The Carolina Kostner Thread

blue_idealist

I hope she stays and competes until Sochi.. I know she often screws up at the Olympics but she really has a better chance of winning a medal this time around, as she was never World Champion before either.

Katarzyna

I think it's not only being a World Champion what will give her a better chance to win a medal, but also the fact that it looks like she has now learned how to control her nerves. And I admit a couple of years ago I thought this would never happen - sometimes it's just so good to be wrong. :lol:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think it's not only being a World Champion what will give her a better chance to win a medal, but also the fact that it looks like she has now learned how to control her nerves. And I admit a couple of years ago I thought this would never happen - sometimes it's just so good to be wrong. :lol:
There seems to be a real enjoyment in her skating these days and she just looks very happy and at peace. It is like the pressure is off and she can relax.

jiggs

I wonder when she will announce whether she will stay competitive or not. GP assignments are released later this month, right? I know she has been terribly busy since Worlds and probably hasn't had time to properly sit down and reflect yet.

I guess there is a possibility that she will not do the GP but maybe come back for Euros? But on the other hand, the more competitions she does the better and more consistent she has become during seasons ...

I will miss her terribly if she decides to retire :(

spikydurian

I think it's not only being a World Champion what will give her a better chance to win a medal, but also the fact that it looks like she has now learned how to control her nerves.
Carolina is a joy to watch. Hope she will go on to Sochi.

npavel

I wonder when she will announce whether she will stay competitive or not. GP assignments are released later this month, right? I know she has been terribly busy since Worlds and probably hasn't had time to properly sit down and reflect yet.

I guess there is a possibility that she will not do the GP but maybe come back for Euros? But on the other hand, the more competitions she does the better and more consistent she has become during seasons ...

I will miss her terribly if she decides to retire :(

I don't think so, she said either she will compete or retire, she don't like the half way.

Katarzyna

I don't think so, she said either she will compete or retire, she don't like the half way.
One more reason to like her. I'm not really fond of skaters skipping the GP and then competing only at major events like Euros, 4CC or Worlds. :shuffle:

Katarzyna

Carolina has been honoured by Italian President Giorgio Napolitano for her achievements: http://www.sportnews.bz/index.php?i...=12188&cHash=f08622ac831e5bcc2c8c772808deae86
Thank you for the update! Good for Carolina to receive more honours! :)

However, I hardly can imagine her doing service in a jailhouse. :eek:

(As the link is in German, for those not able to read the article - she has been promoted to the rank of a major jailhouse constable in relation to her service unit)

jiggs

Some news, seems like Carolina hasn't decided whether she will continue competing or not, she signed up for the GP just in case. Here is a video for everyone speaking Italian: http://video.gazzetta.it/?vxSiteId=...9e0-af1d-11e1-859a-544d279fd6b2&vxBitrate=300

Opera on Ice 2012 will take place on September 22, starring Carolina, Stéphane, Evgeni, Aliona/Robin and Anna/Luca: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...87368600024.554179.75707050023&type=1&theater

Photos of Carolina as testimonial of Axel Roma (no idea what that is): http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.479072242107567.127646.320324777982315&type=1

Carolina being interviewed live on BBC radio yesterday, starting at 03:12:00 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00t6c6h

magnolia

:(

It would be a great loss to figure skating if Carolina were to really quit at this point.

But to choose to quit on a high note may also be the decision of a very wise person. (I am thinking Fumie.)

If she leave competition, I hope to enjoy her skating in shows!

love_skate2011

Banned Member
:(

It would be a great loss to figure skating if Carolina were to really quit at this point.

But to choose to quit on a high note may also be the decision of a very wise person. (I am thinking Fumie.)

If she leave competition, I hope to enjoy her skating in shows!

yes, she has that option depending on how her current body responds unfortunately :( but she can till make it 2014 if Butyrskaya ( 29 ) and Suzuki ( 28 ) can still compete in their late 20's

sk8ingcoach

As much as i would be sad if Carolina chose to retire now, it may be a good move. And if she is not skating well enough to possibly match her brilliant last season, i would be disappointed all the time

I want her to stay, but only if she continues to skate well like this past season. We dont want to see another 2009-2010 season from her

t.mann

No.
Out of veteran ladies(Caro, Rochette, Ando, Suzuki, Czisny etc.), IMO the most brilliant skater is about to leave first. :wuzrobbed

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
The Jeffrey Buttle approach, and it worked for him. I'm sure Carolina would have no problem keeping busy even she ends her competitive career, though for my own selfish reasons I hope she stays through Sochi to hopefully go out with a good Olympic experience.

I must say, she seemed kind of undecided. I'm sure her federation will try to persuade her to stick around longer. I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out...

Emdee

The difference with Buttle was he already had Chan who had defeated him once at Nationals. Who does Caro have that is of her level nationally.

I think with so many veterans coming back she may feel that she has no chance at Olys and prefer to be done on the high note!

jiggs

I think with so many veterans coming back she may feel that she has no chance at Olys and prefer to be done on the high note!

I don't necessarily think that's the reason. She has said since Worlds that retirement may very well be an option for her but that she would like to take her time to properly think about it. She said that 2 years till Sochi is a long commitment and she has to figure out whether she is willing to make that commitment or not. Her boyfriend will be at London Olympics and probably quit after that so this would be their chance/time to have some kind of normal life toghether for the first time in their lives.

However, nothing is official yet so we will have to wait till the press conference.

shine

I thought she was just getting into her zone. I hope she doesn't retire. She still has so much to offer :(

lauravvv

I thought she was just getting into her zone. I hope she doesn't retire. She still has so much to offer :(
Yes, it would be a bit of a pity, although understandable. I have come to really like her this last season. While before she was musical and elegant at best times, her skating mostly seemed a bit cold to me. Now she doesn't seem cold at all. Most likely it's because of her new confidence. Now her joy of skating is apparent, and she really looks like a star on ice. Of course, there are shows as well, but it seems like she won't skate in those all that much either if she decides to retire.

Last edited:

masofs

I don't want her to retire because I love her skating but I understand if she does it. If she wants to quit on a high note and no longer has the motivation to compete, more power to her. I just wish her the best, whatever she does.

FSfan107

I really hope Carolina doesn't retire, but I understand her reasoning if she does.

eleonorad

The difference with Buttle was he already had Chan who had defeated him once at Nationals. Who does Caro have that is of her level nationally.

No one. But she could wait a few more years and nothing would chance unless some foreign talented skater decides to switch country.
Once Marchei will retire, a golden era for Italian single skating will end (the beginning of the end was Contesti retiring), and she's likely to retire right after Sochi (she's from 1986)

blue_idealist

It's too bad if Carolina retires, but at least it will give Valentina Marchei the chance to go to an Olympics. Btw, who is Carolina's boyfriend?

MsZem

I see the sea
It's too bad if Carolina retires, but at least it will give Valentina Marchei the chance to go to an Olympics. Btw, who is Carolina's boyfriend?
I think it's Alex Schwazer - they've been together for a long time.

Marchei deserves to finally go to the Olympics and I hope she does, whether Kostner retires or not. If Kostner doesn't retire, I'm sure Italy will have at least two spots in Sochi, if not three.

bartek

This season was the very first time I started to like Carolina's skating. Her programs where beautiful and she was finally skating with emotions. I'll be sad if she decides to retire because now I finally enjoy her skating and I would like to see more of it. Also, her skating skills are really on top of their game now. In the past, she tended to lost control sometimes because of her huge speed. Now, she is in total control. If she could only regain her tough jumps she would be a complete package. Nevertheless, I understand if she wants to retire now, on a high note.

jiggs

International Figure Skating posted on their Facebook that apparently Carolina is currently in Canada getting her programs done. I can't wait to find out which music she will be skating to and hope we will find out soon!

Her next appearance will be her skating show "Opera on Ice" where she will perform together with Stéphane to "Romeo and Juliet". I also read somewhere that she will skate a Senior B sometime in December before Italian Nationals.

pingu

Her next appearance will be her skating show "Opera on Ice" where she will perform together with Stéphane to "Romeo and Juliet". I also read somewhere that she will skate a Senior B sometime in December before Italian Nationals.

She is going to compete at Goden Spin of Zagreb (December 5th-9th). Italian nationals is going to be held in Milan, a week before Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information