All Thing PBS

dardar1126

Season 3 of Sherlock premieres on October 31, 2013.....can't wait!!

Is that in the UK? :confused:

If so, we in the US would probably get it about Spring 2014...gonna go check online....:cool:

EDIT: I haven't found anything yet; what is your information source?

Artemis@BC

^ All kinds of rumours, and countdown widget, pointing to Oct 31 in the UK ... but not official yet.

And everyone from Steven Moffat to the Cumberman himself have been lobbying for simultaneous (well, bar the time difference) broadcast in North America, but we'll have to wait to see if that pans out.

dardar1126

^ All kinds of rumours, and countdown widget, pointing to Oct 31 in the UK ... but not official yet.

And everyone from Steven Moffat to the Cumberman himself have been lobbying for simultaneous (well, bar the time difference) broadcast in North America, but we'll have to wait to see if that pans out.

That'd be GREAT! :cheer:

But, as with Downton Abbey, I don't see PBS making that happen. :rolleyes:

dardar1126

dardar1126

Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 1h
More stars on #July4thPBS concert: @MeganHilty @DarrenCriss @MotownMusical John
Williams and Jack Everly

PBS ‏@PBS 1h
Great line-up for 2013 #July4thPBS concert @Tom_Bergeron @BarryManilow @CandiceGlover @ScottyMcCreery @JackieEvancho

:D

dardar1126

I hope ya'll got to see A Capitol 4th on PBS... I liked that it was oldies night--Barry Manilow,Neil Diamond, Motown: The Musical--all classics that took me back to my teen years, and most of the new kids sang old songs, too! :)

paskatefan

^ Loved it! We always watch it. I do wish we got to see the entire Pops Goes the Fourth! concert from Boston in its entirety each year (it used to be aired on A&E/Bravo). In the last few years, one of the Network channels would only air the final hour or so, leading up to the fireworks. This year, nothing - although I wonder if that has to do with the tragedy of the Boston marathon bombings (and a conscious effort to keep things low key & out of the spotlight for this year ?).

dardar1126

^ Loved it! We always watch it. I do wish we got to see the entire Pops Goes the Fourth! concert from Boston in its entirety each year (it used to be aired on A&E/Bravo). In the last few years, one of the Network channels would only air the final hour or so, leading up to the fireworks. This year, nothing - although I wonder if that has to do with the tragedy of the Boston marathon bombings (and a conscious effort to keep things low key & out of the spotlight for this year ?).

I agree...I miss the Boston Pops telecast! :( They had MBTA Transit Officer Richard Donahue (from the Watertown/Boston bomber shoot-out) conduct one of the numbers...he's recovering and on crutches, but he was able to stand for a few minutes...many in the audience were wearing BOSTON STRONG and COLLIER PROUD t-shirts...very moving and uplifting (I saw a video clip). I think the problem with getting a national broadcast is due to trouble getting a corporate sponsor to foot the cost. They barely hung on for those few years when we at least got to see the final hour.

paskatefan

^ That's truly a shame. Thanks for filling in the details of what you did see from the Boston Pops concert. Maybe - next year ...

dardar1126

^ That's truly a shame. Thanks for filling in the details of what you did see from the Boston Pops concert. Maybe - next year ...

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2013/07/05/video-boston-pops-july-4th-fireworks-show-concert-2013/

6 Must-See Videos of the July 4th Boston Pops Concert & Fireworks Display
Lisa DeCanio July 5th 2013, 10:59am

The 40th Annual Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular lived up to its name this year. The 2013 concert and fireworks display was one for the books, filled with both American patriotism and Boston pride. Despite heightened security measures, the crowds swelled, everyone obeyed the rules and the entire evening went off without a hitch.

While the whole show was magical, there were specific moments that stood out at the July 4th show on the Esplanade. From MBTA officer Dic Donohue making an awe-inspiring appearance to the fireworks igniting the Boston skyline, we've rounded up videos of some of the best 4th of July 2013 moments for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

dardar1126

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-st-endeavour-review-20130706,0,5371666.story

Review: 'Endeavour' and its younger Morse are welcome company
'Endeavour' on PBS' 'Masterpiece Mystery' stars Shaun Evans as Morse and Roger Allam as his superior, Fred Thursday. It's an overall enjoyable prequel.

By Robert Lloyd, Los Angeles Times Television Critic
July 6, 2013, 6:30 a.m.

Having last year put a toe in the water with an exploratory pilot and found it fine, "Endeavour" returns to the PBS series "Masterpiece Mystery" Sunday with four new episodes. They are excellent company, even if they sometimes feel too coincidental, complicated, clever or corpse-strewn to be true.

The series is a prequel to the beloved "Inspector Morse" (1987-2000), which starred the late John Thaw as an Oxford-based police detective. (The character's first name provides the new show's title.) While Kevin Whately, who played his old number two, mans the ongoing timeline in the sequel "Inspector Lewis," "Endeavour" jumps back to the mid-'60s, when the future chief inspector was yet a mere detective constable; it keeps the character alive at the same time it feeds our not wholly exhausted taste for midcentury period drama.

Artemis@BC

The Seattle PBS affiliate is repeating season 7 of Foyle's War, no doubt in preparation for season 8 coming in September. I for one can't remember a lot of details about where we left off with Foyle, Sam, and the others, so I'm looking forward to that.

2 episodes this Thursday, and the 3rd episode on the 18th.

dardar1126

For some reason, I've never watched Foyle's War! :shuffle: And I like Michael Kitchen (loved him in the film Enchanted April). I think I'll start watching when Season 8 starts. :)

EDIT: Here's another review of Endeavour...

http://articles.philly.com/2013-07-07/news/40409001_1_inspector-morse-john-thaw-kevin-whately

'Endeavour' on Masterpiece Mystery: Morse the Younger
By Tirdad Derakhshani, Inquirer Staff Writer
POSTED: July 07, 2013

Excerpt:

He prefers to keep company with Mozart , Wagner, and Debussy rather than go out with the lads for a brew.

One thing the young Detective Constable Endeavour Morse most assuredly is not is a lad. Or a dude.

Awkward, socially inept Morse is the brilliant detective featured in the PBS Masterpiece Mystery entry Endeavour, a finely crafted TV series set in the ancient university town of Oxford in the mid-1960s.

The first season, which consists of four feature-length mysteries, premieres at 9 p.m. Sunday and runs on consecutive Sundays through July 28 on WHYY TV12.

Endeavour was commissioned by the ITV network after a one-off TV movie of the same title aired in 2011 to critical and popular acclaim.

Liverpudlian actor Shaun Evans, who reprises his role as Endeavour Morse, said he was pleasantly shocked that ITV picked up the show.

"I never thought it would go any further," Evans said on the phone from London. "Then I got the call that they wanted to make four more." Evans, 33, an impressive, deeply intuitive actor who has made Endeavour Morse very much his own, said a second season already had been green-lighted for next year.

The reason for Endeavour's success isn't hard to divine. It's written with meticulous care, insight, and eye for detail, and it features some of the best British actors, including Roger Allam and Anton Lesser.

But it's Endeavour's provenance makes it all the more fascinating: It's the second spinoff of one of the most beloved TV mysteries from the 1990s, Inspector Morse, which featured the inimitable John Thaw as the title character and Kevin Whately as his oft-mistreated bagman, Sergeant Robert Lewis.

Spareoom

That'd be GREAT! :cheer:

But, as with Downton Abbey, I don't see PBS making that happen. :rolleyes:

Well, they finally made it happen with Doctor Who after years of delayed broadcasting, so there is always hope. Of course, Doctor Who gets financial support from the US now (is it PBS? Or someone else; I don't remember) which has resulted in several episodes being filmed in the US and probably has something to do with simultaneous broadcasting.

dardar1126

Long read:

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/09/these_old_broads_age_class_and_gender_in_call_the_midwife_partner/

TUESDAY, JUL 9, 2013 04:18 PM CDT

“Call the Midwife” defies viewers’ ageism
The BBC series finds beauty in elderly women's bodies -- and offers a corrective to TV's patriarchal subculture
BY STEPHANIE BOWER

This article originally appeared on the L.A. Review of Books.

Excerpt:

JUDGING FROM RECENT cultural exports, Brits have a thing for old broads, the kookier the better. The women who went full-frontal in Calendar Girls were just the first wave of this British invasion, followed by the sweet old maids who ruled Cranford. More recently we’ve had Maggie Smith’s Dowager Countess of Grantham, who consistently upstaged her more glamorous counterparts on Downton Abbey, even when the third season erased the DMZ that separated upstairs from down and defanged the snobbery that was her principal charm.

In Call the Midwife — the popular new BBC costume drama about midwives in post-World War II London just finishing its second season in the US and renewed for a third — it’s Sister Monica Joan who steals the show, an elderly, aristocratic nun with a fondness for sweets, Keats, and astral prophecy. She greets the show’s protagonist Jenny Lee, when Jenny first arrives at the convent Nonnatus House, where nurses and nuns deliver ante and postnatal care to the women of the surrounding tenements, and Sister Monica’s back story provides one of the through lines that give the first season its narrative arc. Another venerable old broad, Vanessa Redgrave, bookends each episode as the voice of an older Jenny, offering sentimentalized reflections about love and loss, her low-throated delivery finding just the right balance between sweetness and schmaltz.

It is through such juxtapositions — between young and old, life and death, past and present, upper and lower, the old-fashioned and the modern — that the show finds its compassionate scope. In a poignant sequence that begins the last episode of season one, Jenny bathes a newborn while Sister Monica Joan stands barefoot at the seaside with only a frail nightshirt to protect her from the morning chill. The eccentricity that before seemed part of Sister Monica Joan’s endearing kookiness here is revealed as full-blown dementia. Redgrave’s voiceover, though, offsets this portrait of mortality by reminding us there is grace in all life’s stages: “Newborns are always beautiful. They can’t fail to make the heart sing, for even the plainest faces are alive with promise. But I’ve always seen beauty in old age too. Light shines through the bone, exquisite even as it flickers and flutters and dims toward the end.”

dardar1126

I really hope y'all are watching Endeavour (the Inspector Morse prequel). I really enjoy it. Shaun Evans brings a nice Sherlockian quality to Morse, and Roger Allam is wonderful as his commander/father figure Inspector Thursday. And Officer Strange and the medical examiner (his name escapes me) are great supporting characters.

I've enjoyed all the episodes (2 so far + the pilot), but I thought last night's episode FUGUE was the best so far! I loved how they wove the opera themes into the plot, the twists and turns of the puzzle, and the action sequences. EXCELLENT!

That episode clinched it...I pre-ordered the DVD. :D

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
One of these days I need to check out Endeavour, if only for Roger Allam. That voice of his makes me :swoon:.

Artemis@BC

I didn't care very much for the pilot episode of Endeavour they aired last year, but I'm liking it a lot more now that it has settled down into a regular (if short) series. Haven't watched last night's yet.

My only quibble so far was in last week's episode when he repeatedly spouted off Sherlockian strings of observations & deductions. It wasn't that it was so completely inconsistent with the style of the elder Morse -- that's easily explained by the age & experience difference. It was that it just seemed to be a blatant attempt to rip off Sherlock.

dardar1126

Twitter:

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 15m
New #mysterypbs video - Preview Endeavour S1E3 "Rocket" - airs Sunday 7/21! http://to.pbs.org/10uxvhe

EDIT:

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 7m
Now available - "The Sherlock Files: The Official Companion to the Hit Television Series" #SherlockPBS http://m.shoppbs.org/product/index....k+book&origkw=Sherlock+book&parentPage=search …

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 18m
NEW #mysterypbs video: Kevin Whately on the future of Inspector Lewis http://to.pbs.org/11bk71K

Last edited:

ioana

My only quibble so far was in last week's episode when he repeatedly spouted off Sherlockian strings of observations & deductions. It wasn't that it was so completely inconsistent with the style of the elder Morse -- that's easily explained by the age & experience difference. It was that it just seemed to be a blatant attempt to rip off Sherlock.

I'm pretty sure the show aired at the same time as Sherlock did in England, so that's an interesting point. I love the prequel, especially the interaction between Morse and Friday. And, Evans is hawt for reasons I can't explain. The smug grin behind the typewriter as he was informed he's off general duty and onto the case...:rollin:

dardar1126

I'm pretty sure the show aired at the same time as Sherlock did in England, so that's an interesting point. I love the prequel, especially the interaction between Morse and Friday. And, Evans is hawt for reasons I can't explain. The smug grin behind the typewriter as he was informed he's off general duty and onto the case...:rollin:

I think you mean Thursday instead of Friday. ;)

And I agree about Shaun Evans...he IS a skinny, blue-eyed, toothy little HOTTIE...and his Liverpudlian accent is to die for!! :swoon: I always go for the shy awkward social misfits! :D

EDIT: via Twitter...

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 40m
RT @JanetRudolph Shaun Evans Endeavor star video: http://tinyurl.com/m56elpj @masterpiecepbs #mysterypbs

Last edited:

ioana

I think you mean Thursday instead of Friday. ;)

haha, yes! He seems more like a weekend than a corporate outing day to me. Thanks for correcting that & posting the interview..will need to watch once I get home.

I still think John Thaw's original comment on Morse is very relevant when it comes to explaining the character's appeal
"Two hours with a miserable sod who likes beer and can’t relate to women?" said Thaw to the executive producer when he was offered the part. “If it’s a flop, I will blame you.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...orse-is-an-enigma-lets-keep-him-that-way.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information