Madison Chock & Evan Bates Hopes, Fears & Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vireo

Had it still been their first season or two I probably would have agreed that they don't really go together as a team, but they've developed a nice connection over the years. It's not the most intensely romantic one, but they feel like a team to me. People decided they didn't like this team years ago and refuse to acknowledge any growth and progress they've made.

I really like their programs this season, there's a ton of potential and room for growth. Some tweaks are needed, but hopefully Nebelhorn and Nepela provide all the feedback they need and they don't change too much.

"People" didn't complain much about this team their first year together, when they finished around fifth at US Nationals. The hating really got going in subsequent years when an improved Chock and Bates passed some teams and moved up to second in the US. The haters tend to be very, very vocal and determined to dominate the conversation about C/B. I can assure you they would not expend so much effort trying to discredit this team if C/B weren't good enough to pose a threat to their favorites.

I've come to see the haters as a kind of barometer. If the haters are squawking, Madi and Evan must be in pretty good shape.

VGThuy

I do remember a lot of negativity in the beginning with the whole Emily Samuelson thing, many people thinking Evan "dumped" her and not giving his explanations any consideration plus with the whole Chock being perceived as Igor's favorite and fitting more into what he likes in an ice dancer. Some suspected he was looking to break up a team in his stable once Chock was found partnerless.

I do think people don't give C/B credit for what they do well, such as skating with tons of energy and choreography and always coming up with new lifts whereas a lot of teams recycle them.

chameleonster

Oh, some of the negativity does arise from their success, but some people haven't forgiven him splitting with Emily, and I keep seeing arguments that haven't applied to them in years. They talk about Madison's SS like she's just learned her first snow plow stop yesterday, when she's no worse than most of the other top ladies and in fact better than several of them at this point. She's also really improved since she and Evan teamed up. I see people complaining about how They make no attempt to match their lines, but I've found it very impressive that they match their lines as well as is physically possible. C/B were, admittedly, somewhat of a mess their first season but its not 2012 anymore.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I really don't care a bit about him dumping someone. It's old history.

My main problem, as with all Igor's team, is that they are barely skating to a background music, which don't matter in the end since they have zero understanding or choreo going with said music.
Mind you, all of Igor's team do have that same problem.

At least, Madisons is gorgeous and both do skate a lot better than two years before, still, they don't skate as one yet..

chameleonster

We're going to have to agree to disagree, I have noticed Igor starting more emphasis on choreography in the past, but this season there's been more variety and musicality across all his teams than ever before. I think C/B's programs have some really interesting choreography and transitions, pretty much all the senior teams of note got to work with an outside choreographer, I've heard they've been upping dance classes, etc. And a point in their favor is that every Igor team I've seen so far is at least trying to interpret the blues rhythm in the SD, whereas a number of other teams seem to only bother interpreting the second rhythm. There's even been variety in the kind of blues they're interpreting.

chapis

"People" didn't complain much about this team their first year together, when they finished around fifth at US Nationals. The hating really got going in subsequent years when an improved Chock and Bates passed some teams and moved up to second in the US. The haters tend to be very, very vocal and determined to dominate the conversation about C/B. I can assure you they would not expend so much effort trying to discredit this team if C/B weren't good enough to pose a threat to their favorites.

I've come to see the haters as a kind of barometer. If the haters are squawking, Madi and Evan must be in pretty good shape.

I know, I support C/B and I love their SD, but if they surpass my Shibs I suddenly will note their poor choreography and lack of chemistry :2faced:

chapis

I know, I support C/B and I love their SD, but if they surpass my Shibs I suddenly will note their poor choreography and lack of chemistry :2faced:

chameleonster

Did they send a bottle of champagne to Shawn Rettstat just curious.
There are two other people on the tech panel. At least two need to agree for every call. C/B clearly really put in the work after the feedback they got from Nebelhorn and Nepela.

They're skating last tomorrow, hope they turn out another great performance and bring home the silver.

Sylvia

TBD
New ISU personal best SD score (76.21) tonight! :cheer: - previous best was 74.47 at 2015 Worlds - and this is the second highest of the season so far. Best wishes to them in the FD tomorrow!

semogal

I really like Madison and Evan's SD. She is such a rock star in it, I really couldn't tell you what Evan did in the dance other than lift her! My eyes were glued to her.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I really like Madison and Evan's SD. She is such a rock star in it, I really couldn't tell you what Evan did in the dance other than lift her! My eyes were glued to her.
:rofl: Yes me too, I had to concentrate when I watched it again to notice what the heck he was doing in the background. She is shining in that SD. They attacked it with lots of energy. Good for them.

firstflight

Evan looks better in the Uptown Funk section than he did at Nebelhorn. Still a ways to go, and he of course has being a lanky, vanilla white guy working against him. But he's headed in the right direction in trying to hit the choreography harder.

kittysk8ts

I really enjoyed both programs this time out. The FD is really growing on me and it was nice to see them so happy in the K&C at Skate Canada :) Well done !

semogal

I looove the FD. And it stands out so much from all of that lyrical mush, twinkling and other traditional fare this season. And Madison is such a rockstar! :cool:

Totally agree. If I had seen one more fake romantic angst program last night, I would have gone into a diabetic coma. Madison and Evan were a life saver, love this program.

kittysk8ts

For both this year's programs, I think it would suit Evan to shave his head. It would make him at least look a little edgier.
As much as I think this is a brilliant idea; I love those beautiful blonds curls :) :) But what a cool idea :)

kittysk8ts

I looove the FD. And it stands out so much from all of that lyrical mush, twinkling and other traditional fare this season. And Madison is such a rockstar! :cool:
I like romantic free dances when they are well done but it bothers me that the judges seems to favour them and i think that compels some teams to stick to that. Although C/B were rewarded for this FD yesterday and I am grateful for it.

topaz

Well, they skated their best this weekend and I think they deserved the gold at Skate Canada. They are not out of the picture for a world medal nor reclaiming their US title. They are right there in the mix.

Good for them. They've had disappointing results for the last two years and this season they have come out swinging. One their best qualities is their competitiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information