Japan’s NHK Trophy by Lynn Rutherford: http://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/No...-Nagasu-Hopes-To-Rebound-At-Japans-NHK-Trophy
Excerpt:
“Tom [Zakrajsek] and I have been working on hitting my jumps over and over again, repetition is a huge practice point for me to build my confidence,” Nagasu said. “It’s hard when you want something so badly, you just want it right away. It’s not like shopping when you have that satisfaction of wanting to buy something, and it’s instantaneously there. You have to work towards it so it’s much more gratifying, because it’s a work in progress.”

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Resilient Mirai Nagasu Hopes To Rebound At Japan’s NHK Trophy by Lynn Rutherford:
http://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/No...-Nagasu-Hopes-To-Rebound-At-Japans-NHK-Trophy
”Resilient Mirai Nagasu Hopes To Rebound At Japan’s NHK Trophy”
Love the title! Go Mirai the resilient! :lol: :cheer:
Weeks later, she arrived at Skate Canada in Mississauga, Ontario, fit and ready, only to falter on jumps in both her short program and free skate and end up ninth.

“I put maybe too much emphasis on the importance of this competition and so I almost over-trained for it, and when things didn’t go accordingly, I panicked a little bit,” Nagasu said in Mississauga. “I was really excited about coming here because I felt I was really trained, better than I ever have (been), so to skate like I haven’t been training was really disappointing.”
Landing a triple axel in competition — and making a second Olympic team — would go a long way to achieving another goal: proving that a few disappointments, no matter how big, don’t have to mean the end of a figure skater’s career.

“I think it’s my will to prove to myself I can still get better,” Nagasu said. “I know I’ve been on the scene for a long, long time, but I was fortunate enough to make my debut as a really young skater. I would like to be a role model to all the younger skaters who think they fizzled out, that if you continue to work hard, you still have a lot to improve upon. That’s why I continue skating.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information