The Alexander Petrov Fan Thread

adelia

A very talented young skater I’ve been keeping my eye on. Of all the young, emerging skaters, this one is my favourite. I have very high hopes for him. Sasha was formerly coached by Mishin’s wife and then in 2013 Mishin took over.

Tentative schedule for the rest of the 2014-2015 season:
Volvo Open 5-6 November
Warsaw Cup 20-23 November
JGPF, Barcelona 11-14 December
Russian Nationals 24-28 December
Mishin's winter camp 4th-14th January
Russian Junior Nationals 4-7 February
Junior Worlds, Tallinn Est 2-8 March

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have only seen one performance by Petrov, and I am hoping that he will rise to the top. There has been a drought of top quality men in Russia, in the singles.

Sylvia

TBD
Petrov's current ISU personal best scores are from his first JGP this season in Slovenia in late August (silver medal):
SP (74.59): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-uyCmsdHFk
FS (141.74): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uIm7J6cpWk
Link to his ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014092.htm

He scored 74.49 in his Senior SP (3A, 3F+3T hop, 3Lz) at Volvo Open Cup today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bklsEdL_nrM

(Note: His 74.91 SP and 156.79 FS at 2014 Cup of Nice that won the Senior Men's gold (231.70) last month does not count for ISU PB/SB because it's not a Challenger event.)

Last edited:

adelia

So he is eligible for worlds 2016 but not 2015....?
I think he is eligible, he turned 15 before July 2014. But IIRC Russia only has 2 spots for the men so I doubt they will send him. Unless of course he finishes top 2 at Senior Nationals, then anything is possible.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think he is eligible, he turned 15 before July 2014. But IIRC Russia only has 2 spots for the men so I doubt they will send him. Unless of course he finishes top 2 at Senior Nationals, then anything is possible.

I don't think he can match Kovtun and Voronov jumpwise (quads) but in a couple of years he could become a contender for an Olympic berth 2018. At least I hope so.

adelia

I don't think he can match Kovtun and Voronov jumpwise (quads) but in a couple of years he could become a contender for an Olympic berth 2018. At least I hope so.
He should have a quad in his program by next season. Currently he is working on 4T and 4L but Mishin will only include it when it is consistent.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
He should have a quad in his program by next season. Currently he is working on 4T and 4L but Mishin will only include it when it is consistent.

4L- is that loop or lutz? (I use R for the loop to avoid confusion)

love_skate2011

Banned Member
huge score and PB for Petrov :eek:
did he land a quad ? that beats Boyang and Shoma's scores

rr5riv.jpg

adelia

No quad.
New PBs for SP, LP and overall total this weekend at the Warsaw Cup.
Sasha has improved by leaps and bounds this season, his PB has improved by over 20 points (combined total) and this is still without a quad.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
No quad.
New PBs for SP, LP and overall total this weekend at the Warsaw Cup.
Sasha has improved by leaps and bounds this season, his PB has improved by over 20 points (combined total) and this is still without a quad.

with a score like that even without a quad
then he will challenge Boyang and Uno for JGPF and JW titles

adelia

with a score like that even without a quad
then he will challenge Boyang and Uno for JGPF and JW titles
I am certain that he will finish on the podium for both events. The colour of the medal will depend on PCS and GOE. Sasha is the most consistent of the three.

adelia

No major errors in the free skate but still his lowest score of the entire season. 137.

Why? Because PCS dropped by an amazing 11 points since the Warsaw Cup. From 74 to 63. SEVEN whole points lower than his season average of 70. You have to go back to the 2012/2013 season to find such low PCS marks for Sasha.

PCS marks alone cost him the silver, and had it not been for Boyang's help, Sasha would have been off the podium entirely, which is undoubtedly the intention behind those marks.

Very dirty, shameful judging.

Last edited:

adelia

Russian Nationals SP: 76.87. 6th place currently, he will be the final skater in the last group for tomorrow's LP.
No major errors according to those present. I could not find a stream so I didn't watch it.

Both Sasha and Mishin are generally satisfied with his performance. He was sick last week so he only began training 2 days ago.

adelia

It was like he was running on an empty tank today. :( I've never seen his LP this bad in recent seasons. I hope Mishin revises his schedule for next season. NINE competitions between August and December is just crazy. No wonder he had a high fever.

adelia

75.28 after the SP at Junior Worlds.
Currently in third position. Second to fifth are very very close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo2fDg3RZMA (mum and sister @ 3m43s in the video)

He will be the final skater for the FS.
In interviews, Sasha mentioned that he was sick before the competition. :(

adelia

It's been awhile since I've updated this.
This season Sasha joins the senior circuit. Can't express how pleased I am. :)
He's been assigned Skate Canada and TEB!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information