Adelina Sotnikova uber thread

bronwynsings

I won't say how I feel about the results as I have not seen them yet, but I feel badly for Adelina. All this controversy surrounding what should be the greated night of her life, and she's still so young. And from now on when she skates, she might feel that she has to prove herself, and she was already a headcasey skater to begin with. I really hope people stop blaming her for what the judges might have done.

Johnny_Fever

This morning they said Kim makes 14 million a year. Its someone else's turn. Sotnikova seems like a nice kid.

PashaFan

So happy for her.
She is not my favourite skater but she skated so well for the Gold.
After being left out of the team event she wanted to prove herself & she did.
Just because this result was close does not mean she does not deserve this.
A Russian girl won in Russia because she EARNED it......on the ice.

fenway2

I won't say how I feel about the results as I have not seen them yet, but I feel badly for Adelina. All this controversy surrounding what should be the greated night of her life, and she's still so young. And from now on when she skates, she might feel that she has to prove herself, and she was already a headcasey skater to begin with. I really hope people stop blaming her for what the judges might have done.

Adelina probably doesn't know there is a controversy over her win. She's in a bubble right now at the Olympics being surrounded by screaming Russians telling her how wonderful she is.

MrLucky

So happy for her.
She is not my favourite skater but she skated so well for the Gold.
After being left out of the team event she wanted to prove herself & she did.
Just because this result was close does not mean she does not deserve this.
A Russian girl won in Russia because she EARNED it......on the ice.

Adelina gave it everything she had and held nothing back. I always wondered what her scoring potential would be if she skated this way and went clean.

Now I know the answer and if she received a hometown boost so have many other skaters over the years.
I have followed Adelina since she was 12 and thought several years ago she would win the OGM in Sochi. Yes, doubts crept in the last year or two as she struggled with a growth spurt and lost her consistency. But the talent was always there and now we also know she has the heart of a champion.

Everyone has their favorites but Adelina really skated great. Could the podium order have been different? Sure, a different panel or a different location could have changed the results.

But what won't ever change is that Adelina, skating under the brightest of lights had the skate of her young life.
I am happy for her and look forward to seeing her skate at Worlds and continuing her career next season.

I forgot to mention this - but holy cow, Adelina has such big jumps!

berthesghost

Adelina probably doesn't know there is a controversy over her win. She's in a bubble right now at the Olympics being surrounded by screaming Russians telling her how wonderful she is.
Seriously? At the Olympics? With all of those mics shoved in faces? Anywho....
She steered clear of any judging controversy.

"Any questions are for the judges, not for me. I did my job. I gave a gift to Russia," said a jubilant Sotnikova, who had nervously paced the corridors backstage and was seen biting her fist as she waiting for Kim to finish her programme.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/20/olympics-figureskating-women-idUSL6N0LP50G20140220

fenway2

Seriously? At the Olympics? With all of those mics shoved in faces? Anywho....http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/20/olympics-figureskating-women-idUSL6N0LP50G20140220
While you're at it, find the quote by Adelina saying she's on cloud nine and it's the best day of her life. Like Ashley Wagner said, paraphrasing here, the world could blow up and she wouldn't know because all the athletes are in a bubble. If it took Oksana 8 years to realize that her win was controversial, then yeah I can believe that less than 12 hours after her win, Adelina is unaware of the massive outrage over her victory especially when she's surrounded by Russians. The realization will come in time but I doubt it's registered yet.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Lol. Scott is such an idiot,

Scott keeps FORGETTING how he WON his OGM with one of the WORST SKATES in olys hystory(scott said it was a good thing the JUDGES remeber who he was lol!) Guess he doesn't think men figure skating took *three steps backwards* when the JUDGES GIFTED HIM with a Gold Medal for his MEDIOCRE OLYS skate lol!:D Really,he has no business criticizing anyone. They are already sucking up to South Korea lol!

:huh: Scott agreed with the result. Dr.Siouxs said it was a step back. Unless that's Scott Hamilton.

olympic

Congrats, Adelina.

But her win is on par w/ Annett Poetzsch and Oksana Baiul, a head scratcher that will fuel sniping, a bit of controversy and never be embraced by a sizable minority

berthesghost

She's in a kinda lose/lose situation. If she retires, she'll get the fluke treatment from now on. If she continues, she'll be under an unflattering microscope that shredded Hughes and Meisner. Or maybe she's the new Kat Witt. I doubt it, but one can hope.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I thought she deserved the win. Yuna didn't seem to care, though she was lovely. :shuffle:

MrLucky

She's in a kinda lose/lose situation. If she retires, she'll get the fluke treatment from now on. If she continues, she'll be under an unflattering microscope that shredded Hughes and Meisner. Or maybe she's the new Kat Witt. I doubt it, but one can hope.

So you know, PUTIN IS VERY HAPPY and my guess is that Adelina is looking at a win-win situation for herself and her family.
In Russia she is the "Golden Girl" and Russia is a big place. ;)

"In a message published on the Kremlin's website, Putin said Sotnikova "won and conquered the height that our figure skating team has been working for long years ... the whole Russia is proud of you."

"The president also issued an official congratulation for Sotnikova on Thursday night."

http://news.yahoo.com/putin-sotniko...lYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1NNRTQwMV8x

Last edited:

crs

Yep. I was criticizing Scott for so easily agreeing with the result. I think crs misunderstood me.

maybe lol! but seriously dear Scott probably won because of his BODY OF WORK LOL! He was TECHNICALLY OUSKATED by Adelina and company,that's how AWFUL he was lol1

tarotx

She better continue, she has a lot of ability to grow. I would like to see that. She has a lot of talent. She can make her mark as an individual and even if she doesn't perform as well again she can get herself memorable. Perhaps she should skip worlds though.

crs

Yes,but that's not her problem.

berthesghost

So you know, PUTIN IS VERY HAPPY and my guess is that Adelina is looking at a win-win situation for herself and her family.
In Russia she is the "Golden Girl" and Russia is a big place. ;)
I hope you're right. I'm too jaded. USFS has a habit of not treating it's winners like "golden girls" as does Russia IMO (Maria won 99 worlds, Russia's first win, yet the 00 season seemed to begin with an definite preference for Irina) and already Adelina has spoken about feeling slighted by a preference for Julia. This was a big win and I hope she can ride the wave and not become the next Poetzch.

zippy

I loved this line from a Slate article:

Kim had an excess of poise and maturity, and Sotnikova had an excess of energy. Kim left the ice looking like she’d completed an assignment and Sotnikova left as if the bodies of her competitors were strewn all over it, a tableau of bloodstained tulle and broken feathers.

Adelina was on fire in the short and long! It was such an exciting ladies final and I'm kind of sad people can't relax a bit about the results and recognize what Adelina accomplished at these Games. As for those saying she was helped along by the Russian audience, well, it didn't really seem to help Lipnitskaya. A home crowd is its own kind of pressure and she stood up to it. All three medalists were incredible and I hope people can take a step back and remember this as the great Olympic final that it was.

crs

I loved this line from a Slate article:

Adelina was on fire in the short and long! It was such an exciting ladies final and I'm kind of sad people can't relax a bit about the results and recognize what Adelina accomplished at these Games. As for those saying she was helped along by the Russian audience, well, it didn't really seem to help Lipnitskaya. A home crowd is its own kind of pressure and she stood up to it. All three medalists were incredible and I hope people can take a step back and remember this as the great Olympic final that it was.

julia is my fave,but I recognize how difficult it was for somebody with nerve problems like adelina to skate like that under such pressure. kim never had to win an olympic medal in south korea.

crs

I thought she deserved the win. Yuna didn't seem to care, though she was lovely. :shuffle:

Her *I already have a gold medal* remarks makes me wonder about Yuna's decision to compete here. I don't know if her fed asked her to compete or she was bored and decided to give the olys another try.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It must be hard to motivate oneself after winning the OGM, no matter at what age. Adelina has a lot of room to improve artistically, so I hope she will stick around for at least 2 more years, may be longer.

miki88

I hope Adelina stays and proves herself more. I remember being very impressed with her when she was dominating the junior field. I liked her Swan Lake program. I wish she could go back to more classical programs. She needs better packaging and choreography because she has some really good qualities. Her long program was really strange. I think they were going the avant-garde route, but it just appeared bizarre to me. Regardless, I find the outrage aimed at her personally to be over the top. She did really well and congrats to her.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I know I'm very late. I've just been so busy. Congratulations to Adelina!!!! I've been in love with her since she skated TAT's programs in the junior field. Yes, she has things to work on from now but it is true she's a so much wonderful skater. I'm happy she finally delivered two clean programs in front of the people in her country. I'm proud of her. Please don't be bothered by the crappy media etc and lose motivation to progress as a matured skater. Adelina have to save me after Mao and Caro retire. :D :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information