The GAY thread

VGThuy

Of course. But I'd rather have the tyranny of the majority than fascism or meritocracy.

Those aren't the only choices, however. Not only that, but oftentimes, the most oppressive systems came into power through majority rule and the "democratic process" left unchecked.

I think it's faulty to think that the legislature is the only branch of government in which the democratic process is expressed. The legislature often behaves in ways that may be against public opinion as whole but individual members of the legislature are re-elected due to a great many outside factors that I won't bring up in this thread. I think something is to be said that have a check on the legislature, which the judicial branch can provide by striking down laws that are indeed violations of protected rights or are highly discriminatory towards historically-vulnerable populations who really do not have political power to affect change through the political process.

You do bring up great points, however, about the problems of judicial activism and how 9 (or how many ever) people can make grand sweeping changes that a country may not be ready for (or maybe will never be ready for). However, judges are oftentimes very conservative and uphold most things. In the U.S., anyway, the judicial branch tends to only strike down laws when they are highly egregious in some way and the justices of the high court only agree to hear arguments from like less than 1 percent of all the cases presented to them. Lower courts tend to be even more conservative.

Last edited:

dots

Has anyone been watching the show Looking with Jonathan Groff?

It's an ok show, not great, but it's nice to have another gay show airing on tv. I hope season two has one hour episodes though, 30 mins is way to short for a show like this.

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
Has anyone been watching the show Looking with Jonathan Groff?

It's an ok show, not great, but it's nice to have another gay show airing on tv. I hope season two has one hour episodes though, 30 mins is way to short for a show like this.

I was reserving judgment on "Looking" to see if it became too stereotypical (like so many other gay characters on TV). So far, so good. I like it.

BigB08822

I watched one episode of Looking and couldn't care less about it. I will probably try to catch another episode or two just in case it got better but I didn't care for the lack of story line or the lack of character development. I didn't care about any of them. That could easily change in the coming episodes though so I do want to give it another try.

dots

Well the third episode was the first time I actually felt connected to this show. For once the characters were likable.

Russell Tovey and Scott Bakula bring a more human feel to this show. I want to say they add much needed warmth and personality.

Tovey & Groff have amazing chemistry. :watch:

Ziggy

The biggest gay icon ever (gives PeterG a *very* dirty look ;)) is back with a new single!!! :cheer:

Kylie Minogue "Into the Blue"

It's a really fun and slick pop song and it's very Kylie. I have to say I am a little underwhelmed, however. Her best stuff was forward-thinking and a little edgy and this is just too safe and bland. I much preferred "Skirt" which she dropped on Beatport back in August (it wasn't a proper single, more like a taster kind of thing to ensure she keeps getting played in gay clubs ;)).

---

VIETgrlTerifa - I agree with you on all points. I am just concerned about judges abusing their power, that is all. I'd rather that door wasn't opened but then I recognise the argument that basic rights should be guaranteed and not subject to politicians' whims.

Ziggy

You're just boring and joyless. :p

I never got how people can approach music with this kind of black & white attitude. There is a time and place for thoughtful reflection and exploration of new ideas.

There's also a time and place for snogging a random stranger whilst tripping on MDMA. Jon Hopkins or Mogwai wouldn't provide a very suitable soundtrack to that.

Likewise, when cleaning or working out, listening to Baths or Sigur Rós wouldn't contribute to the effectiveness of such endeavours. Quite to the contrary.

And finally, sometimes all you want is just some FUN. On that note, I'm off to dance around the room to Kylie's fabulous new track, so suck it! :glamor:

orientalplane

Mad for mangelwurzels
You're just boring and joyless. :p

Thanks; great thing to say to someone with major depression and suicidal ideation, and don't tell me you didn't know, Ziggy.

Không hơn, tôi có thể không có thêm. Tạm biệt và chúc may mắn. Tôi sẽ không đăng ĐƯỢC nữa.

watchthis!!

Today's google homepage has six sports depicted above each of the letter is "GOOGLE" and the background for each sport and letter is a colour of the rainbow. Below the search box it reads:

"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Reading this makes it seem strange to me that the Olympic organizers chose Russia to host the games when their own charter says that every person deserves to do their sport without discrimination of any kind. :confused:

PeterG

t.A.T.u., Russian Pop Duo, Opening Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Ceremony

The choice of performers is bizarre to say the least. Russia has made headlines with its discriminatory anti-gay laws, while t.A.T.u. famously explored lesbian and gay themes. Katina, 29, and Volkova, 28, first broke out in 2003 with their debut single "All The Things She Said" playing lovers in its music video. (Kissing in the rain while wearing school uniforms, anyone?) The lyrics to the song also touched on homosexuality and bisexuality. (Cher turned down an offer to perform at the Olympics last September because of the country's homophobic laws.)

:huh:

Not only am I glad to not be a gay person in Russia, I'm grateful that I'm not Russian, period.

Dr.Siouxs

Reading this makes it seem strange to me that the Olympic organizers chose Russia to host the games when their own charter says that every person deserves to do their sport without discrimination of any kind. :confused:

The legislation came after Sochi was selected. (not that there weren't already indicators within Russia of anti-gay attitude)

VGThuy

The legislation came after Sochi was selected. (not that there weren't already indicators within Russia of anti-gay attitude)

I think the IOC needs to define which groups of people are considered to be protected from discrimination. The question that still remains is whether LGBTQ persons are included.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
At the beginning of last month, Rory O'Neill (aka drag queen Panti Bliss) appeared on a Saturday night chat show on Irish state broadcaster RTE. In 2015 Ireland will hold a referendum on marriage equality and the conversation turned to a discussion on homophobia. You can read the transcript here.

The reason there is only a transcript and no video online is because the individuals and their lobby group that O'Neill named threatened to sue RTE under Ireland's defamation laws. RTE removed the video from their website, made a public apology on the Saturday night chat show two weeks after the interview took place and paid a settlement of 85,000 euros. This resulted in thousands of complaints being sent to the broadcaster about the apology and the payout, protests and a huge discussion about homophobia and how the word can or can't be used. The issue was also brought up for discussion in the Dail, the Irish parliament.

And then Panti Bliss made this speech at the Abbey Theatre about homophobia that has gone viral and is already being hailed as a huge turning point in Irish LGBT history.

dots

So the fourth episode of Looking aired and it was by far the best one. Scott Bakula is just adorable. I swear he gets better looking with age!

Also Groff and Tovey are great together.

VGThuy

Was that really their intention though? I thought the colors were to represent each of the Olympic rings. Five fingers, five rings, with the colors matching.

dots

Mother declines son’s birthday party invitation with homophobic note

:eek:

They should have phoned her and said, "so Sophia won't be getting a gift from Tommy then"? :lol:

And this article...

Greek winter olympians show russians where they can stick their bigotry

...was probably posted in one of the Olympics threads, but they are so long now that I can't keep up with them. Anyway, cute mitts! :D

Are we sure that's what they meant PeterG ? If so that's pretty amazing! :inavoid:

Today is Valentine's day! I think I'm going to watch a gay old favorite Beautiful Thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information