The Carolina Kostner Thread

Vagabond

Big video interview with Carolina on Sky Sport 24:
http://www.operaonice.eu/news/carolina-kostner-su-sky-sport-24.html

Maybe someone can help with the translation of the important/interesting parts? :shuffle:

Here is the interview, not the editorial bits:

When did your love for skating start?

When I was little, my parents took me skating, and I also loved dancing, so when I was four, I started taking skating lessons....

What about the sport thrills you, and what do you find difficult?

The beauty of this discipline and also the combination of athleticism and art. The thing that thrills me is the freedom of movement united with creativity. It leaves room for expression. I also like the jumps. I have more difficulty with spins because they make my head spin.

What has been the most satisfying aspect of the sport for you so far?

Competing twice in the Olympic – regardless of the results – and the medals at Worlds. Other than that, the sport has given my the opportunity to travel and to know people and cultures all over the world.

How did “Opera on Ice” get started and what does it have in store for us?

It was Giulia Mancini’s idea. It was just a dream and, incredibly, it has become reality. It drew a standing ovation before a crowd of 12,000 at the Verona Arena, with a company of 200, including a chorus, an orchestra, and singers and a rink of 800 square meters . . . . It was truly a one-of-a-kind experience! I cannot wait to participate in the next show at the end of September.

How do you confront challenges?

I give the most that I have at the moment; I can’t do anything more than that. There is no guarantee that you will always succeed.

What is your training like? What is your daily regimen?

I do on-ice training sessions of two to three hours twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon or evening. In addition, I do “recovery work,” stretching, yoga, physiotherapy, swimming. I also do off-ice training, in the ballet room, on the sports field, or in the gym.

Whom do you credit for your success so far?

First and foremost, myself, and then the people who have been close to me: my family and my “management.”

Do you like to cook?

Yes, I very much like to cook. I cook almost every day.

What do you like to cook?

In general, I like to eat what is fresh and homemade, but I will eat anything and I am very greedy. I love Grana Padano [a brand of cheese], and find it to be a whole food.

What are your guidelines for cooking?

Simple, fresh, and fast! When I am traveling or between one training session and another, I use protein bars as a meal substitute.

What things are never missing from your dining table?

Water and breadsticks.

What do you do in your spare time?

I’m outdoors, preferably in the mountains of the Alto Adige! Other then that, like every woman my age, I like to go out with friends, I go to movies, I read....

What would you advise someone who wants to take up skating? Is there a right age to start?

In order to compete, it’s advisable to start when very young, but skating can be fun for everyone. It gets you moving, it activates your balance system, and it promotes good health!

In the wintertime in many cities, there are ice rinks for adults and children. Do you have any advice for those who go there?

I recommend wearing warm clothes and protection for the knees, elbows, and head, because when the ice is very crowded, it can be dangerous.

Three pieces of advice for a better life....

Follow your own heart, be humble, and respect nature.

Carolina Kostner, you are a ragazza after my own heart. :swoon:

I wish every young competitive skater could read this.

Last edited:

reut

Vagabond, thank you for the translation. Especially liked her advice.

But actually I hoped to know more about the "Opera on Ice" part, she names there a few skaters, including those who already performed, but also Javier, so I wondered if she was talking about the cast for Opera on Ice 2013.

jiggs

But actually I hoped to know more about the "Opera on Ice" part, she names there a few skaters, including those who already performed, but also Javier, so I wondered if she was talking about the cast for Opera on Ice 2013.

As far as I could understand (but my Italian is not that good) only Carolina, Stéphane, Shizuka and Anna/Luca are already comfirmed. They will have to wait and see if skaters like Evgeni and Javier accept the invitation? I think this is what she said but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Vagabond

You are welcome.

I translated the transcript. I haven't yet watched the video. :shuffle:

Sk8swan

Here is the interview, not the editorial bits:

Carolina Kostner, you are a ragazza after my own heart. :swoon:

I wish every young competitive skater could read this.

Great job Vagabond! What you translated though is not the transcript of the video interview but an interview published on an Italian magazine in January 2012 :)

Sk8swan

As far as I could understand (but my Italian is not that good) only Carolina, Stéphane, Shizuka and Anna/Luca are already comfirmed. They will have to wait and see if skaters like Evgeni and Javier accept the invitation? I think this is what she said but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Exactly! ;)

jiggs

I am cross-posting this from Denis Ten's show thread:

Here is the TV report with Carolina :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OECOeI0WHvU

Also, Carolina's "Imagine":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3GS4jY8AeM

Thanks, reut! What a lovely new exhibition, she is such a powerful yet delicate skater! It also seems to me that she is looking to improve on transitions into her jumps - new entry into both 3sal and 2a. I hope that those will be included in her competition programs too.

Marco

She is one classy lady. Too bad her long program doesn't quite show her best. I hope she does well at Europeans.

spikydurian

I like Caro's skating and really wish she will medal at Olys. Her movements are always so fluid and elegant. Go Caro. Give it your last best shot!

lahaa968

From what I can muster, you are correct, the article states that Carolina is skipping the Universiade but will be competing at Italian Nationals. To the best of my knowledge, the article is suggesting (as many have) that Carolina return to her Bolero program from last season and ditch Scheherazade. The article states that "sources rumor that Kostner is considering switching her free program back to Bolero, as Scheherazade has been done many times by the likes of Kim Yu-Na and now Davis/White this season".

I was just starting to warm up to Carolina's Scheherazade. Though, not going to lie, I would be so thrilled if she brought Bolero back, that program is a masterpiece, and probably her signature program along with Mozart from 2011/12. :swoon:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
It might be wise to go back to Bolero. I want to see Caro skating very well at Sochi. If I can wish one more, please add that spiral in the end of Scheherazade to Borelo. ;) Wow, it's a good news. Go Caro! Thank you, lahaa968!

kwanatic

I really hope she goes back to Bolero. Despite her stronger performance at COR, I'm still completely unmoved by her Scheherazade program. I also don't feel as though she's as invested in it as she needs to be to sell it. Bolero is wonderful really builds throughout the program...plus, we probably won't be seeing many Boleros which should help her stand out more.

briancoogaert

It would be better to go back to Afternoon of a faun or Mozart. Really, those two programs were masterpieces.
I'm not fond of Bolero, and it was hard to perform perfectly and to see the fabulous fluidity of her skating.

poths

It would be better to go back to Afternoon of a faun or Mozart. Really, those two programs were masterpieces.
I'm not fond of Bolero, and it was hard to perform perfectly and to see the fabulous fluidity of her skating.
Ditto.

Faun would be perfect. Ditch this Nichols shite and get a medal.

PashaFan

I would like to see her skate to the Mozart program she won the World title with.
It seemed to calm her. She needs to be calm......................

leapfrogonice

I loved that program (Mozart) for her as well, and agree that a calmness would highlight her cool elegance and speed. I especially loved the dramatic triple loop.

Taso

She must go back to one of the other long program of this olympiad....Mozart is my favorite piece of ladies figure skating choreography of all time so I am incredibly biased towards it, though any from this Olympiad would work. In fact...truly this long program is her worst since 2004 IMO...not the skating quality, but the program in and of itself. It it so clear by her body and facial expression that she does not engage with it, and the choreography has no life of its own...please change Caro, go out on a high note...

Macassar88

I think that Mozart and Faun are her two best programs, so either of them would be great to go back to. But I think that she'll probably go back to Bolero since it's most recent and will still be in her muscle memory.

npavel

Carolina never said she is changing her programs.
here are her message
"Dear friends, we shall inform you that Carolina will not compete at the Universiade (World University Games): she took this decision alongside with her coach because the event schedule would not fit properly into her training schedule towards the most important events of the season. Stay tuned for the next updates!"
all the rest is pure speculation by the press.
Once she said she didn't feel really comfortable with the bolero, but she wonted to challenge herself and test new borders. This year she feels her programs are really fitting her and she loves them. She had an injury but feels better now, she is just a little late in preparation. She will be at Nationals witch this year is at about one hour car-drive from her home town and I'm sure a lot of people will be there to cheer for her and has the opportunity to see her skating live.

msadot

ANY program will bring her a medal: Bolero, Tartini, Mozart, Humoresque n Sheherazade ALL made her earn a podium. She said these two reflect her better than Bolero n Tartini. I think we'll wait and see at the nationals.
IF I had to change, I would pick the one who made me earn the world medal; STILL, some say this may spoil the memory and might represent a risky step. Also, muscles need to memorialize it, too.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I still think Faun or Mozart would have the best PCS potential, but whatever she loves the best must be the best program to skate at Sochi. If so is Shehe, let her go with it. She'll feel comfortable and satisfied. I wonder if her goal at Sochii is to express her joy on the ice regardless of the results. She's mentioned to the joy to skate and appreciation to the supporters from time to time. (Even after the rather disappointing long program at CoR, she mentioned to them.) It's all about skating. She is such a great skater and an artist. I do wish her the best to show her skate of life at Sochi.

Last edited:

all_empty

I'd love for her to re-use either Debussy or Mozart.

However, she'd need to alter them to fit the ridiculous choreographic sequence rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information