alilou's Adventures in Wonderland - all over the map.

sk8pics

Well isn't that interesting. You're the second person today to recommend Rohr's book to me. Better go look at it!

:lol::lol: Must be a sign. Some people like that book, some don't. Rohr would probably say it's neither all good nor all bad. I met him once. A friend of mine is a good friend of his. Really interesting guy.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Never fear, alliou.
Your blog is complete enough for me.
I believe it will make a wonderful book, as the opportunity arrives.

I'm having a great time following your "journey" and "discoveries", in every sense of those terms; wherever they lead you.
"Travel" can mean many things!
Yes, travel means so many things - we all travel, whether we leave home or not.
Thank you so much for your encouragement and support :cheer: I do still think a book will be birthed from the blog and our adventures, I just have to let it arise in its own time instead of trying to make things happen. I'm feeling much more peaceful.

:lol::lol: Must be a sign. Some people like that book, some don't. Rohr would probably say it's neither all good nor all bad. I met him once. A friend of mine is a good friend of his. Really interesting guy.
I had a look at his book on Amazon, read some quotes, reviews, etc. I think I might enjoy it very much, if only as a confirmation that we're already living what he writes about. I think so anyway.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thanks BittyBug. I always so much appreciate hearing when someone has connected with what I've written. It's a labor of love that's for sure. I can't not do it, but having it resonate for others is the icing on the cake. Thank you.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Next blog post is ready - about our travels in Patagonia, a truly fabulous and special part of the world. The shrieking shack (with apologies to JK Rowling), oh and a few mountains and glaciers.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Breathtakingly beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us!
Thanks sk8pics. It's such an amazing place. I could't believe the colour of some of the lakes - such intense blues.
Great pics as usual Alilou. Thanks for sharing. :respec:
Thanks Buzz, my pleasure. Glad you enjoyed it. We were blown away (sometimes literally lol) by our whole Patagonia adventure.
You bring the "Patagonian Experience" vividly to life, in every way.
Thanks skatesindreams. It was a really special experience - there's so much in that part of the world that's really magnificent. We are very lucky to have been able to go there - I hope you enjoyed tagging along :)

Alilou

Ubercavorter
There are two new posts on the blog

This Nomadic Life - A new found enthusiasm for life
direct link: http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2...found-enthusiasm-for-life-and-for-travelling/

And the final post in the series about Patagonia, that amazing part of the world that is the very southern part of South America - use the sig line link as usual.

We are now in the far north of Chile about to head into the Andes in Bolivia. The adventure continues . . . . . . .

skatesindreams

Your "horizons" are forever expanding!
That seems especially true for Don.

How amazing your adventure/narrative'photos of "the end of the world" are!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thanks skatesindreams. We've both opened up so much due to this ongoing journey, in so many ways.
Patagonia was truly fabulous. I'm glad you enjoyed the descriptions/pics of our time there. It is a really special place for sure.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
It seems like it's been a while, but I finally have two new blog posts done.

The first is a new This Nomadic Life post and is about a series of mishaps that we couldn't have dreamed up if we'd tried.
direct link: http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2013/12/25/this-nomadic-life-merry-christmas/

And there's a new travel post about our journey from Mendoza, Argentina across the Andes to Santiago, Chile and up the coast through the Atacama Desert to Antofagasta. The link in my sig line will get you there.

Happy New Year everyone! We are celebrating in Cusco, Peru which is, according to two guys from Lima who we met today, the best place in Peru for bringing in the new year :cheer2:

skatesindreams

Thank you very much, as always!
Your journey continues to be fascinating and remarkable.

May it continue into 2014 - and beyond.
Happy New Year!

sk8pics

Happy New Year, ali! And thanks again for all the remarkable pictures and for sharing your journey with us. I smiled at your "let it go" comments.

Japanfan

Best of 2014 to you and Don, Alilou.

Your post made me laugh. It is hard not to get downright miserable when certain things go wrong at times, especially if one is uncomfortable or threatened in some way.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thank you very much, as always!
Your journey continues to be fascinating and remarkable.

May it continue into 2014 - and beyond.
Happy New Year!
Thanks skatesindreams. Yes, it pretty much fascinates us too :lol: every now and then we wonder what on earth we're doing, but there's nothing else that really resonates for us so we just keep moving forward. Sometimes it's fascinating and exciting and awe inspiring, and sometimes we get weary, or things go "wrong" just like ordinary life - like yesterday when I got a lunchtime dose of food poisoning :scream: so spent NYE very closet to the potty :) So much for going out celebrating.

Happy New Year, alilou! :)
Same to you rosewood. May 2014 be the best year ever!

Happy New Year, ali! And thanks again for all the remarkable pictures and for sharing your journey with us. I smiled at your "let it go" comments.
Thanks so much, and Happy new year to you too sk8pics. Life, it seems, keeps challenging us with all our attachments :D so it's either let go or suffer :lol:

Best of 2014 to you and Don, Alilou.

Your post made me laugh. It is hard not to get downright miserable when certain things go wrong at times, especially if one is uncomfortable or threatened in some way.
Oh I'm so glad it made you laugh. That's what I was hoping for. It was such a ridiculous unexpected string of events, just one after the other, that laughing was the only option really, though I had trouble doing that when I thought there was something wrong with my laptop. Thank goodness we figured out fairly quickly what it was.
Hope 2014 is spectacular for you and Mr Japanfan. See you in March!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Once again there are new posts on the blog.

The first gives a link to an interview we gave on another travel blog - about our nomadic life
http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/this-nomadic-life-another-interview/

The second is about our 4x4 overland journey through the incredibly beautiful high desert of Bolivia
http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2014/01/20/unboliviable-the-high-desert-and-altiplano-of-bolivia/
(or use the link in my sig line)

It was only a three day journey but definitely one of the highlights of our time in South America. Scenery to make your heart melt :swoon:

orientalplane

Mad for mangelwurzels
Ali, sensational photos of the vast, strange and wonderful place that is Bolivia. I especially love the lake with a reflection of the mountain beyond, and the rock formation that looks like a huge, weird mushroom that's suddenly sprouted out of the sand. :inavoid: Great interview too; you describe so well the both the enormous appeal and the many difficulties of living the life you've chosen. Don seems to have captured, or perhaps allowed is a better word, the way into mindfulness that I have never been able to achieve. :(:) I shall never think about South America in the same way again. Having never been anywhere close, I'd rather filed away in my head at least the southern half as endless prairies covered in pampas grass. :lol: Your words and pictures have opened my eyes and my mind. :) Thank you so much for sharing it all with us.

sk8pics

Ali,
I can't believe how beautiful those pictures are of the desert in Bolivia! I had to pause a look a long time at many of them . The one below your paragraph about the music is surreal! And I love the one of the 3 kids posing. You are amazing and I love seeing the world through your eyes on your travels. I think you could publish a wonderful book! Thank you for sharing all of this with us.

Rosie's comments are so true as well.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Ali, sensational photos of the vast, strange and wonderful place that is Bolivia. I especially love the lake with a reflection of the mountain beyond, and the rock formation that looks like a huge, weird mushroom that's suddenly sprouted out of the sand. :inavoid: Great interview too; you describe so well the both the enormous appeal and the many difficulties of living the life you've chosen. Don seems to have captured, or perhaps allowed is a better word, the way into mindfulness that I have never been able to achieve. :(:) I shall never think about South America in the same way again. Having never been anywhere close, I'd rather filed away in my head at least the southern half as endless prairies covered in pampas grass. :lol: Your words and pictures have opened my eyes and my mind. :) Thank you so much for sharing it all with us.

Thanks so much OP. It was such an incredibly beautiful and extraordinary landscape. So glad to be able to share it. The whole journey through South America has been (and continues to be) really special, but those three days travelling through the Bolivian High Desert and salt flats (salt flats come in the next post) were definitely a highlight :swoon: :swoon:
Glad you enjoyed the interview - we always love doing them because it makes us really think about how the journey has changed us, and it certainly has changed us, a lot. Don's a wise old soul :)

Ali,
I can't believe how beautiful those pictures are of the desert in Bolivia! I had to pause a look a long time at many of them . The one below your paragraph about the music is surreal! And I love the one of the 3 kids posing. You are amazing and I love seeing the world through your eyes on your travels. I think you could publish a wonderful book! Thank you for sharing all of this with us.

Rosie's comments are so true as well.

Thanks sk8pics, I must admit I can't stop looking at them myself - such beauty we travelled through. I also love that same photo below the paragraph about the music, and another favourite of mine is the one of the vicuñas. It is a great pleasure to share it - there is so much beauty in the world, especially including those joyous children who were having so much fun playing on the old trains. And the music! That was such a joy for me - all that music from my youth that I hadn't heard for years. I can't remember when I've sung so much! Except to Whitney Houston - trying to sing along with I will always love you? Waaaaaaay beyond my abilities, but I can pitch match great to Simon and Garfunkel :)

I believe there will be books coming. I feel as if we have enough material for several books.

skatesindreams

Echoing all the thoughts shared about your Bolivian idyll.
It is surely a place I'd never experience without your generosity.

Amazing and unexpected, what else need be said?

The photos are magnificent --- oh, the flamingos!.

I'm so glad the books are "percolating".
Your audience awaits!

The interview was great, also.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
:cheer::cheer: And I know just who to give a copy to! ;)

:cheer: I do hope he enjoys it ;) but first we gotta produce it :)

Echoing all the thoughts shared about your Bolivian idyll.
It is surely a place I'd never experience without your generosity.

Amazing and unexpected, what else need be said?

The photos are magnificent --- oh, the flamingos!.

I'm so glad the books are "percolating".
Your audience awaits!

The interview was great, also.

Percolating is a very good word for the books - like for a year or two ;) I just know one day we'll say okay now it's time to do that.

Bolivia was truly incredible - what a journey that was. Exactly as you said - amazing and unexpected. So very glad we decided to do it and not let fear stop us.

BelleBway

a monkey stole my title
So envious of you as I try to piece together my travel budget and time planning... ;) Always love seeing your posts and gorgeous photography.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
So envious of you as I try to piece together my travel budget and time planning... ;) Always love seeing your posts and gorgeous photography.

Thanks so much Belle. I think I'd be envious of me too lol - somehow we got lucky. It does feel sometimes as if we won the lottery.
Where are you off to next? Wherever, I bet it will be fabulous - still remember reading about your Africa stories. And the monkey!

I'm sure he will, once it exists! I'm going to help him with some web stuff/blogging today.

Say hi for me :) - a bit belated. I've been a bit slack keeping up with this thread :shuffle:

Anyway - there are two new posts ready

A new one about the inner journey - don't believe everything the mind tells you!
http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2014/01/25/this-nomadic-life-mind-stories/

And another post about unbelievable Bolivia
http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2...and-bowler-hats-uyuni-and-copacabana-bolivia/

sk8pics

Amazing again! Glad you are doing better. And again, I can't thank you enough for sharing your adventure with us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information