The Carolina Kostner Thread

Dr.Siouxs

Thoughts on Scheherazade:
*I burst! I'm sekretly:sekret: very pleased that she's kept this program, scandalous costume and all. :swoon: (And for the record I loved and appreciated the authenticity of the first one too, so sue me)
*Whoever suggested Scheherazde as a short program is a nimwit, you cannot capture the rapture and orgasm of Scheherezade in a mere 2 and a half minutes. You need at least four. :drama:

POnderings on Ave Maria.,,.,.,.,...
*First of all, I'd be pleased with a change. "Humoresque" is daring and a tad eccentric for an Olympic program and I do not particularly enjoy the lillsy orchestral version (is has a flattening effect on the composition and I find myself wanting the playfully neurotic piano original).
Had I choreographed the thing, I would have had her pulling a live butterfly from under her dress and presenting it to the audience as a symbol of peace. :encore: Hey if Yagudin can throw clumps of ice in the air then this could work too. :shuffle:

* With this music I still think of Fumie's sweet moment from 2002 Salt Lake, but skating to this in Sochi can be an iconic "watch on repeat" performance from the competition. Oh and one last thing...does the Nobel Prize committee give an award for skating mastery? :swoon:

Last edited:

jiggs

That was stunning! I have never seen her skate like that. I am just astounded.

If you liked Ave Maria, you will probably also like this exhibition to "Va Pensiero" she did at Opera on Ice this year: http://youtu.be/IC5H271tC8Y?t=1m23s

I think this is hands down the best I have seen her skate, I love the grandness of her movements and the soft, flowy skating. I see the same thing in Ave Maria. Hopfefully she will keep it as an exhibition. And I absolutely adore the dress.

pingu

Opera On Ice cannot be scheduled earlier because the Opera season ends in September.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Opera On Ice cannot be scheduled earlier because the Opera season ends in September.
Thank you pingu! It should be the right answer! It can't be helped.
I really really want Caro to be on the podium in Sochi. So I asked the the same question inside of me again and again.
This show is very gorgeous so I'm a fan of this show itself. But it is kinda musical show so skaters have to practice the special programs for it. Nebel is fine since they skate their competitive programs. Also skaters do their own exhibition programs in other shows, i.e. "Imagine" for Caro, so they just skate what they've already practiced.
Caro is a big star in her country, so I assume she feels responsibility for many things such as this show. Now I won't look back and just root for her. Thankx. :)

npavel

Caro skated to Opera on Ice three times now. And these were the best seasons of her carrier. The problem this year is her back pain, witch took away a lot of practice time. I only hope she get healthy soon, than she will skate great. :)

key65man

Her Ave Maria is wonderful. A few dance movements make me sigh in admiration. If only her jumps had been more consistent. She still is my favorite Italian. It would be very nice to see her making the podium in Sochi. More importantly, though, I really hope she leaves a great performance or two in this season. Good luck at the Euros.

lahaa968

Here is P&G's "Thank you mom" with Carolina and her mother. Unfortunately, it's in Italian only ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipc6rhdiO7k

That was so touching. I'm French, so I understood part of it by association, but it was wonderful. So many people are still so hard on Carolina...how quickly they have forgotten the hurdles she has leaped over, going from two disastrous Olympics to World Champion two years later. Muah. Best of luck on the rest of the season. :kickass:

ioana

Am getting soft in my old age. This and Akiko's Nationals win both made me sniffle. Looking forward to seeing Carolina in Budapest :)

MsZem

I see the sea
Not sure if it's been mentioned somewhere already, but take a look at her ISU bio as of today:

Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season 2013/2014
Ave Maria by Franz Schubert
Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season 2013/2014
Bolero by Maurice Ravel

I'd have preferred Mozart, but still - good news!

(hat tip to a GS poster who spotted the update)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Oh, wonderful. Her Bolero program is wonderful. This makes me soooooooo happy. I so want her to win a medal and I don't care what it color.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Best news THIS WHOLE SEASON!!!!! I can't believe it!!! Dreams rarely come true!!!!! Now if she can also keep her black Bolero dress and white Ave Maria dress... :swoon:

This new makes me SO HAPPY! What a perfect send off the Canadian Nationals :D

Marta24

YES! :cheer2:

I loved,loved,loved Bolero and her Ave Maria sp is wonderful,too. They are both much better choices for her,if you ask me.

Jenya

Southern Hemisphere
Not sure if it's been mentioned somewhere already, but take a look at her ISU bio as of today:

Bolero by Maurice Ravel

:cheer2: Fabulous news! Thanks.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Bolero by Maurice Ravel

Wow! Those are major changes after the disastrous GP series. It's really going to help her confidence and make her a contender for the OGM.

MsZem

I see the sea
The reason for the programs being changed, from her FB page:
I withdrew from Italian Nationals because of a back injury. During this time I had some time to think about my programs and I decided to make some changes: different music, different choreography.
I was very interested in keeping Bolero for Olympic year but I wanted the pleasure of the choreographic process and the challenge of a new program. That way I could also choose which one felt better. Due to the time off with my injury I just couldn't get Scheherazade to feel right. Together with Lori Nichol, I decided that I love the tempo, the pacing and the energy of Bolero. The short is new. We both love the Humoresque but some people loved it and some couldn't understand the story. The idea of the the yin and yang of the pure angelic and ethereal Ave Maria and the sensual yet bold Bolero just inspires me every day.

Good luck to her at Euros and the Olympics! :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am one of those who loved 'Humoresque' but it seems it had a limited number of fans. I have not watched her Ave Maria yet but it sounds like a more popular choice.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Ave Maria is absolutely stunning. The potential is there for it to join the ranks of the truly iconic Olympic short programs of all time: Baiul's Black Swan and Kwan's Rach.

Bolero is brilliant, too. I hope Kostner is well enough to have gratifying skates at the Olympics. I'd love for her to medal, but I feel like at this point, she is skating to inspire herself and the medals are somewhat incidental. :)

npavel

She wrote a message for her fans
MESSAGE FROM CAROLINA IN ENGLISH:
Euros are coming up. This year in Budapest, like 10 years ago! I participated then for the Second time and this is going to be my 12th. How exciting. I feel very happy and honoured to be back competing in this beautiful city.
As for my skating, I withdrew from Italian Nationals because of a back injury. During this time I had some time to think about my programs and I decided to make some changes: different music, different choreography.

Short Program: Ave Maria - Schubert
Free Skating: Bolero - Ravel

I was very interested in keeping Bolero for Olympic year but I wanted the pleasure of the choreographic process and the challenge of a new program. That way I could also choose which one felt better. Due to the time off with my injury I just couldn't get Scheherazade to feel right. Together with Lori Nichol, I decided that I love the tempo, the pacing and the energy of Bolero. The short is new. We both love the Humoresque but some people loved it and some couldn't understand the story. The idea of the the yin and yang of the pure angelic and ethereal Ave Maria and the sensual yet bold Bolero just inspires me every day.
Thank you Lori for working with me last minute and for the fun we have on the ice.

I wish all skaters and spectators an amazing European Championship. Keep the fingers crossed:

bronwynsings

I'm a bit sad because I loved Humoresque, but Ave Maria is stunning and I know she can skate it fabulously. I am definitely thrilled by the return of Bolero though!!!

dinakt

Big changes for Carolina!
I also loved Humoresque, I think I "got" where she was going with it, but I am sure Ave Maria will be just as gorgeous, and less controvertial.
Happy about Scheherazade change. Also would have preferred Carolina changed back to Mozart ( that was amazing!!!) but I guess she has the World title with it, and it is the past. Bolero is a good choice as well.
I just hope she is healthy and happy and does her best at Olympics. She is one of the very few who, to me, creates absolute magic on ice. Good luck Caro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information