#2 KAETLYN OSMOND : CANADA'S SWEETHEART

clarie

I seem to recall that the Hughes ladies weren't exactly tiny waifs, in fact they were much larger around than Kaetlyn. She's actually very slim in person.

Emdee

KO is extremely slim in person as is Tessa. It is really awful that some skaters have legs like sticks. Core strength and strength training is key to hold jumps!

WanderlustTO

I seem to recall that the Hughes ladies weren't exactly tiny waifs, in fact they were much larger around than Kaetlyn. She's actually very slim in person.

I don't know about Emily, but Sarah wasn't large at all. She was very small. It's just tv making some body types look thicker than they actually are. Like you said, Kaetlyn is very slim, too. Most (all?) figure skaters at that level are.

Jiazumi

KO is extremely slim in person as is Tessa. It is really awful that some skaters have legs like sticks. Core strength and strength training is key to hold jumps!

? How is that awful? So people can't have skinny arms legs and be healthy and phenomenal at what they do? Most Asian and European skaters fall into this category, that's why I'm confused.

BTW, Kae looked slimmer at the OLYS. I'm glad she got back in shape after her time out.

clarie

I haven't been able to find anything about her practices. I guess she's too far under the radar to bother with and that's ok.....no pressure.

cbd1235

? How is that awful? So people can't have skinny arms legs and be healthy and phenomenal at what they do? Most Asian and European skaters fall into this category, that's why I'm confused.

BTW, Kae looked slimmer at the OLYS. I'm glad she got back in shape after her time out.

It can be difficult to watch when a skater is as skinny as Yuko Kavaguti or Vera Bazarova for example, maybe that's the extent to which the poster was referring.

There are a couple skaters on the world scene so skinny that you're fearful to look at them because you think they're going to snap in half. Those kinds of skaters are few and far between though.

TheIronLady

Vera provides me with thinsperation, but she needs some of Kaetlyn's muscle. She has some problems completing the jumps.

fan

Vera provides me with thinsperation, but she needs some of Kaetlyn's muscle. She has some problems completing the jumps.

"thinspiration" is what is wrong with the world. vera has openly struggled with eating disorders - this isn't something to envy. kaetlyn is strong and healthy - much more something i'd want to emulate.

cbd1235

"thinspiration" is what is wrong with the world. vera has openly struggled with eating disorders - this isn't something to envy. kaetlyn is strong and healthy - much more something i'd want to emulate.

Not to get off topic too much, but I didn't know that about Vera. There's a lot of extra pressure on pair girls to stay really thin.

Emdee

It can be difficult to watch when a skater is as skinny as Yuko Kavaguti or Vera Bazarova for example, maybe that's the extent to which the poster was referring.

There are a couple skaters on the world scene so skinny that you're fearful to look at them because you think they're going to snap in half. Those kinds of skaters are few and far between though.

I do find it difficult to watch when there is no form or figure to their legs and wonder whether its part of their food habits that have caused it.
I know that Asians can have really skinny legs but they can put down a lot of food. Have good asian friends.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Man that layback spin!!! But holy crap she nailed the jumps this time! Woohoo! Bring on the free!

clarie

Good for her on the upgraded jumps, and too bad about the spin I'm hearing about and can't wait to see the vids...................I'm too lazy to get up early to watch. I hope she nails her LP.

Really

I need a new title
Yes, too bad about the spin. Just a wee bit of adrenalin after the successful jumps? Still, she brought the show to the fans and gave it everything. Well done, girl!

Emdee

I cannot wait to see her at CSOI.
Love, love her skating. So exuberant and dynamic. And that gorgeous smile!

shine

What can I say, I love this girl. That performance in the SP was just BRILLIANT. Sooooo proud of her!

I thought her PCS was pretty low for what she did, but she was absent for most of the season and the layback was sort of disruptive. But if she keeps doing well like this, it'd be a crime to not reward her with PCS that are at least 1 point higher in each category, considering what some other skaters are getting.

Emdee

After being out of most of the season that was great.
Hopefully she will have a great year with no injuries going forward.

La La Candy

I cannot wait to see her at CSOI.
Love, love her skating. So exuberant and dynamic. And that gorgeous smile!

I agree! She is a shining star and in my opinion has 'all the goods' required to become a World Champion. Hoping she stays injury free and I so look forward to watching her reach her potential!! She really is a joy to watch. My only criticism is that I'm not really a fan of her programs this year. Would love to see something a little more refined...programs that capture all her spark, but in a more sophisticated presentation.

hohoho

I think that is what makes Kaetlyn is her "raw" performance. Yes there can be some refinement, but hopefully not too constrained so he does all these mellow generic programs that all the other skaters do.

cbd1235

Unbelievable skate from Kaetlyn. I understand she lost quite a few points on the layback, receiving less than 0.5 for it, but I thought the program would have scored a little higher. The jumps were money and that 3F-3T was world champion quality. Great charisma, glad to see the Japanese audience really getting into the performane.

If she keeps this up, she'll be a fierce contender for the top in a year or two :)

clarie

AFAIC, she is the only female skater who really shows her enjoyment in the sport, and the only one I really enjoy watching. Others may have more or better tech than her but she sure knows how to sell a program even if she makes a mistake. The rest will come but the "selling" for most is hard to come by. I can't stand tinkly princess music and so far she hasn't used anything like that, thank goodness.

girlscouse62

clarie, I love your reference to "tinkly princess music". It describes some of the music used to perfection. I particularly dislike the "fluttery" hand movements people do when they skate bird programmes. Love, love this girl. I hope she maintains her obvious joy in her profession. Wonderful and heartening to watch.

La La Candy

I think that is what makes Kaetlyn is her "raw" performance. Yes there can be some refinement, but hopefully not too constrained so he does all these mellow generic programs that all the other skaters do.

Yes, that's what I mean, material that captures all her spark, but in a more sophisticated presentation. I loved her bollywood/indian themed short program. It was brilliant and captured everything that is so wonderful about her skating. When I hear the word 'it girl', that makes me think of Osmond. I also have to say that I never feel anxious when she skates. She shows zero nerves.

luna_skater

Can someone describe what happened on the layback? I missed the skate and can't watch any videos online at the moment.

cbd1235

AFAIC, she is the only female skater who really shows her enjoyment in the sport, and the only one I really enjoy watching. Others may have more or better tech than her but she sure knows how to sell a program even if she makes a mistake. The rest will come but the "selling" for most is hard to come by. I can't stand tinkly princess music and so far she hasn't used anything like that, thank goodness.

If you're looking for joy then you can also take a look at Akiko Suzuki's SP. Her and Kaetlyn are easily the top ladies with regard to pure joyous skating where you can just tell they love what they're doing :)

Luna_skater: basically she got spun out of the layback right off the bat, rocking back and forth on her blade from toe to heel and traveling to China on the ice. She tried to recoup and do a side-layback but she couldn't regain control and had no speed left. After that she stopped the spin, there was a pause to let the music catch up, then she went on with the program like there was no mistake. The layback rightly got level basic

shine

I'd also add Carolina Kostner to the skating with joy category, ever since the 2010 season. But I agree Kaetlyn is probably the most vivacious and dynamic skater to have come along in a long time!

hirtmoles31

Unbelievable skate from Kaetlyn. I understand she lost quite a few points on the layback, receiving less than 0.5 for it, but I thought the program would have scored a little higher. The jumps were money and that 3F-3T was world champion quality. Great charisma, glad to see the Japanese audience really getting into the performane.

If she keeps this up, she'll be a fierce contender for the top in a year or two :)

She seems to need something extra to get the judges to notice her. I am not sure what this is though.

hirtmoles31

It was great to see her doing a harder triple-triple than she had ever done. That shows she knows she needs to up the ante technically to contend in the future which is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information