The Carolina Kostner Thread

briancoogaert

Is she working on a 3flip3toe or a 3toe3toe in the free skate? I think the 2axel3toe is out of the question now that the three combos she is doing this season are on the flip, toe and sal.

She is my favorite lady skater this season (and last).
Well, she is practicing 3Flip/3Toe at official practices. ;)

jiggs

She could basically add a 3toe to either flip, lutz or toe in her free skate. I think she will be aiming for 3f3t though, as the 3flip is a good jump for her. The 3t comes rather late in the program and she might not want to risk it.

I like that Carolina is slowly upgrading her technical content and not overdoing it and adding it all at once. She is clearly capable of doing all these 3-3s judging from her practices but I think she and Huth are wise in taking their time. It seems like they want her to peak technically later on in the season. I hope she can stay healthy and keep this going for this season and next :swoon:

vexlak

I have nothing against Carolina, but IMHO if another skater would skate the same exact program, the lower marks would be far less than 70 points... Name makes a big impression, which is fundamentally wrong.
Have anyone noticed her lack of transitions? How about telegraphing her jumps? Hes jumps were not that solid for all those pluses. No steps, or difficult entrances, no height... Am I the only one who sees this?
Yes she is soft, beautiful skater and great performer (have you seen any facial expression while she skates ever?) and she skated not difficult, yet clean set (no 3+3, only 4x3pl's 1x2A, 1x2S) which was enough to get her another title (Congratulations!!!). But 70.28 in lower marks for that? Let's be honest here! Would anyone without the name get the same treatment?
Some stated that this is exactly what they are looking for in figure skating skating?
Really?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I have nothing against Carolina, but IMHO if another skater would skate the same exact program, the lower marks would be far less than 70 points... Name makes a big impression, which is fundamentally wrong.
Have anyone noticed her lack of transitions? How about telegraphing her jumps? Hes jumps were not that solid for all those pluses. No steps, or difficult entrances, no height... Am I the only one who sees this?
Yes she is soft, beautiful skater and great performer (have you seen any facial expression while she skates ever?) and she skated not difficult, yet clean set (no 3+3, only 4x3pl's 1x2A, 1x2S) which was enough to get her another title (Congratulations!!!). But 70.28 in lower marks for that? Let's be honest here! Would anyone without the name get the same treatment?
Some stated that this is exactly what they are looking for in figure skating skating?
Really?

I think you should take a look at the protocol for the FS. Her Transition mark was down on all the other components. So the judges have taken that into account. However transitions are also what comes out of the jumps and the quality of those and she had a lot of content exiting elements too which were also done to the music. Her other components reflected the quality of her performance and connection to the music. And whilst you may not find her engaging, many others, including myself do and it adds to her performance quality.

Also she is getting more +1s than +2 on the jump elements so I can see may the lack of height being reflected in those GOEs. But you have to look at all aspects of the element for the GOE. The speed with which she goes into everything is pretty amazing which would be enough to give a +1 on her jumps alone.

Yes another skater could have done that program (hey you could give a dance team T&D's Bolero) but it is the skater's individual expression, connection to music and their quality of movement that makes the program special. You cannot put that on a skater - it has to come from within the skater. In Carolina's case, I don't think any other skater could have done that program as well as she did because of what she invested of herself in it. That is why people are raving about it.

Marco

^^ and also jumping technique and form which Kostner is great at.

Plus transition isn't always about the quantity of what you see going into and coming out of a jump, it's also the quality as well as the intangibles like going from a jump straight into a spin or entering the 3loop with a counter turn, etc.

ostile17

Really?

^^^ This

And no, you're not the only one!

sk8ingcoach

Carolina deserves the components she receives. Her skating are are second to none. Transitions could obviously be better. Performance+choreography+interpretation are far superior to any lady in the past decade (exception maybe for kwan)

When executed to her ability her jumps are the best (exception for 3Lz and 3F with Yuna)

I look forward to seeing her 3F+3T combo in competition. I think it would make all the haters shut up about low technical content

jiggs

I agree that she deserves those components and I am glad she finally broke the 9s at Euros. It took her long enough to receive those kind of PCS considering how good her skating skills and programs have always been. That became clear to me while I was in Zagreb watching the ladies. This is Liza & Adelina's first senior season and they already receive PCS in the low-mid 8s. Carolina had to work for those marks so hard and for so long! I am not saying that Liza and Adelina don't deserve those scores, I am just a little baffled by how fast some other skater's PCS increase.

Carolina brings something special to the ice and that combined with her incredible skating skills and jumping technique makes her stand out and successful. She has the ability to make COP programs look special and unique which is very rare nowadays, and that IMO is the main key to her success. A lot of people in the figure skating scene regard her as one of the most interesting and creative skaters ever, and deservedly so.

That being said, Carolina is not an "easy" skater to get. It is not like she is this pretty ice princess who is appealing to everyone at the very first sight. You actually have to look beyond to appreciate some of her amazing qualities. IMO the ladies' field will be missing something once she retires.

vexlak

I agree that she deserves those components and I am glad she finally broke the 9s at Euros. It took her long enough to receive those kind of PCS considering how good her skating skills and programs have always been. That became clear to me while I was in Zagreb watching the ladies. This is Liza & Adelina's first senior season and they already receive PCS in the low-mid 8s. Carolina had to work for those marks so hard and for so long! I am not saying that Liza and Adelina don't deserve those scores, I am just a little baffled by how fast some other skater's PCS increase.

Carolina brings something special to the ice and that combined with her incredible skating skills and jumping technique makes her stand out and successful. She has the ability to make COP programs look special and unique which is very rare nowadays, and that IMO is the main key to her success. A lot of people in the figure skating scene regard her as one of the most interesting and creative skaters ever, and deservedly so.

That being said, Carolina is not an "easy" skater to get. It is not like she is this pretty ice princess who is appealing to everyone at the very first sight. You actually have to look beyond to appreciate some of her amazing qualities. IMO the ladies' field will be missing something once she retires.

You may be correct. Yet the competition was supposed to be a sporting event judged by referees that should go by some rules that we all have access to and should apply to everyone equally. Again, I have nothing against Carolinas skating, I only pointed out that if anyone else would have skated exactly the same, the lower marks would have never be close to 70... We should not earn points based on names, prior skating history or based on or off ice presence.
We should not fall in love with a skater and state "she deserves it" and judge him/her that way. Again, she skated very nice, but not close to 70.23 for lower marks which we all know it helped her to a another title.

jiggs

Again, I have nothing against Carolinas skating, I only pointed out that if anyone else would have skated exactly the same, the lower marks would have never be close to 70...

No one else would have received 70 for for it because no one else even has the ability to skate and present it as well as Carolina did.

dinakt

Carolina deserves the components she receives. Her skating are are second to none. Transitions could obviously be better. Performance+choreography+interpretation are far superior to any lady in the past decade (exception maybe for kwan)

When executed to her ability her jumps are the best (exception for 3Lz and 3F with Yuna)

I look forward to seeing her 3F+3T combo in competition. I think it would make all the haters shut up about low technical content

This.
Carolina deserves 10s in PE, SS and IN. What she does with blade and interpretation is as superior to the rest of the field as V/M and D/W are superior to the rest of Dance. I like many other current Ladies, some deserve great PCS, but Carolina is just on another level.

npavel

You may be correct. Yet the competition was supposed to be a sporting event judged by referees that should go by some rules that we all have access to and should apply to everyone equally. Again, I have nothing against Carolinas skating, I only pointed out that if anyone else would have skated exactly the same, the lower marks would have never be close to 70... We should not earn points based on names, prior skating history or based on or off ice presence.
We should not fall in love with a skater and state "she deserves it" and judge him/her that way. Again, she skated very nice, but not close to 70.23 for lower marks which we all know it helped her to a another title.
sorry if you can't see it, Brian Orser said this program was so perfect and there is no skater in the world who can skate it like Carolina did. Her pics were all deserved, she should have get more.
I think this program is a masterpiece and like PJ Kwong said Kostner's free program to Ravel's Bolero for me is head and shoulders above everybody else's this season, for which we can thank Lori Nichol.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2013/01/standout-performances-at-europeans.html
and like Urmanov I think the score for the components which she gets is absolutely justified
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=495833523800724&id=113697665347647

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think this program is a masterpiece and like PJ Kwong said Kostner's free program to Ravel's Bolero for me is head and shoulders above everybody else's this season, for which we can thank Lori Nichol.
I wasn't quite convinced the first time I saw Bolero but the more I watch it the more I definitely think Kostner has nailed it. And her SP is quite stunning.

museksk8r

Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy
This.
Carolina deserves 10s in PE, SS and IN. What she does with blade and interpretation is as superior to the rest of the field as V/M and D/W are superior to the rest of Dance. I like many other current Ladies, some deserve great PCS, but Carolina is just on another level.

Right on . . . I definitely agree! :)

Clean SP (3Lo, 3T+3T, 2A, L4 on steps & 2 of 3 spins) by Carolina today in The Hague and she leads with 72.81. :)

WHEEEEEEE! GOOOOOOO CARO!!! :D

jiggs

Don't know if this was discussed earlier, but does the front of Caro's costume represent hands playing on piano keys, or what? :confused:

Apparently she is meant to represent an innocent girl (hence the white dress) that is trying to escape from Frankenstein who is trying to catch her (represented by the two red hands that are wrapped around her waist). I think the general idea is good but the dress itself hasn't been done well. She wore a different dress at Challenge Cup so I hope this means they will add further changes to her white dress ...

jiggs

^^ Thanks. Do you know where the music and the idea come from?

The music is called "A Transylvanian Lullaby" (from the movie "Young Frankenstein") and was apparently suggested to her by Lori Nichol. The concept of the program I guess was also done by Lori but I am pretty sure Carolina always plays a big part in the creative process of her programs. The idea of the dress was probably her's in cooperation with her dress makers. Here is a draft from the SP dress: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...94247397.87568.226937100651684&type=1&theater. IMO it looks much better on the draft than in reality.

And this is a sketch of the Bolero FP dress which looks almost identical in reality and imo works much better than the SP dress: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...94247397.87568.226937100651684&type=1&theater

Last edited:

lauravvv

Apparently she is meant to represent an innocent girl (hence the white dress) that is trying to escape from Frankenstein who is trying to catch her (represented by the two red hands that are wrapped around her waist). I think the general idea is good but the dress itself hasn't been done well. She wore a different dress at Challenge Cup so I hope this means they will add further changes to her white dress ...
I too hope that she will wear something different at Worlds. I understand the idea, but in the way how it was executed it looked more like a cake with white frosting and a red bow decor, or a curtain decor, or something like that.

jiggs

Free skate at Challenge Cup:
3lz, 1A, 3f3t<, 1l, 3t2t, 3sal2t, 3sal
Score 126.09

Despite the mistakes, I am happy to see she is planning to go for 7 triples!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information